You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Be careful out there!

edited February 2017 in Poker Chat
Quite saddened to see a post on FB relating to poker and betting and how it can ruin friendships and cost people a lot of money. Obviously those affected will know what I'm on about. Just a couple of words of warning to all:-

1. Always play within your bankroll, if you need to borrow money to gamble or play poker then you've got it wrong.

2. Don't lend money to people to help them with the above.

Obviously you may think there are exceptions to this but be very, very careful, only gamble with amounts you can safely afford to lose and only lend amounts you can afford to never get back.

Apart from that have a great weekend! 

Comments

• edited February 2017

This is all very sad.

Your discretion is appreciated Paul (ditto Lambo).

I'm afraid direct reference will not be allowed by Sky Poker, for a multitude of reasons & if we go there, threads will have to be removed, which aids none of us.

As long as we can be discrete, it's fine for now.

Facebook has a thread where it can all be discussed, as does blondepoker, where the rules & restrictions are different, which has a thread dedicated to this matter "Latest Grimmer Alert".

Thank you.    

• edited February 2017
    What is  grimmer?   
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Be careful out there!:
    What is  grimmer?   
    Posted by tsarina
    I am guessing roughly the opposite of someone who borrows money, pays everyone back when they should and has some moral integrity :)
  • edited February 2017
    What is  grimmer?   
    Posted by tsarina
    It's often used (in poker) in the sense of someone who sells action in a tournament, wins some money, and then decides they don't wanna pay out people their returns.

I guess it can also just mean someone borrowing money and not repaying, but the former is the definition I'd give.
  • edited February 2017
    Just caught up on this following the clues.

Tbh read more like a Nigerian 101 scam than grimming.

Shocking number of people and amount of money involved.

• edited February 2017
    Why would you loan money to a "winning player"

Incred

• edited February 2017
    What is  grimmer?   
    Posted by tsarina
    Generally, obtaining money under false pretences from friends &/or acquaintances to fund poker & sports betting addictions. There are hundreds of examples if you care to visit 2+2.

In most cases, Sports Betting is the problem.

If you have several hours to spare & want to see how these things work, google "Blatchgate" which is the most "celebrated" (if that be the word) grim in recent years.

• edited February 2017
    Why would you loan money to a "winning player" Incred
    Posted by gerardirl
    To be fair there are hundreds if not thousands of examples of this working out well for all concerned compared to the odd 'grimmer'. There are also a lot of more secure avenues to get involved in this type of staking.

Sometimes players want to play juicier games that look very +EV but cannot afford the risk (such as big buy in weekly games or even WSOP games). At the same time there are a lot of stakers who are willing to take the risk for a share of the potential spoils. A LOT of WSOP players have 'borrowed' money or rather 'been staked', with plenty major success stories.

It is easy to think 'why would a winning player need to be staked?' However as a crude example if someone is steadily winning a couple of hundred quid every week over a long period they clearly have an edge and are winning money. This may not be enough however to let them grow their benkroll to buy into 'Big Games', even although they have an edge... Enter the 'staker'.

Another example to show it can work... I sold 25% of my action for £10,000 in a game once. It meant if I bricked the game I still got the £10k + I was guaranteed a $10k cash so was sure to make a few quid and could play with a clearer head, less pressured. In the end the investor got $25k (minus his investment) and so made a tidy profit.

It definitely works for some people, you do however, just as you mentioned, have to 'be careful out there'.
  • edited February 2017
    Ah ok so it was a stake as opposed to a loan.

So then there is always a high risk it can be lost.

• edited February 2017
    Ah ok so it was a stake as opposed to a loan. So then there is always a high risk it can be lost.
    Posted by gerardirl
    Im not sure Ger, I was just speaking generally in relation to 'why would you loan a winning player money'. 

Definitely a risk in staking although not many stakers would cry foul in the scenario where their stakee loses. They would if said player won a bit of cash and didn't honour the stake though.
  • edited February 2017
    Ah ok so it was a stake as opposed to a loan. So then there is always a high risk it can be lost.
    Posted by gerardirl
    No in this case it wasn't for staking, it was supposedly to help through a certain period of time with his (supposedly) very successful business and you have to remember a lot of these people were very good friends (or so they thought) for the better part of 10 years so were maybe too trusting.

Alot of people in poker tend  to have large amounts of money lying around cos your roll is often much bigger than you'll need most of the time. I've lent people in poke money before but only people I realllllly trust and even then I go in knowing I will only lend an amount to that it won't hurt too much to lose.  Thankfully the people I know are nice and I've yet to be burnt....
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Be careful out there! : Generally, obtaining money under false pretences from friends &/or acquaintances to fund poker & sports betting addictions. There are hundreds of examples if you care to visit 2+2. In most cases, Sports Betting is the problem. If you have several hours to spare & want to see how these things work, google "Blatchgate" which is the most "celebrated" (if that be the word) grim in recent years.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Grrrr tikay 2 hours of my life I'll never get back... even though I read it back when it happened, irony of ironies the op now has nearly 10k posts on that site now after being originally lambasted for trying to out him
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Be careful out there! : Grrrr tikay 2 hours of my life I'll never get back... even though I read it back when it happened, irony of ironies the op now has nearly 10k posts on that site now after being originally lambasted for trying to out him
    Posted by yourfired
    Quite the story, eh?

Our man who outed him can be a bit of a pain, tbh, & has been banned numerous times since. Has quite a high opinion of himself, to put it mildly.

Last night I saw the full blog of the recent affair. Oh my Lord. My sympathies go out to all those who have suffered financial hurt. Many of them are my friends & or acquaintances, & the amounts involved are very significant to them. It's a terrible do, it really is.   
  • edited February 2017
    'The grim reaper genuflects and..... strikes again
  • edited February 2017
    Why would you loan money to a "winning player" Incred
    Posted by gerardirl
    Although the hendon mob stats state quite a good return, buy ins by far overtook the winnings
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Be careful out there! : Although the hendon mob stats state quite a good return, buy ins by far overtook the winnings
    Posted by thom111
    As you imply, the problem with THM stats - unlike Sharkscope - is that they reflect cashes only, & don't account for any losses at all.

So a player could be showing s having £1,000,000 in cashes, but he my have paid £3,000,000 in entries.

As a measure of profitability, it has zero value.

Nice to see our cashes on there though, & for that reason, I like it.