You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How have I become a not so good player!!!

edited February 2017 in Poker Chat
I havent made a final table or even top 10 in any tourneys for months not.......Just wondering what I am doing wrong, or as my luck ust ran out!!! I wouldnt say I was a regular player and only really play £2.20 deep stacks, but I would nearly always run deep in tournies.......Now i just dont seem to be able to hit a barn door......And if I get a half decent hand I always seem to get beat!!!I dont think I have changed the way I play, but what I do know is that I am not enjoying it much now (obviously)... I wouldnt really say I was a good player, but I am in profit........Is it normal to go so long on a bad run?? Should I just give up..lol........Any advice would be really appreciated!!

Comments

• edited February 2017
    mtts u can go ages months without getting into a final table as the variance is so high if u are feeling down and think u are running bad etc  just play some sit n goes dyms or normal 1s just to get your confidence back but like i say in mtts u can go ages without a cash pal dont be so hard on yourself if u are playing the game the right way and getting it when we are good thats all we can do good luck
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to How have I become a not so good player!!!:
    I havent made a final table or even top 10 in any tourneys for months not.......Just wondering what I am doing wrong, or as my luck ust ran out!!! I wouldnt say I was a regular player and only really play £2.20 deep stacks, but I would nearly always run deep in tournies.......Now i just dont seem to be able to hit a barn door......And if I get a half decent hand I always seem to get beat!!!I dont think I have changed the way I play, but what I do know is that I am not enjoying it much now (obviously)... I wouldnt really say I was a good player, but I am in profit........Is it normal to go so long on a bad run?? Should I just give up..lol........Any advice would be really appreciated!!
    Posted by camilog
    Looking at your graph, your results are pretty steady and your ROI is excellent. I see what you mean with the downturn of late.

It could just be a bad run, it could be you are playing differently etc. The most likely thing is that it is a mixture of things. 

It is very possible to have a little run like the one you have had of late and it just be a bit of 'run bad'. However I think the field sizes you play are relatively small which means variance is less of a factor (although still a factor).

Personally over the years I get regular spells when I do less well. I used to wonder why and could let it bother me. These days I assume my game and style has just veered a little of course which just happens from time to time.

I would suggest having a short break and during that time posting some hands in the strategy section, watching a few training videos or reading a few poker books. Also have a think about your own game and how it relates to the videos or books you are looking at. Think what aspects of your game you could improve or tweek.

If you are remotely like me the short break from playing and reading/watching videos on the game will have you itching to play again.

With me personally almost every time I veer off course it has something to do with pot control. I can be getting it in with strongs hands and generally ahead but I am not getting enough milage out of my stack and am 'playing for stacks' with my hands, instead of having a dialogue through the play and being prepared to fold/call or raise depending on the information available (I needlessly made this mistake in a pot with Hendrik last night and immediately realised my mistake).
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to How have I become a not so good player!!!:
    Posted by camilog
    Hi Camilog
    The stand out thing in your post is " I don't think I have changed the way I play". People will have notes on you and can easily exploit your play, mix things up a bit, play position, bet strong when you have it against stations.
    Yes it's normal to go on bad runs for a while, especially playing the mtt's we do.
    Make notes on others play. Good luck on the felt.
  • edited February 2017
    BACK IN THE GAME.
    All the best.
    Rainman215.
  • edited February 2017
    Thanks for all the replies people....... Just been heads up with rainman, and he as just given me a lesson!!!!lol

Well done rainman.....pleasure to play against you mate........your a gentleman........

I am back.......I hope...lol

Once again thanks for constructive replies!
  • edited February 2017
    WELL DONE Camilog.......and RAINMAN too.....a true Gent of the Felt (Don't forget the Saturday Horse Racing Naps Table!!!....I see your giving us a start RM)

I hadn't played on the site for nearly 3 months as I was suffering a similar fate to you Camilog, and didn't like Bounty Hunter January, but SKY gave me some 10th Birthday tokens so I thought I'd better use one before it expires. The rest has obviously done me some good THANK YOU SKY. (we actually share the same Birthday too)

£2.20 Deepy @ 9.15pm

onoo6200001£69.32
    MISTY4ME02£42.28
    Hawkinni03£26.04
    davidson0904£20.96
    Stats8705£17.86
    Rodders70706£15.38
    bstingmore07£12.77
    kevin198008£10.29
    Shaggyscoo09£7.94
    biglesbo010£7.94
    ForFive011£6.08
    biggsy6209012£6.08
    wayne1952013£5.08
    hathechewe014
  • edited February 2017
    well done Misty........a bit of a confidence booster for us both...