You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

poker software tools

edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
Whilst searching the net for poker info kept coming across software tools, anybody use any? thoughts and comments please

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Forget them. They can give some useful information but players who use them become reliant upon them. The info they give can be learnt by reading tutorials on here, or from good books such as Harrington 1&2 (3 is a waste of money imo). Read threads such as TP and visit the strategy section daily.

The information given by software tools can be useful in low level cash games but it's not going to help your progression. Regarding tournaments they are a complete waste of time. As the tournament progresses the values of hole cards change dramatically. Software tools will prevent, not help, your ability to read a situation and make appropriate moves.

In short your game will be so predictable that any competent player will rip you to pieces.
  • edited February 2010
    I disagree, I got a free Poker Tracker 3 licence by earning poker points on a rival site. It's a great tool for analyzing your game between sessions. Leaks you didn't know you had suddenly stand out like a sore thumb. After a few thousand hands you can examine all aspects of your play in great detail, the range of statistics available is incredible. The HUD is a very handy tool when you find yourself playing somebody you've played before, even if you've forgotten about that player. Immediately you have detailed statistics about their style of play in previous sessions in front of you.

It's very true that software tools alone will never turn anybody a good player, money can't buy you skills and the tools can't play the hands for you, but used properly they can certainly help you improve your play.

One thing you need to know though kustom-vw, as far as I know none of these software tools are compatible with Sky Poker, Poker Tracker certainly isn't.
  • edited February 2010
    By software tools I assumed he meant Holdem Genious etc. Which give hand rankings and flop/turn/river probabilities, as opposed to statistical instruments such as poker tracker.
  • edited February 2010
    Well they are absolutely useless in live tournaments, so why rely on them to play online. Best method for me is to read a few books on the basics, then use that knowelage whilst developing your own style of play. Refer to tutorials in the forum and ask other forum members for help.

Once you have developed your game, you may want to move on to more advance poker strategies/percentages etc to fine tune your game.

Every player will develop their own style of play - there is no substitute for experience.
  • edited February 2010
    Tools like Holdem Manager and Poker Tracker are invaluable online because you multi table. They help you keep track of what your opponents are doing while on other tables. if your not using them in my opinion your opponents have the edge over you.
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: poker software tools:
    Well they are absolutely useless in live tournaments, so why rely on them to play online. Best method for me is to read a few books on the basics, then use that knowelage whilst developing your own style of play. Refer to tutorials in the forum and ask other forum members for help. Once you have developed your game, you may want to move on to more advance poker strategies/percentages etc to fine tune your game. Every player will develop their own style of play - there is no substitute for experience.
    Posted by POKERTREV
    People rarely use these for tournament play due to rising blinds switching people's play up as the tournament progresses. Live & Online are 2 different animals, i don't play 8 tables cash live either but thats no reason not to do it online.

Trackers are mainly used to best effect by multi tabling cash game players in which case they are extreamly useful (many of the same players play the same stakes day in day out so they can pick up a lot of data). For the OP's info these Trackers are of no use to Sky Poker Players as they are not compatible but may become so when the download client arrives. If you want to try them out then you can get a free 2 month trial by downloading pokertracker 3 (just google it as i'm not allowed to give links) but you will have to use it with a site that has a download client not a web browser based set up
  • edited February 2010
    There has been debate on other threads about this. Basically there are some people who like them and some people who think it is cheating. I have used them on other sites. However, I dislike them as it puts recreational players off playing poker and without these players there is no poker industry.
  • edited February 2010
    There has been debate on other threads about this. Basically there are some people who like them and some people who think it is cheating. I have used them on other sites. However, I dislike them as it puts recreational players off playing poker and without these players there is no poker industry.
    Posted by ajs4385
    Most incisive - very "diplomatically" worded too!
  • edited February 2010
    Well they are absolutely useless in live tournaments, so why rely on them to play online. Best method for me is to read a few books on the basics, then use that knowelage whilst developing your own style of play. Refer to tutorials in the forum and ask other forum members for help. Once you have developed your game, you may want to move on to more advance poker strategies/percentages etc to fine tune your game. Every player will develop their own style of play - there is no substitute for experience.
    Posted by POKERTREV

You can get an app for that.

and if you cant , you bloomin well should be able to.   I might invent one.  Anyone even thinking of taking this idea to dragons den, I want 25% minimum
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: poker software tools : You can get an app for that. and if you cant , you bloomin well should be able to.   I might invent one.  Anyone even thinking of taking this idea to dragons den, I want 25% minimum
    Posted by OMahonyO
    For that reason ...im out
  • edited February 2010

well i use sharkscope on double up tables,

and find it to be very beneficial,

i click up a graph on the players,

and can see in a instant if i am in a loose table,

or tight table and then play my game accordingly .

one can  see is the player a improving player ,

is the player on a good run ,

is he/she on a bad run ,

is he/she playing this format regularly e.t.c

this i find to be a useful poker tool and available to everyone,

only costs a tenner a month,

depending on your buy ins its not much,

all above takes a extra effort but worth the results !

rover and out !