You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cheltenham Anti-Post Question. I've tried Customer Support, could someone from SKY please clarify.

edited February 2017 in Betting Chat
No,you will not get 3 places as only two places paid.
But you will get 1/4 the odds if your horse finishes in the first 2.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Hi, I have a question regarding AntiPost betting.

I am sure some of you horse racing enthusiast will know the answer to this:

If I place an anti-post bet today, say on the Champion Hurdle.

If I do it Each Way and the place terms when placing the bet are say 1/5th odds first three.

If say only 6 runners line up on the day do I still get three places?

I know in normal betting there has to be at least 8 runners for 3 places, however at the time of placing the bet there would have been atleast 8 hopeful runners.

So do I still get the original place terms regardless of the number of actual runners on the day itself?

Any assistence will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Graham

• edited February 2017
    In Response to Cheltenham Anti-Post Question:
    Hi, I have a question regarding AntiPost betting. I am sure some of you horse racing enthusiast will know the answer to this: If I place an anti-post bet today, say on the Champion Hurdle. If I do it Each Way and the place terms when placing the bet are say 1/5th odds first three. If say only 6 runners line up on the day do I still get three places? I know in normal betting there has to be at least 8 runners for 3 places, however at the time of placing the bet there would have been atleast 8 hopeful runners. So do I still get the original place terms regardless of the number of actual runners on the day itself? Any assistence will be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Graham
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Hi Graham,
                  As far as I know, all bookmakers should have the same rule on this, but always check with the one you are placing the bet with.

Until recently I had worked for Ladbrokes, and then William Hill for 32 years. They both state that, 
    "all ante post bets are settled at the price, and each way terms applicable at the time the bet was placed. Adjustments will not be made for subsequent changes after bet placement."

So yes you can get paid for 3rd place in a six runner race for ante post bets only, if those were the terms you struck the bet at. You get the upside, to balance the downside of losing your money if it becomes a non runner, and taking the 1/5th odds for your place, when everyone else is getting 1/4 odds.

Hope this helps, Ed.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Cheltenham Anti-Post Question:
    No,you will not get 3 places as only two places paid. But you will get 1/4 the odds if your horse finishes in the first 2.
    Posted by wynne1938
    I'm pretty sure you would get 3 places Graham coz that was the terms when you put the bet on. (Ask SKYBET CC to confirm) If you put the bet on on the day and there was only 7 runners or less then it would be only 2 places. If you back with SKY they are non runner/no bet (as are quite a few firms) which is good coz if your horse doesn't run you get your money back, though prices are slightly lower as a rule. You can check best prices and favourable terms(each way offers etc), on www.Oddschecker.com.

Hope this helps G..... and GOOD LUCK mate
  • edited February 2017
    All sounds a bit odd to me.If the race ended up with 4 runners on the day, they pay 3 places?Best check the terms with your layer.
    edrich, there's another player who worked for William Hill for thirty years, from Birmingham, bearace is his alias, not sure where you are from though.He said its not a pleasant place to work now, with the FOBTs in the shops.
  • edited February 2017
    All sounds a bit odd to me.If the race ended up with 4 runners on the day, they pay 3 places?Best check the terms with your layer. edrich, there's another player who worked for William Hill for thirty years, from Birmingham, bearace is his alias, not sure where you are from though.He said its not a pleasant place to work now, with the FOBTs in the shops.
    Posted by chilling

even with 3 runners Chill........ but it would be doubtful the one you'd backed would be one of those left, thats where the bookies win on ante-post betting, thats why it's good when the firms go non runner/no bet.
  • edited February 2017
    No,you will not get 3 places as only two places paid. But you will get 1/4 the odds if your horse finishes in the first 2.
    Posted by wynne1938

Hi Mist, Chill, Wynne and all.

I checked with customer care and Wynne's statement above is correct, even for anti-post bets.

Cheers for the help.

