You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

CASH DEFINITION - BIG BETS PER HOUR

edited February 2010 in Poker Chat

I really should know the answer to this but i don't.

In cash why are players win rates described by big bets per hour?

I use tracking software and i normally just look at how many big blinds i win per hour which makes more sense and is a clear measure of sucess or failure.

I think a big bet is defined as 2 x the big blind. But why do people use it instead of big blinds per hr?

Also what is a good win rate for an average player and a pro player, obviously the limits effects this.

I normally assume that 5 big blinds per hr is a good average win rate at low stakes but is this the case.

Cheers

Ed

Comments

• edited February 2010
    a win rate is a good win rate per hour--hope this helps
  • edited February 2010
    I think when pokertracker was invented, it was primarily for limit poker.  So on the turn and river in limit poker, the bet is double the big blind.  I think it has just stuck.  I do agree with you though.  Big blinds per hour is easier to understand.

Also, a winrate is usually described in bb/100 hands, rather than bb/hr.  So, 5bb/hr probably works out around 7 or 8 bb/100 hands, which then works out as 3.5-4 big bets or ptbb/100hands.

This winrate may be good at bigger stakes but I dont think its considered too good at the micros.

I am not 100% sure about all this so others feel free to tear it apart.
  • edited February 2010
    yeah its just cos limit used to be more popular i think so people used big bets. I think most people use bb/100 now tho instead of ptbb/100.

its not a very useful stat anyway as its prob never a true reflection of your actual winrate until youve played a bajillion hands. The only thing that matters is if youre winning.
  • edited February 2010
    Cheers guys, thanks for the detailed answers.

That just leaves the question what is a decent win rate for low and medium stakes?

Ie £25, £50 & £100 stakes

Answers in Big Blinds per hour please

I'm guessing 5 but i may be wrong.