You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Favourite Cheltenham Performance?

edited March 2017 in Betting Chat
I wasn't as excited about this years festival as I had been in previous years. The number of big name absentees put a bit of a downer on it for me, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. There were some cracking races and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Betting wise I had a bit of a mare. By the end of day 3 I had only backed one winner and was around 200 down. Day 4 saved me when Defi Du Seuil romped home to complete the last leg of a treble with Yorkhill and Un De Sceaux which returned 265 from a tenner. 

For me the Un De Sceaux performance was the highlight of the festival. I thought he had blown it and was going to run out of gas but he kept on jumping supremely and had plenty left going up the hill. Defi's performance was a close second for me, he was head and shoulders above the rest of the field in the race.

Would like to hear anybody else's favourite moments? Best horse? Biggest dissapointments?

Overall was a great festival and look forward to next year. Hoping Douvan will be as good as he was when he returns from his injury because the likely clash with Altior and perhaps Yorkhill will be so so good.

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Hi mate,

Biggest disappointment - Irelands dominance , can never quite come to grips with Irish form which means I had a poor Cheltenham. Two many so nearly moments , got the brit form right a few times only for my horse to get beaten by at least one Irish horse.

Best moment Beuveir D'air winning the Champion, he could be a star for a few years more. Trouble was like me, Nicky Henderson had so much seconditis.

Biggest disappointment Cue Card, not Brennans fault this year but just goes to show how bad his ride last year which cost Cue Card the greatness he deserved. Also Pereguine Run, form was franked by other horses but he ran a stinker.

Biggest turnaround Willie Mullins, shouldn't have doubted him.
  • edited March 2017
    I am new to horse racing and this is the first Cheltenham festival I have taken any real interest in. Shocking I know and probably the wrong audience to admit this to.

I totally am hooked now though.

Before this year I had only bet a few times on the Grand National, joined in the odd office sweepstake and been to the races but don't remember too much about 2 of those (a stag do and a boozy trip to Aintree for Grand National Day).

To show how little I knew about horse racing, I once went to a customer site in Cheltenham and asked the receptionist if she could please book me into my usual hotel. 

R "You mean you have't prebooked? It is Festival week"
    I had vaguely heard of the Cheltenham Festival but didnt know it was on that week or realise how big a deal it was.
    Me "Oh there is racing on, well I don't mind staying a few miles outside of Cheltenham"
    R. (once she stopped laughing) "You will be lucky to get anywhere this side of Birmingham"

Roll on a few years and this year I started looking into betting on the horses when Brrrrr was promoting the NAPs table. I got off to a good start on that (pinsticker beginners luck) and started to look for a way to get involved a bit more. I liked the look of the extra place race offers on Sky Bet and started to dabble with those and I am doing ok.

I am still only learning the basics, didnt know what conditions races were, didnt understand the class system or handicap ratings etc only a few weeks ago.

For the NAPS table with 4 days to pick and fantasy Cheltenham league I thought I had better gen up a bit more and take this seriously. 

I only got to watch the races live on Tuesday and Today but found the experience incredible. Such impressive athletic animals, extremely competitive races, the passion and pride from the owners, trainers and jockeys and atmosphere from the stands. I probably should have lost my shirt but struck lucky again. I had one winner each day on Tue, Wed, Thu with a few places meaning I was slightly up with Tue/Thu slight winning days and Wed a slight loser.

Today though was immense. I had the winners in the first 4 races and decent price places in the last 2.

With the help of some free bets from the sky bet 1st race offer and a sign up offer on another site it made it a very profitable week.

My first winner of the week was Buveur D'Air which was a double joy as it was a NAP table pick.

Special Tiara was a nice bonus as I was really only going for the place.

Let's Dance kept the winner a day going then came today.

It really helped me watching the racing fully live and without distractions today, as 3 of my winners came from watching the build up and adding to my morning selections.

Defi de Soleil was a morning pick and for once I didn't earn a free bet.

Artic Fire I had ruled out with top weight and lack of racing, but the commentators talking about its class and the Mullins yard return to form on Thursday convinced me it was a worthy of an e/w punt.

I added Penhill again hearing the commentary team and a pick as an e/w price plus the penny dropped that the owner was Tony Bloom so went with the poker connection.

