You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Do you agree with Daniel?

edited March 2017 in Poker Chat

Little Danny Negreanu posted this on Twitter.

"I enjoy losing streaks because it lights a fire under my backside* and makes me better and stronger as a player. I actually crave it. Bizarre? Ya."

How about you?

* Had to edit that to get it past the censor.

Comments

• edited March 2017
    I ALWAYS agree with Daniel, love the guy.

Have you seen the documentary/film of his life on Netflix? It's worth a watch.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Do you agree with Daniel?:
    I ALWAYS agree with Daniel, love the guy. Have you seen the documentary/film of his life on Netflix? It's worth a watch.
    Posted by waller02
    Me too, think he is a great Pro & love him to bits.

Netflix? Err, never heard of that. What Channel is that on?

• edited March 2017
    I think he's talking absolute waffle
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Do you agree with Daniel?:
    Little Danny Negreanu posted this on Twitter. "I enjoy losing streaks because it lights a fire under my backside* and makes me better and stronger as a player. I actually crave it. Bizarre? Ya." How about you? * Had to edit that to get it past the censor.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I do not mind losing.it makes me more determined.
    The down side it messes with my play,as I think there is something wrong,and then try to alter my game to see if anything changes,
    Does not work,or if it does it is pure coincidence.
    Have had a rough week.
    Three tournaments played where I had AA twice in ten minutes and was out of the MTT with the second lot ofAA in all three.
    I will get over it.
    Back to square 1.
    Any comments to help with my mindset will be much appreciated.
  • edited March 2017
    Every player on earth has losing streaks.( Timmyrara not from this planet  )
    I myself play in hotpants, " cant touch this  ".
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Do you agree with Daniel? : Me too, think he is a great Pro & love him to bits. Netflix? Err, never heard of that. What Channel is that on?  
    Posted by Tikay10
    When 865 finished I stumbled across it because I had to find something else to watch on the telly box.
  • edited March 2017
    Doubt he would say such a thing if he didnt have his sponserships.For any normal pro that has to win to survive losing streaks tend to kill motivation when you keep losing and start to doubt that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• edited March 2017
    I see what he's saying. However, it's not like a losing session means you did anything wrong, and on the same note a winning session doesn't mean you're a good poker player. It's about being critical regardless of any result, not just a losing result which is what Daniel is suggesting here. 

I also like Daniel as a poker ambassador but don't post that on 2p2
  • edited March 2017
    I like Daniel a lot, but I do have to say that yes losing streaks are a great way to learn and improve if used properly BUT it is far, far easier to 'enjoy' your losing streaks if your already well off! I'm sure it would be much tougher to 'enjoy' these swings if your livelihood depended on it.
  • edited March 2017
    Yeah he's been good for the game and still does a lot of good but he seems to just talk utter nonsense. 
  • edited March 2017
    Not everything you hear is the truth.
  • edited March 2017
    I like Daniel a lot, but I do have to say that yes losing streaks are a great way to learn and improve if used properly BUT it is far, far easier to 'enjoy' your losing streaks if your already well off! I'm sure it would be much tougher to 'enjoy' these swings if your livelihood depended on it.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Perhaps true, but it is the responsibility of the poker pro to be rolled enough to be able to cope with downswings because they will inevitably come.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Do you agree with Daniel? : I do not mind losing.it makes me more determined. The down side it messes with my play,as I think there is something wrong,and then try to alter my game to see if anything changes, Does not work,or if it does it is pure coincidence. Have had a rough week. Three tournaments played where I had AA twice in ten minutes and was out of the MTT with the second lot ofAA in all three. I will get over it. Back to square 1. Any comments to help with my mindset will be much appreciated.
    Posted by wynne1938
    Hey Wynne - The only thing I can suggest is just to remember the hand rankings, it is only a single pair. Still does your head in though!
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Do you agree with Daniel? : I do not mind losing.it makes me more determined. The down side it messes with my play,as I think there is something wrong,and then try to alter my game to see if anything changes, Does not work,or if it does it is pure coincidence. Have had a rough week. Three tournaments played where I had AA twice in ten minutes and was out of the MTT with the second lot ofAA in all three. I will get over it. Back to square 1. Any comments to help with my mindset will be much appreciated.
    Posted by wynne1938

Think herein lies your mindset problem.
  • edited March 2017
    Do I enjoy losing streaks?

NO

Do I think you can learn from them and that they can be useful?

ABSOLUTELY :=)

GL learning from losing!

I would suggest that one reflects upon one's losing streaks away from the table.

Ideally at a time when you are calm. Reflect as dispassionately and neutrally as possible.

Reflect upon your state of mind at the time and not just the hands played.

Were you at all tilted or distracted? 

See if both mental strength and strategy can be improved.

That's my two pence worth.

G

P.S. For me, one of the worst causes of bad play/losing streaks, is being distracted. whether it's Skype, Facebook, domestic duties, or continual checking of how my golf bets are doing. What's happening in the run up to Cheltenham, and even forum stuff. I recognise these are bad distractions, but it's a work in progress trying to surpress the urge to monitor them.

I can be playing fine, then my golfer misses a two footer for par and suddenly my composure's gone and I decide, oh well, I might be in a race with my pocket deuces :=)

Practicing mindfulness is not a bad idea imo. :=)

The irony is, that I am distracting myself posting this. Well, I did say it was a work in progress to tame the mind's desire to "wander" and "play"
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Do you agree with Daniel? : Hey Wynne - The only thing I can suggest is just to remember the hand rankings, it is only a single pair. Still does your head in though!
    Posted by GREGSTER
    Thanks for your comments,
    I have folded AA before now.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Do you agree with Daniel? : Think herein lies your mindset problem.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thanks for your comments Harry.
  • edited March 2017
    There has been a lot of debate over whether gamblers subconsciously want to lose.

I for one have never felt this way but poker is my only form of "gambling".

Adam Schwartz of the 2+2 pokercast has admitted to feeling this way in the past on the podcast.

• edited March 2017
    I really like Daniel and I think it's a load of b*llocks :D

It's like saying 'I like being kicked in the balls cos then I can appreciate more what it feels like not to be in agony'.

I'm all for taking the positives out of a bad run (although it's easier said than done) but to say you enjoy downswings or crave downswings is just total nonsense.
  • edited March 2017
    i dont like losing, but i think you can learn from it. You wouldn't examine your game if you always won.

I have played before hoping to lose, which is pretty messed up.  During a sick run of bad beats I have wanted the other player to hit their 2 outer on the river;- kind of a justification that no matter how well I play and how good I get my money in I can't win.

I have had numerous runs of beats on here, so sick that people wouldn't believe them.  I'm sure we all have.  When you are in the middle of one of those sick runs I bet that you too, in a sick twisted kind of way want to lose the hand when your mate is railling you just so you can say LOOK!

We are a funny bread gamblers