You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

position

edited August 2009 in The Sky Poker Tour
i cant get my head round the position advantage.
can u explain please
Richard

Comments

• edited July 2009
    If your in position your going to go last, therefore seeing what everyone else does before you need to decide what your going to do ...big advantage...usually...
  • edited July 2009

Position means most in marginal situations. No matter where you are sat, you will probably raise with KK or fold 23, (though sometimes folding KK and moving all-in with 23 is the right play!)

But what about 77?

If you're first to act, do you call, raise or fold? All of them could be valid plays. But what if you call or raise and there are a couple of all-ins by other people - when it comes back round to you, you've got to fold but have lost the money you have put in the pot. So should you fold when the action is first on you? 77, though marginal, is a way above average hand: it would be a pity to just chuck it.

Now what if you have 77 and are on the button (in the dealer seat)?
    If there are a couple of all-ins, you quietly fold and save yourself some cash. If everyone folds round to you, then this is a good time to put in a raise to steal the blinds. If someone calls, that's OK - you've still got a playable hand.

See how much easier it is to play the hand in the last scenario? The less tricky decisions you have, the easier the game is.

So if you're first to act, generally only raise with a hand that can stand a re-raise. If you're last to act, you can raise with any old garbage.

• edited July 2009

BigBluster's reply sums it up nicely.

It's a HUGE advantage to see what everyone else does before you have to act.

Plus, when, as often, everyone checks the Flop, you can try pinching the  Pot.

It is the very first question you should ask yourself after seeing your hole cards - "what position am I?".

What is playable in late Position very often is unplayable in early Position. More so in 10 Seater Tables than 6 seaters, but always important.

On the Buttton, you can Raise or limp with ANY TWO, though don't do it every orbit, or they'll suss what you are up to.

It is THE most important thing with marginal holdings.

Position above ALL ELSE.
  • edited July 2009
    I totally agree with position being all important
    I have also read that sometimes the reverse is true, after the flop it good to act first depending on
    the texture of the flop. on average you miss the flop 60% of the time. (90% for me as above average)
    If they have missed you can take it down, but you must ask the question first using you chips.
    Gary
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: position:
    I totally agree with position being all important I have also read that sometimes the reverse is true, after the flop it good to act first depending on the texture of the flop. on average you miss the flop 60% of the time. (90% for me as above average) If they have missed you can take it down, but you must ask the question first using you chips. Gary
    Posted by IAMALLIN2
    There is a case for 'first-in all-in' late in tournaments with huge blinds, but this is very much the exception.

This scenario aside. Of the elements to consider (cards, opponents, stack, position, etc) I would say that position is as important as any, and more important even than cards.

• edited August 2009
    u  got  early  mid   late position  u  have  differnt   hole  cards u  can  play  in   each  position    go  to  u  tube  and  watch    the  vids  on  there   tell u  all  about     position  on  the  table