You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

YESSSSSSSSSSS

edited March 2017 in Poker Chat

In Live Poker, we see a lot of bad grace when the underdog gets there in a crucial hand, & we are then subjected to a screamed YESSSSSSSSSSSS or a bout of table thumping, rather in the style of an adolescent baboon.

Online, it's slightly different, & in the same situation, we see these sort of things in the chat box;

haha

Bye bye

GET IN

If you are on the wrong end of this, does it bother you?

Is it a good or bad thing to be able to win (or lose) with a bit of dignity & grace?

Comments

• edited March 2017
    I think it's important 
    When playing live I never react either way win or lose.
    Online when things are going badly I've been known to chunter a little bit. Never really at someone. Just more general whining about running bad. Didn't always do this. Bad leak that's developed.

There's one that you've missed off.
    The players who win a big pot and then aren't content with that. They want to tell their opponent how bad they are. Classy.
  • edited March 2017
    Don't know what's worse bad losing or bad winning the snide ones are the ones that think they can play and poker owes them I think a few use it as an axtra tool to tilt people into making bad plays personally I just ignore it the minute you bite you have lost 
  • edited March 2017
    Generally the players who do this are losing players. Does this make it more ok?
    There's another player with a girls name who likes to tell the table at the start of a dym if you've lost the last few. Gloats whenever they win a pot. Is a fair bit down overall.

There's also a new player at dyms who does an
    Oioi
    If he gets there
  • edited March 2017
    In Live Major Tournaments, the railers are becoming slightly annoying to watch imo. I don't mind them showing a bit of support but pleeeeease do it with a bit of grace.

As for online well - If I give someone a bad beat & they want to vent their anger by shouting a few profanities in the chat box then i'll let them have their moment, each to their own I suppose. Everyone deals with frustration in a different way & if that's what floats their boat, then good luck to them, but I never give them the satisfaction of a reply :)

Some time ago after inflicting a bad beat on the river to my oppo, I was then asked (Not in a polite way) to apologise for doing so. He started yelling all sorts in the chat box. My standard reply in this situation is UL "Unlucky" but this fell on deaf ears.

Sometimes we can suffer loads & loads of bad beats in a tournament before seeing one go in our favour, so I'm certainly not apologising for it. Blame the dealer for pitty sake :)

We should be able to Win & Lose with Grace IMO

Sent u an email btw Tikay
  • edited March 2017
    What are people's views if someone puts a bad beat on you and apologies in chat? Do people think you should apologise in chat if you get lucky?

Good spirited or shouldn't be done as we want to win the pot and it is irrelevant who is winning until the river?
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: YESSSSSSSSSSS:
    Sent u an email btw Tikay
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Already replied, Trev.
  • edited March 2017
    Generally the players who do this are losing players. Does this make it more ok? There's another player with a girls name who likes to tell the table at the start of a dym if you've lost the last few. Gloats whenever they win a pot. Is a fair bit down overall. There's also a new player at dyms who does an Oioi If he gets there
    Posted by Jac35
    Magic.
  • edited March 2017
    I haven't noticed too much unpleasantness in the checkbox recently. It used to be worse when I played HU games, I guess some see it as tactical to get the opponent to tilt when they are 1 on 1.

I do type UL when I hit on the river as I know how painful such bad beats are. I actually don't enjoy winning if I am well behind when I commit to a pot even though it's all part of poker.
  • edited March 2017
    What are people's views if someone puts a bad beat on you and apologies in chat? Do people think you should apologise in chat if you get lucky? Good spirited or shouldn't be done as we want to win the pot and it is irrelevant who is winning until the river?
    Posted by MattBates
    Any decent player knows that we aren't always going to hold even if we are a massive favourite. The sooner we accept that it is just part of the game the better our mind set will be.

So, NO I don't think we should apologise and anyone who thinks we should, doesn't have a great understanding of the game imo.

Poker can be a brutal game, Take the Punches.
  • edited March 2017
    The only one that annoys me is when villan says TY TY after getting there with an airball, villan doesn't even have to of got there v me , I don't know why but it just annoys me 

Yfired
  • edited March 2017
    What are people's views if someone puts a bad beat on you and apologies in chat? Do people think you should apologise in chat if you get lucky? Good spirited or shouldn't be done as we want to win the pot and it is irrelevant who is winning until the river?
    Posted by MattBates

It depends. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't and I am probably not consistent in when I do it. 

Generally I try and reserve an ul for times when I have been outplayed and got my chips in bad then been saved by the river or runner runner beats. 

