You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How Not To Play Poker Pt 1 - Playing Through Pain

edited April 2017 in Poker Chat
Yesterday I had an absolutely terrible day, not in terms of loss but in terms of overall performance and my own reaction to my condition at the time. I've been having ongoing tooth/nerve problems for a while and have spent a mini fortune on treatment recently but lo and behold yesterday I had a flare up and ended up in quite excruciating pain for most of the afternoon and evening.

Now yesterday despite some initial discomfort started off very well indeed. I did my usual Poker study in the morning and proceeded to cash in 9/10 of my first set of DYMs in the afternoon. Great job! Then it hit me....

For whatever reason my tooth/nerve problem decided it was now time to up the ante and let's just say after dealing with the general discomfort for a few days this was enough to push me over the edge. I couldn't concentrate on the game and proceeded to lose 8/10 of my 2nd set of 10 games. Well, I went on tilt....

Now when I say I went on tilt, I don't just mean like minor tilt when you have a swear and a grumble and make some stupid moves. I mean I went into psycho mode and trashed half my room. I'm really lucky that the laptop survived being thrown into the wall because it's the only computer I actually have access to so you know, that would really have sucked.

So the question is why did I play in such discomfort? Well let me tell you why. Because my whole God-damn life it's been one thing or another. I have a heart problem which I'm on meds for, got rsi of the wrists, got IBS and a whole bunch of other stuff. So when you are in this situation you can't just stop doing what you got to do otherwise you'd just stay in bed your entire life.

However, what you shouldn't do is react like I did to my situation. So today, despite my discomfort I've taken a chill-pill, decided that today is going to be a better day. I know what the score is. I might put a stop-loss in place just in case, play 5 games in a set instead of 10 to have to focus for less time and take a break or quit for the day if it hits the fan.

So the lesson for today is if you are in a naffy situation and can't play your A-game, then go away, consider the situation and then either quit or put a plan in place before it goes belly up. Learn to recognise the danger signs and stop if before it goes terminal like it did for me.

No tilt is good tilt.

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Hi PK
    Really sorry to hear of your health situation, I don't wish to intrude too much ( obv a pre to intrusion ;) )
    For me, I try hard to concentrate on the positives. I had a little scare recently and the massive positive for me was my family being there for me at a time of need, now I understand yours is an on-going issue..and tooth problems are one of THE worst pains known to man ( without being sexist, women prob have worse pains at some point :) )
    I hope things improve health wise , as for poker ...well...if you are playing for fun, is this fun? If you are playing to make a steady income you have put the answer to your poker issue at the foot of your post.

Have you close family you could either a) visit or b) chat to.

As the song goes - There's a world outside your window.

Good luck in both poker and life.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: How Not To Play Poker Pt 1 - Playing Through Pain:
    Hi PK Really sorry to hear of your health situation, I don't wish to intrude too much ( obv a pre to intrusion ;) ) For me, I try hard to concentrate on the positives. I had a little scare recently and the massive positive for me was my family being there for me at a time of need, now I understand yours is an on-going issue..and tooth problems are one of THE worst pains known to man ( without being sexist, women prob have worse pains at some point :) ) I hope things improve health wise , as for poker ...well...if you are playing for fun, is this fun? If you are playing to make a steady income you have put the answer to your poker issue at the foot of your post.    Have you close family you could either a) visit or b) chat to. As the song goes - There's a world outside your window. Good luck in both poker and life.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    No probs, I'm open to intrusion lol Makes for better converse :-D

I quite agree. Obviously there are times when it can be a little challenging to see past your current situation (even when it may not be hugely significant to your profit/loss over the longer period) - although of course tilt always is something to avoid. I try and remind myself of what I'm doing Poker for in the long run - yes, the enjoyment of playing (most of the time) but also because I want great freedom in my life. Not to mention being able to occasionally spoil myself when I hit the jackpot.

From that you will be able to glean that I am doing it seriously for a living but I'm definitely determined to make sure that yesterday's situation doesn't happen again. I'm not pleased with acting that way. It was childish and calmness of mind as well as discipline are so important to making great things happen poker-wise (and in general).

Oh don't get me started on the subject of family. I am glad yours has been there for you but my family are not exactly close and to be quite frank I feel that going my own way in that regard will allow me to escape of previously crushing negativity....

Only positive people and master-mind groups now pal ;-)
  • edited April 2017
    Alright Pk
    Have you read robtim,s thread in STT strategy? Not sure if he got the players he was after or or if he is still offering it but if were in your position i,d certainly give that a go 

GL 
  • edited April 2017
    Alright Pk Have you read robtim,s thread in STT strategy? Not sure if he got the players he was after or or if he is still offering it but if were in your position i,d certainly give that a go  GL 
    Posted by MP33
    Hi MP33

Thank you for your reply. I've taken a look and the idea of personal coaching is certainly an attractive concept in some ways. I'll take a further look and see what exactly the offer is and find out a little more about the potential coach.

Cheers for the suggestion.
  • edited April 2017
    Far be it from me to offer much in the way of poker advice but i find that if i am having a bad day for whatever reason i just give the normal small stakes games i play a miss completely and do something else. It cannot do anyone any good playing poker when you are well stressed out.

I have a sciatica problem, had it since last September, when the pain is at its worst i cannot even think about playing poker, i just do something else (i am into walking at the minute) and then come back a couple of days later when i feel better. It does you good, no doubt about it.

Hope your chill pills work for you PkD.
  • edited April 2017
    Far be it from me to offer much in the way of poker advice but i find that if i am having a bad day for whatever reason i just give the normal small stakes games i play a miss completely and do something else. It cannot do anyone any good playing poker when you are well stressed out. I have a sciatica problem, had it since last September, when the pain is at its worst i cannot even think about playing poker, i just do something else (i am into walking at the minute) and then come back a couple of days later when i feel better. It does you good, no doubt about it. Hope your chill pills work for you PkD.
    Posted by 55013
    No, you're quite right. I think that taking a break or even leaving it for a day or two is very reasonable and generally agreed on advice. Clearly it didn't do me much good yesterday to continue playing (although I will say I managed with it much better today and made it my aim from the beginning of the day to deal with it in a set way and to not allow it to have the impact it did - I think having this mindset to make the best of it was a very helpful and positive approach in my case).

I feel for you with the sciatica and I guess there are just some problems that we cannot ride over, especially when maximum concentration is needed.

I'm just fed up of problems with my body dictating my life and so am resisting a little more than I would have done in the past. The idea of having to take a break everytime I have a pain or a cold or things are on my mind equates to me as lost time....On the other hand lost time may actually be better for the bankroll so you know.