Sizing John was added when listening to the trainer Jessica Harrington talk about their chances and realising the story behin
    her first every entry potential completing a very impressive Cheltenham CV. Maybe subliminally the Harrington name and poker connection resonated too.

Verni and Theinval completed the day with some nice valued places with 2xfree £10 bets.

My favourite has to be Sizing John as it was the big one, but had a big thrill with Buveur D'Air as it was my first Cheltenham winner and I had it as a NAP pick too.

Didn't really have a disappointment, sure I backed plenty of losers too but I went in with low expectations of profits and was just enjoying the experience.

I honestly enjoyed days 1-3 but today was just unreal. Hooked forever, just need to keep my sensible head on now and not go on "entitlement tilt". I am sticking to small e/w bets in extra place races, until Aintree anyway.

• edited March 2017
    Without doubt Un De Sceaux for me too.... particularly as I had backed him ante-post at 7/2, though the way he was tanking thru the first half mile of the race I was a bit worried, even though I knew he stayed the trip well from when he won in France last year, and John Francome has said Un De Sceaux was his banker of the Festival on good ground. Just the exuberence of his jumping and the will to want to beat everything is endearing in my eyes. 

One of the best things I've ever seen was when Un De Sceaux fell first time out at Leopardstown at the 2nd last, the year after his novice season........ got himself up 20 lengths or so behind the field, and sprinted past everything, jumped the last and won going away, sadly without Ruby, but amazing to see the will to win. Worth a watch for sure.

I was having a great Festival right from Un Temps Pour Tout winning and even though I was very unlucky on Wednesday, I made a nice profit every day, and thought it was going to carry on today after Defi Du Seuil won the Triumph, but it all went downhill from there, though Wonderful Charm winning would have meant equalling last year, which was my best Festival ever. Sadly Katie Walsh was a bit too busy watching On The Fringe, and left Wonderful Charm with a neck too much to do.

Gutted I deserted Sizing John too, having backed him in the Irish Gold Cup last time, I deserted him for Djakadam and Ruby........ Oh well always next year !! ......and at least I made a small profit this year, and we all have some more pointers for the future. Fr V. well worth getting Atthe Races if you have SKY, coz you get to see ALL the Irish racing, and that is definitely where all the power is nowadays with Gordon Elliot and Willie Mullins, and there Super-rich owners. 