I probably wouldnt say ul if I get it in bad but it was a standard play on both our parts, unless it was a "friend" and I should have been coolered.

I certainly don't think you should be expected to apologise though.  

The ones that irritate me most are those who scream for an apology when they got it in bad, went ahead then lose. Why should anyone have to apologise for winning a hand they were ahead with when the chips went in?
  • edited March 2017
    Never apologise
    You don't mean it

Ul is ok
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to YESSSSSSSSSSS:
    In Live Poker, we see a lot of bad grace when the underdog gets there in a crucial hand, & we are then subjected to a screamed YESSSSSSSSSSSS or a bout of table thumping, rather in the style of an adolescent baboon. Online, it's slightly different, & in the same situation, we see these sort of things in the chat box; haha Bye bye GET IN If you are on the wrong end of this, does it bother you? Is it a good or bad thing to be able to win (or lose) with a bit of dignity & grace?  
    Posted by Tikay10
    haha...     No.
    Bye bye... No.
    Although I would excuse it, if the above two are aimed at someone who has been abusive previously.
    GET IN...   Don't mind it.

They don't bother me, except my initial reaction to it.

Definitely good to be able to win or lose with grace, for you, and your game.

Ed.

• edited March 2017
    Win or lose whatever stakes it is I react the same way I respect the game and move straight on to the next hand.

New players who react badly to bad beats etc i get that as there new to the game but for players who've been playing the game for years and still cry and moan make me laugh.
  • edited March 2017
    The only one that annoys me is when villan says TY TY after getting there with an airball, villan doesn't even have to of got there v me , I don't know why but it just annoys me  Yfired
    Posted by yourfired
    TY, directly after winning a pot. Classless.

Don't know why, but this one over anything else.

Ed.
  • edited March 2017
    Win or lose whatever stakes it is I react the same way I respect the game and move straight on to the next hand. New players who react badly to bad beats etc i get that as there new to the game but for players who've been playing the game for years and still cry and moan make me laugh.
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    oioi
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: YESSSSSSSSSSS : oioi
    Posted by Tikay10
    No one likes to lose and were all competitive but come on show some respect at the tables!
  • edited March 2017
    Win or lose whatever stakes it is I react the same way I respect the game and move straight on to the next hand. New players who react badly to bad beats etc i get that as there new to the game but for players who've been playing the game for years and still cry and moan make me laugh.
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    LOL
  • edited March 2017
    I tend to ignore most moans , but harder when at a live game. 
     During live games i hate when someone is rude / loud/ abusive , or a glotter when hitting from behind.
      I was once at a table with Joe Bevers when a guy went well over the top after hitting the river to crush a big hand ,
     I said at least wait until the lad has left the table before gloating , and have a bit of dignity .
     He then wants to start on me , so well pleased when Joe agreed that he should " shut up " and 
       be more respectful to others .    Jeo then busts him without a peep .
  • edited March 2017
    Posted by MattBates

If ever I apologise, someone not even invlolved in the hand tends to pipe up with
    'YOU'RE NOT SORRY'
    Always in capitals. Fair point I suppose, I'd rather have the chips than not, given the choice.

• edited March 2017
    Any chatbox chuntering needs a 'dot com' on the end otherwise it just looks silly.

''Typical Sky river dot com''
    ''Sky break hand dot com''
    ''Chip leader hits on river dot com''

And so on and so forth.....

.....dot com.
  • edited March 2017
    If I inflict a  bad beat on some one and it is just one of those things then, if time, I just type UL.  More often than not it is accepted. If I get one I tend to type lol.
    If I get one and it isn't a standard one then if frustrated there are the letter sff rearranged but it isn't directed at anyone.
    I don't see the point.
    If it is one where I was far I front but lost, I make a note, and move on (maybe with the sff comment!!).
    I may also have a few choice words verbally, NEVER typed.

I have more important things to worry about than a lost hand at poker. But I do play at the smallest levels, but even here I see gloating, swearing, etc.. I've even had one or 2 trying to teach me what to do each hand!! It is sometimes hard to "do the right play" every time if I'm doing more than one table and with my dodgy internet  :))

Anyway I go on. I just don't get the need to do it.
    GL all
  • edited March 2017
    I'm unsure how I'll react when I eventually put a bad beat on someone, hopefully my celebrations will be muted enough so not to cause offence but I can't promise. 
  • edited March 2017
    I'm unsure how I'll react when I eventually put a bad beat on someone, hopefully my celebrations will be muted enough so not to cause offence but I can't promise. 
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    :-)