You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Idea for recreational players wanting to improve

edited March 2017 in Poker Chat
After winning a sat to the main last night (yey), then promptly busting in a stupid manner (boo) I decided as the mini wasn't going great either (although turned it round and had a deepish run to 34th) to watch some main action and how players I knew where winners played.

The difference between them and us (average recs) is that they make no mistakes, none. Seeing the sort of hands these players played from various positions, 3/4 betting ranges, push fold in the later stages, all played correctly. I know the common thought to improve is to play, but if you ever want a night off from the grind, you could do worse than to spend a session watching how the big volume players play.

A few nights previous in another main, I watched Matt Bates dwindle down to less than 10bb a good way from the money. Now, when I get in that state, especially after losing a flip/race, I'll usually just sigh shove any hands. With timing, using position and patience, Matt persevered and made it into the cash and was a flip away from getting back into real contention. I suppose that's what separates the very best players to the rest of us.

Comments

• edited March 2017
    yeah that is true! I had ace queen in the vegas quarter final last night, the board was aq2xx the other guy flopped trip 2's. I lost half my stack. A few hands later i had pocket 10's. i bet, he called, the flop was akx. he shoved, easy fold for me but because i was down to 1/3 buy in and had put some chips in the pot already i called and was out. Lesson learnt! Nice one NickKay.  
  • edited March 2017
    Hi , I've found poker twitch one of the best ways to improve your game,you can watch top players playing live each night online,and you see their hole cards as they play,and also they explain what they are thinking for each move they make.the ones I find the best are

Tonnakee mtts

JAmie staples mtts

Bparis mtts 

Jason sommervills various

Easywithaces mtts

Innerpchy cash games

Scraggy mtts

Any of them will also answer any question you want to ask

And its all absolutely free and on every night

Just click on poker twitch and they all come up up,the ones with most viewers are normally the be st to watch.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Idea for recreational players wanting to improve:
    Hi , I've found poker twitch one of the best ways to improve your game,you can watch top players playing live each night online,and you see their hole cards as they play,and also they explain what they are thinking for each move they make.the ones I find the best are Tonnakee mtts JAmie staples mtts Bparis mtts  Jason sommervills various Easywithaces mtts Innerpchy cash games Scraggy mtts Any of them will also answer any question you want to ask And its all absolutely free and on every night Just click on poker twitch and they all come up up,the ones with most viewers are normally the be st to watch.
    Posted by TheMadMonk
    Fantastic stuff, I will certainly check this out.
  • edited March 2017
    Its on 24 hours a day nick,lex veidhuise is another good one to watch,he plays mostly daytime,he's on just now playing the $215 buy in game.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Idea for recreational players wanting to improve:
    After winning a sat to the main last night (yey), then promptly busting in a stupid manner (boo) I decided as the mini wasn't going great either (although turned it round and had a deepish run to 34th) to watch some main action and how players I knew where winners played. The difference between them and us (average recs) is that they make no mistakes, none. Seeing the sort of hands these players played from various positions, 3/4 betting ranges, push fold in the later stages, all played correctly. I know the common thought to improve is to play, but if you ever want a night off from the grind, you could do worse than to spend a session watching how the big volume players play. A few nights previous in another main, I watched Matt Bates dwindle down to less than 10bb a good way from the money. Now, when I get in that state, especially after losing a flip/race, I'll usually just sigh shove any hands. With timing, using position and patience, Matt persevered and made it into the cash and was a flip away from getting back into real contention. I suppose that's what separates the very best players to the rest of us.
    Posted by nickkay

I disagree about not making mistakes! Obviously better players will make less mistakes but everyone makes mistakes. No one is perfect.

I do agree that a great way to learn is to watch other players. It is how I learnt a lot. You can see what you like them doing, what you dont like. Try and understand why they have done what they have done. Understanding the logic of other players helps so much.

• edited March 2017
    I recommend watching Doug Polk's videos. He analyses interesting hands and explains what you should and shouldn't be doing at each stage. And yeah what Bates said.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Idea for recreational players wanting to improve:
    After winning a sat to the main last night (yey), then promptly busting in a stupid manner (boo) I decided as the mini wasn't going great either (although turned it round and had a deepish run to 34th) to watch some main action and how players I knew where winners played. The difference between them and us (average recs) is that they make no mistakes, none. Seeing the sort of hands these players played from various positions, 3/4 betting ranges, push fold in the later stages, all played correctly. I know the common thought to improve is to play, but if you ever want a night off from the grind, you could do worse than to spend a session watching how the big volume players play. A few nights previous in another main, I watched Matt Bates dwindle down to less than 10bb a good way from the money. Now, when I get in that state, especially after losing a flip/race, I'll usually just sigh shove any hands. With timing, using position and patience, Matt persevered and made it into the cash and was a flip away from getting back into real contention. I suppose that's what separates the very best players to the rest of us.
    Posted by nickkay
    I must say Matt is amazing to watch and comes back time and time again. It reminds me everytime i'm the short stack that I can spin it back up and have done time and time again. He has patience, am not gonna say of a saint though lol. He just runs golden. Good luck all playing.