G
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Cheltenham Anti-Post Question : even with 3 runners Chill........ but it would be doubtful the one you'd backed would be one of those left, thats where the bookies win on ante-post betting, thats why it's good when the firms go non runner/no bet.
    Posted by MISTY4ME
    Misty, you concentrate on your golf,and remember, take a nice divot.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Cheltenham Anti-Post Question : Misty, you concentrate on your golf,and remember, take a nice divot.
    Posted by chilling
    Chill..... you know I'm a 'fair-weather golfer'

Golf in the Summer.......Jump racing and a bit of Poker in the Winter

.....and I did work in a betting shop for a little while in my distant past.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Cheltenham Anti-Post Question : Hi Mist, Chill, Wynne and all. I checked with customer care and Wynne's statement above is correct, even for anti-post bets. Cheers for the help. G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Don't bet with SKY then....... I'm sure the terms offered at the time of the bet stand as per Edrich's post. Probably all irrelevant with this year's Champion Hurdle coz it's quite open, whereas Arkle Trophy and Queen Mother Champion Chase will both be small fields, probably 7 or less.

I will have to look up T&C's of ante-post betting now though
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Cheltenham Anti-Post Question : Hi Mist, Chill, Wynne and all. I checked with customer care and Wynne's statement above is correct, even for anti-post bets. Cheers for the help. G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Hi Graham,
                  I think cc may have been mistaken there.

Rule 5 of Sky Bet's "General Ante Post Rules" also reads,

"Ante post bets are settled at the price and place terms applicable at the time of acceptance"

Ed.
  • edited February 2017
    I havent read any of the T's and C's so cant confirm what the actual rule is, but I have never known any firm to pay out at the ante-post placings if the number of horses required has dropped below the threshold, 
  • edited February 2017
    I would be astounded if any bookie paid out on third place in a three or four horse race whatever time you struck the bet and I would have loved to have been a customer at the shopes that did.
  • edited February 2017
    Posted by StayOrGo
    whoever u spoke 2 is wrong, the place terms when the bet is struck, is what u will get, regardless of how many runners are declared on the day of the race!
  • edited February 2017
    Hmm, there's me expecting a simple answer to a simple question and opinion appears polarised.

Well the answers are simple to be fair, but conflicting.

Rather than me keep going back to customer services with the same question, could someone from Sky please clarify on this thread.

Many thanks,

Graham
  • edited February 2017
    After looking at Skybet rules, i believe it would pay a fifth 123 regardless of the amount of runners.Ante-post is a bet before the overnight declaration stage, or before 10am on the day of the race.Imagine walking into a bookies a week before a race with that old fashioned piece of paper, namely a betting slip. The odds and place terms would be written on there by the bookie.If your selection got injured, or did not get declared for the race, you would do your dough.You want a money back if a non runner bet if you can get it.PM mr NChanning.
  • edited February 2017
    Hmm, there's me expecting a simple answer to a simple question and opinion appears polarised. Well the answers are simple to be fair, but conflicting. Rather than me keep going back to customer services with the same question, could someone from Sky please clarify on this thread. Many thanks, Graham
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Certainly not a simple question after all mate. As someone who hates ante post unless I have the backstop of no runner no bet I am certainly not an expert and after looking at Tattersalls betting rules and Ladbrokes it appears the people who have an opposite view  to Wynne and myself might be right. In brief it appears that no terms to an ante post bet on making it can be changed ie price, percentage of place return or final runners. So if only 3 ran in 2017 champion hurdle and you where on a runner and your horse finished last  you would get paid.

However I still cant believe this would happen so it would be nice if a real expert could sort this.
  • edited February 2017

Been having more thought on this although I don't know why as I reckon at the end of the day it is purely hypothetical.

Thinking about it, If bookies take all the money for the non runners then they should pay out on all the runners even if they finish last in a three horse race and that horse has been staked ew  at 1/4 the odds 1, 2, 3 ante post . But somehow I don't see it ever happening, probably why no definitive answer, and  so probably not worth worrying about anymore.