I don't think we will see Altior take on Douvan, I think Douvan needs further than 2 miles now (similar to Vautour in my eyes). Put it this way, I would back Altior every time over 2 miles, and I love Douvan to bits. That's the joy of Horse Racing..... we all have our own opinion.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Favourite Cheltenham Performance?:
    Hi mate, Biggest disappointment - Irelands dominance , can never quite come to grips with Irish form which means I had a poor Cheltenham. Two many so nearly moments , got the brit form right a few times only for my horse to get beaten by at least one Irish horse. Best moment Beuveir D'air winning the Champion, he could be a star for a few years more. Trouble was like me, Nicky Henderson had so much seconditis. Biggest disappointment Cue Card, not Brennans fault this year but just goes to show how bad his ride last year which cost Cue Card the greatness he deserved. Also Pereguine Run, form was franked by other horses but he ran a stinker. Biggest turnaround Willie Mullins, shouldn't have doubted him.
    Posted by vaigret
    I'm not sure which bookie it was that paid out early on Gordon Elliott being top trainer, but I bet they breathed a huge sigh of relief!
  • edited March 2017
    I am new to horse racing and this is the first Cheltenham festival I have taken any real interest in. Shocking I know and probably the wrong audience to admit this to. I totally am hooked now though. Before this year I had only bet a few times on the Grand National, joined in the odd office sweepstake and been to the races but don't remember too much about 2 of those (a stag do and a boozy trip to Aintree for Grand National Day). To show how little I knew about horse racing, I once went to a customer site in Cheltenham and asked the receptionist if she could please book me into my usual hotel.  R "You mean you have't prebooked? It is Festival week" I had vaguely heard of the Cheltenham Festival but didnt know it was on that week or realise how big a deal it was. Me "Oh there is racing on, well I don't mind staying a few miles outside of Cheltenham" R. (once she stopped laughing) "You will be lucky to get anywhere this side of Birmingham" Roll on a few years and this year I started looking into betting on the horses when Brrrrr was promoting the NAPs table. I got off to a good start on that (pinsticker beginners luck) and started to look for a way to get involved a bit more. I liked the look of the extra place race offers on Sky Bet and started to dabble with those and I am doing ok. I am still only learning the basics, didnt know what conditions races were, didnt understand the class system or handicap ratings etc only a few weeks ago. For the NAPS table with 4 days to pick and fantasy Cheltenham league I thought I had better gen up a bit more and take this seriously.  I only got to watch the races live on Tuesday and Today but found the experience incredible. Such impressive athletic animals, extremely competitive races, the passion and pride from the owners, trainers and jockeys and atmosphere from the stands. I probably should have lost my shirt but struck lucky again. I had one winner each day on Tue, Wed, Thu with a few places meaning I was slightly up with Tue/Thu slight winning days and Wed a slight loser. Today though was immense. I had the winners in the first 4 races and decent price places in the last 2. With the help of some free bets from the sky bet 1st race offer and a sign up offer on another site it made it a very profitable week. My first winner of the week was Buveur D'Air which was a double joy as it was a NAP table pick. Special Tiara was a nice bonus as I was really only going for the place. Let's Dance kept the winner a day going then came today. It really helped me watching the racing fully live and without distractions today, as 3 of my winners came from watching the build up and adding to my morning selections. Defi de Soleil was a morning pick and for once I didn't earn a free bet. Artic Fire I had ruled out with top weight and lack of racing, but the commentators talking about its class and the Mullins yard return to form on Thursday convinced me it was a worthy of an e/w punt. I added Penhill again hearing the commentary team and a pick as an e/w price plus the penny dropped that the owner was Tony Bloom so went with the poker connection. Sizing John was added when listening to the trainer Jessica Harrington talk about their chances and realising the story behin her first every entry potential completing a very impressive Cheltenham CV. Maybe subliminally the Harrington name and poker connection resonated too. Verni and Theinval completed the day with some nice valued places with 2xfree £10 bets. My favourite has to be Sizing John as it was the big one, but had a big thrill with Buveur D'Air as it was my first Cheltenham winner and I had it as a NAP pick too. Didn't really have a disappointment, sure I backed plenty of losers too but I went in with low expectations of profits and was just enjoying the experience. I honestly enjoyed days 1-3 but today was just unreal. Hooked forever, just need to keep my sensible head on now and not go on "entitlement tilt". I am sticking to small e/w bets in extra place races, until Aintree anyway.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Great post.

I only became seriously interested in racing 3 or 4 yrs ago myself and can relate to everything you have written. It's not even about the bets for me. Of course I want to win, who doesn't, but if my bet loses to the better horse in a great race then I'm never too dissapointed.

The best example I can give is the King George a couple of yrs ago. I was on Vautour, last leg of a treble and looking at over 300 if it wins. It jumped the last fence well clear and looked for all the world that it was home and hosed. But the way that Cue Card dug in and pinched it on the line was spine tingling. I literally had goose bumps, what a race. My bet lost but the disappointment was eased by the race that I had just witnessed. If you haven't seen it then google it (King George VI 2015...RIP Vautour).

