You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

One aspect of your overall poker game you would like to improve?

edited February 2017 in Poker Chat
Could be anything... Taking breaks, bankroll management, game selection, learning the maths behind the game, playing at better times of the day, eating habits etc etc. 

If you cannot see any faults in your overall game then it will obviously be pretty hard to improve, I mean what are you going to 'fix' if you can't see anything wrong?

A recurring theme for me that I would like to improve upon is patience, however, the one thing I would choose at the moment to work on is adjusting to the new ranges when I get moved tables.

I find I can be playing a few tables and, for example, on 1 of them I have a tight table so am active and stealing etc then I get moved and carry on as before only to find this new table is playing 'No Fold Em' and half my stack is gone.

Be interesting to hear from anyone willing to share. Maybe just considering the aspects of our games we could improve will help highlight leaks in our own minds.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    when im in the small blind and some  utg limps in and get couple of people call then im thinking not much extra to call from the sb even tho i have junk  need to cut out that in my game 

also mid to late stages im in the bb with a junk hand but calling min raises    

the mental side of the game for me has improved big time i never tilt now if i lose a hand i just shrug my shoulders and move on play the next mtt  bad beats happen ive had my fair share of luck dishing bad beats out on people so works both ways 

all i know is if u play poker the correct way know the fundamentals of the game the and play abc poker longterm u will win hardest thing of poker is the mental game 
  • edited February 2017
    It would need to be focus and aggression I find I play better early in the day but have difficulty in dealing with aggressive players and make the wrong moves at the wrong times I focus better playing on my tablet and one game at a time then in the evening put the laptop on tvs on puppy running about mental and wife wants occasional conversation focus gone followed by exits from mtts lol
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: One aspect of your overall poker game you would like to improve?:
    when im in the small blind and some  utg limps in and get couple of people call then im thinking not much extra to call from the sb even tho i have junk  need to cut out that in my game  also mid to late stages im in the bb with a junk hand but calling min raises     the mental side of the game for me has improved big time i never tilt now if i lose a hand i just shrug my shoulders and move on play the next mtt  bad beats happen ive had my fair share of luck dishing bad beats out on people so works both ways  all i know is if u play poker the correct way know the fundamentals of the game the and play abc poker longterm u will win hardest thing of poker is the mental game 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I have found myself doing the same as your first point when the pot odds are high ie another 10 into a pot that's giving you min of 8 or 9 to 1 tbh I did not think this was that bad but will need to try and stop it 
  • edited February 2017
    Take bottom of buy in range more seriously.I auto pilot in these too much
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: One aspect of your overall poker game you would like to improve?:
    when im in the small blind and some  utg limps in and get couple of people call then im thinking not much extra to call from the sb even tho i have junk  need to cut out that in my game  
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Why?

This sounds like the correct thing to do with almost every hand! 
  • edited February 2017
    some good points for all already to take note off.
    Beware when you have been moved to another table, even if you have notes on people they will change their play based on the opponents they are up against, relative chip stacks, stage of the tournament etc. You need to get a feel for the table dynamics again, so be careful.

Calling with the small blind because its cheap is a common leak, all of many things can go wrong. The big blind may raise now you have to fold. You end up playing out of position which is never good, and you are playing with a hand you would normally not be holding so are unsure how to play it, you could easily hit a good second best hand as now you could easily be dominated. Save your 1/2 BB and the dangers you are walking into.

Aggressive players do not consider them awkward a nuisance etc. but just another style to be exploited in some way.

My one thing I must stop doing is truly awful, I mentally state their hand and call and lose and I am correct they had what I thought. This is called a curiosity call and is a leak of mine.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: One aspect of your overall poker game you would like to improve? : Why? This sounds like the correct thing to do with almost every hand! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    What would be the min odds you would make up the blinds with rags ?
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: One aspect of your overall poker game you would like to improve? : Why? This sounds like the correct thing to do with almost every hand! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I still fold garbage from SB with limpers- basically anything non connecting
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: One aspect of your overall poker game you would like to improve? : What would be the min odds you would make up the blinds with rags ?
    Posted by weecheez1
    idcu referred to an utg limper "and a couple more callers"

Even without any antes on sky, if we are in the small blind we are getting 4.5/1 on our money, so I'm going to be completing almost anything, certainly anything suited or remotely connected.

Yea it's tough playing not so good hands out of position but our goal is to make decisions that win us the most chips, not to make our lives as easy as we can for ourselves by avoiding tricky spots. 

If we've got 3 limpers on a 6 max table it doesn't sound the most challenging line up to play against post flop either. 
  • edited February 2017
    I've got loads of patience can teach anyone that. just need to know and understand position. Am getting there with the 3 betting and have to keep reminding myself to continuation bet and be aggressive. 
  • edited February 2017
    I'm with JJ, if there's 3 limpers then I'm calling pretty much ATC in the SB.

For me it's my entire mental game. I could write a book on how awful my mental game is. It's not just about tilt, I rarely proper tilt in game and spew off etc but it affects so many areas, like my general mood off the table, mt motivation to play, motivation to re-reg mid session etc.

Well those were the things I felt when grinding proper anyway, I don't feel it now obv cos I don't play so much but I'm sure it'll all come flooding back if I did.
  • edited February 2017
    Need a change of luck.
    As most people do.
  • edited February 2017
    dohhhhhh i think its a leak as oop  especially if the blinds are like 300/600 and u have like 8k stack calling with junk is bad but i do it to much need to cut it out 
  • edited February 2017
    im not talking early stages mid to late stages when u have like 15 bb etc 
  • edited February 2017
    Take bottom of buy in range more seriously.I auto pilot in these too much
    Posted by Arrogant
    this is a good one
  • edited February 2017
    Not shoving river on bricked runouts when villain most likely has some sort of middle pair or show down value that beats me if we check - check. Even though their hand probably isn't strong enough to call say 2x pot, my line makes absolutely no sense - good players understand capped ranges and less good players are calling 'just coz' anyway. Never works.