You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Increasing Poker Productivity When Dealing With Wrist Strain/RSI

edited March 2017 in Poker Chat
So, yeah, I've had problems with my wrists for a little while. Started back way before playing Poker. Used to overdo the computer a lot but got that under control. So, I'm not interested in people going "oh you should quit and all that rubbish" - not going to happen. Got that situation under control but what I want to do is to increase my poker productivity whilst managing my condition.

So I was wondering if any of you had any ideas like what sort of Poker-playing-study setup might be able to maximise my poker input and results whilst still being sensible enough to not mess things up with my wrists completely.

At the moment I tend to do a couple of sessions for about 2 hours each in the afternoon on DoNs and then do the free-rolls and whatever else in the evening. The morning I use for other stuff but am studying Poker then also.

So have any of you found a really effective system that includes playing time, breaks, study, forum input, research etc into opportunities like new sites/offers that you think will rock my world?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated because I'm still a complete noob and really need some ideas.

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Have you tried using a Trackball instead of a mouse. These can be good for RSI. They are a little funky at first but great when you get used to them.

Also Yoga and stretching when you get the time. Often these hand problems start further up the chain believe it or not and poor posture can lead to tight nerves running down the arm and stuff.

Other than that, just take hourly breaks for ten minutes or so. Have a little walk round and do some stretching!

Good for the body and also the mind to keep your Poker brain sharp!
  • edited March 2017
    paracetamol and deep heat
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Increasing Poker Productivity When Dealing With Wrist Strain/RSI:
    Have you tried using a Trackball instead of a mouse. These can be good for RSI. They are a little funky at first but great when you get used to them. Also Yoga and stretching when you get the time. Often these hand problems start further up the chain believe it or not and poor posture can lead to tight nerves running down the arm and stuff. Other than that, just take hourly breaks for ten minutes or so. Have a little walk round and do some stretching! Good for the body and also the mind to keep your Poker brain sharp!
    Posted by Liftman
    No I haven't tried using a trackball. I do use a small HP mouse as I find that the smaller size is of benefit. I'll have to have a look at the trackballs. Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah I have heard that stretching can be good for this sort of condition. I guess I've been a bit wary about doing anything like that in case somehow I made the situation worse. Definitely worth a look into though.

Very true that, very true! :-)
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Increasing Poker Productivity When Dealing With Wrist Strain/RSI:
    paracetamol and deep heat
    Posted by stokefc
    Keeping symptoms at bay is always useful.
  • edited March 2017
    Try using your mouse in the other hand.

I have had shoulder surgery a couple of times so started using the mouse with my left hand for work/poker etc and actually find it really easy, also has the benefit that I can write with my right hand whilst using the mouse with my left. Apparantly it's called multi tasking and is generally thought to be impossible for men, much like parking is impossible for women.
  • edited March 2017
    Try using your mouse in the other hand. I have had shoulder surgery a couple of times so started using the mouse with my left hand for work/poker etc and actually find it really easy, also has the benefit that I can write with my right hand whilst using the mouse with my left. Apparantly it's called multi tasking and is generally thought to be impossible for men, much like parking is impossible for women.
    Posted by Enut
    Yeah, that is a great way of enabling myself to carry on for longer. Something that I already do and learning to use the other hand and a smaller mouse has assisted me a great deal.

Any ideas you guys for a smarter Poker day in terms of organisationally speaking?