I think it was then when I became hooked. Amazing animals.
  • edited March 2017

JESSE HARRINGTON TAKES OVER SIZING JOHN FROM H DE BROMHEAD AFTER BANGING HEAD AGAINST DOUVAN YET

AGAIN GOES IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION THREE RUNS LATER GOLD CUP WINNER
  • edited March 2017
    I am new to horse racing and this is the first Cheltenham festival I have taken any real interest in. Shocking I know and probably the wrong audience to admit this to. I totally am hooked now though. Before this year I had only bet a few times on the Grand National, joined in the odd office sweepstake and been to the races but don't remember too much about 2 of those (a stag do and a boozy trip to Aintree for Grand National Day). To show how little I knew about horse racing, I once went to a customer site in Cheltenham and asked the receptionist if she could please book me into my usual hotel.  R "You mean you have't prebooked? It is Festival week" I had vaguely heard of the Cheltenham Festival but didnt know it was on that week or realise how big a deal it was. Me "Oh there is racing on, well I don't mind staying a few miles outside of Cheltenham" R. (once she stopped laughing) "You will be lucky to get anywhere this side of Birmingham" Roll on a few years and this year I started looking into betting on the horses when Brrrrr was promoting the NAPs table. I got off to a good start on that (pinsticker beginners luck) and started to look for a way to get involved a bit more. I liked the look of the extra place race offers on Sky Bet and started to dabble with those and I am doing ok. I am still only learning the basics, didnt know what conditions races were, didnt understand the class system or handicap ratings etc only a few weeks ago. For the NAPS table with 4 days to pick and fantasy Cheltenham league I thought I had better gen up a bit more and take this seriously.  I only got to watch the races live on Tuesday and Today but found the experience incredible. Such impressive athletic animals, extremely competitive races, the passion and pride from the owners, trainers and jockeys and atmosphere from the stands. I probably should have lost my shirt but struck lucky again. I had one winner each day on Tue, Wed, Thu with a few places meaning I was slightly up with Tue/Thu slight winning days and Wed a slight loser. Today though was immense. I had the winners in the first 4 races and decent price places in the last 2. With the help of some free bets from the sky bet 1st race offer and a sign up offer on another site it made it a very profitable week. My first winner of the week was Buveur D'Air which was a double joy as it was a NAP table pick. Special Tiara was a nice bonus as I was really only going for the place. Let's Dance kept the winner a day going then came today. It really helped me watching the racing fully live and without distractions today, as 3 of my winners came from watching the build up and adding to my morning selections. Defi de Soleil was a morning pick and for once I didn't earn a free bet. Artic Fire I had ruled out with top weight and lack of racing, but the commentators talking about its class and the Mullins yard return to form on Thursday convinced me it was a worthy of an e/w punt. I added Penhill again hearing the commentary team and a pick as an e/w price plus the penny dropped that the owner was Tony Bloom so went with the poker connection. Sizing John was added when listening to the trainer Jessica Harrington talk about their chances and realising the story behin her first every entry potential completing a very impressive Cheltenham CV. Maybe subliminally the Harrington name and poker connection resonated too. Verni and Theinval completed the day with some nice valued places with 2xfree £10 bets. My favourite has to be Sizing John as it was the big one, but had a big thrill with Buveur D'Air as it was my first Cheltenham winner and I had it as a NAP pick too. Didn't really have a disappointment, sure I backed plenty of losers too but I went in with low expectations of profits and was just enjoying the experience. I honestly enjoyed days 1-3 but today was just unreal. Hooked forever, just need to keep my sensible head on now and not go on "entitlement tilt". I am sticking to small e/w bets in extra place races, until Aintree anyway.
    Posted by Phantom66
    welcome to our world and glad you had a great experience and you go on to prove it wasnt beginners luck
  • edited March 2017
    Agree with all the comments above great spectacle and as you say waller its not just about punting.

In fact I am guilty of not backing my favourite horses as I don't want to jinx them. eg for example spotted Desert Orchid potential early but hardly ever backed him.

As to how many times I have become very emotional at watching great races I hate to admit.

Roll on aintree
  • edited March 2017
    Agree with all the comments above great spectacle and as you say waller its not just about punting. In fact I am guilty of not backing my favourite horses as I don't want to jinx them. eg for example spotted Desert Orchid potential early but hardly ever backed him. As to how many times I have become very emotional at watching great races I hate to admit.   Roll on aintree
    Posted by vaigret

EMOTIONAL MOMENTS THIS COULD BE A GOOD THREAD

RED RUM GETTING UP TO BEAT CRISP THATS ONE OF MINE
  • edited March 2017
    how can it be anything else apart from might bite   amazing how that got back up  
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Favourite Cheltenham Performance? : welcome to our world and glad you had a great experience and you go on to prove it wasnt beginners luck
    Posted by vaigret

Thank you Mr V.

I am already fully aware it was beginners luck and thankfully so.

The danger time will come when I actually start to think I know something about horse racing. At the moment I am happy making small bets where there is value and learning by listening to and reading the input from the people who do know what they are talking about.

• edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Favourite Cheltenham Performance? : Thank you Mr V. I am already fully aware it was beginners luck and thankfully so. The danger time will come when I actually start to think I know something about horse racing. At the moment I am happy making small bets where there is value and learning by listening to and reading the input from the people who do know what they are talking about.
    Posted by Phantom66
    phantom the danger is always when we think we know what we are doing. What I would say is don't lose your basic instinct. the number of times I have picked my likelihood of the winner only to be put off by so called experts. You only really need them when you are struggling to find something for yourself