You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

It's probability time again. With things you can try at home. Inside your sock draw.

edited February 2017 in Poker Chat
In Response to It's probability time again.:
Edit, I'll do this from home. Later.
Posted by mumsie

what was the probability of that? :)

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Edit, I'll do this from home. Later.
  • edited February 2017
    If it's a probability question, I'm going for 0.5. With a 0.499999 recurring margin of error.
  • edited February 2017
     Thanks Chris and FCHC and sorry about the false start. I dare not put home event probabilities and likelyhoods here for fear of jinxing them.

I'm starting a probability thread  for fun and to see if I can learn something and perhaps clear some merky poker waters , there is so much I don't know and some great explainers here .

Without further ado. 

I'm going to start with basic stuff and hopefully build up to escape velocity equations that apply to poker scenarios.

We toss two fair coins. 

Assuming the tosses are independent, what's the probability of getting two heads?

• edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: It's probability time again.:
     Thanks Chris and FCHC and sorry about the false start. I dare not put home event probabilities and likelyhoods here for fear of jinxing them. I'm starting a probability thread  for fun and to see if I can learn something and perhaps clear some merky poker waters , there is so much I don't know and some great explainers here . Without further ado.  I'm going to start with basic stuff and hopefully build up to escape velocity equations that apply to poker scenarios. We toss two fair coins.  Assuming the tosses are independent, what's the probability of getting two heads?
    Posted by mumsie
    probably a higher probability on valentines
  • edited February 2017
    You just  can't get the students these days ;)
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: It's probability time again.:
     Thanks Chris and FCHC and sorry about the false start. I dare not put home event probabilities and likelyhoods here for fear of jinxing them. I'm starting a probability thread  for fun and to see if I can learn something and perhaps clear some merky poker waters , there is so much I don't know and some great explainers here . Without further ado.  I'm going to start with basic stuff and hopefully build up to escape velocity equations that apply to poker scenarios. We toss two fair coins.  Assuming the tosses are independent, what's the probability of getting two heads?
    Posted by mumsie
    When the probability is you are behind, gravitate towards the fold button or you won't escape
  • edited February 2017
  • edited February 2017
    Cheers chaps and chapesses

Cheers Glen, we get there by 0.5 * 0.5 . .

Next 

Six individual socks are sitting in a drawer: 

two red, two blue, and two purple.

The universal sock law applies and you pick a first sock and then anothrr sock from the remaining five. 

Assume the two choices are independent. 

What's the probability you end up with matching socks?
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: It's probability time again. Socks now, but never socks again.:
    Cheers chaps and chapesses Cheers Glen, we get there by 0.5 * 0.5 . . Next  Six individual socks are sitting in a drawer:  two red, two blue, and two purple. The universal sock law applies and you pick a first sock and then anothrr sock from the remaining five.  Assume the two choices are independent.  What's the probability you end up with matching socks?
    Posted by mumsie
    Assuming you were picking in a 'lucky dip' type way

1 in 5 or 20%.

There is 1 remaining sock that matches and 4 that don't.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: It's probability time again. Socks now, but never socks again.:
    Cheers chaps and chapesses Cheers Glen, we get there by 0.5 * 0.5 . . Next  Six individual socks are sitting in a drawer:  two red, two blue, and two purple. The universal sock law applies and you pick a first sock and then anothrr sock from the remaining five.  Assume the two choices are independent.  What's the probability you end up with matching socks?
    Posted by mumsie
    zero - by the law of sock dynamics the bayesian principle doesn't apply. Just the same as when you take your socks out of the washing machine and there is always an odd one left over.
  • edited February 2017
    Posted by mumsie
    if you pick a red and a blue one ....... 

that would mean that there was a red and a blue one still left ....... so......

you would have 2 pairs of red and blue and a pair of purple, so strangely enough even by picking odd socks you still have the same........

I think......

ot not  :)
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: It's probability time again. Socks now, but never socks again. : Assuming you were picking in a 'lucky dip' type way 1 in 5 or 20%. There is 1 remaining sock that matches and 4 that don't.
    Posted by markycash
    Would the answer be 1, if you were colour blind?
    You'd never know the difference