You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I think SKYBET have got it wrong

edited April 2017 in Betting Chat
I'm pretty sure SKYBET have got the explanation wrong on the each way payout on Rory McIlroy (and it will be the same for Kevin Chappell if anyone backed him e/w)
In the explanation it says 'coz they tied 7th it's classed as a dead-heat and your place part of your each way bet is halved, but surely this would have been the case if SKYBET were paying 7 places, but as they were paying 8 places and they both were in the top 8 you should get your full place stake paid out at 1/4 the odds of the 2 players.....

.....and in the explanation SKYBET have definitely got it wrong when they say Rory would get paid out at 1/5th odds 'coz it should be 1/4 odds. I'm sure it's been a long night for the staff, but these issues need addressing before you get a load of complaints

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Hi Misty.

I had Kevin Chappel at 150-1  and i have been paid at 1/4 odds  so my payout was correct.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to I think SKYBET have got it wrong:
    I'm pretty sure SKYBET have got the explanation wrong on the each way payout on Rory McIlroy (and it will be the same for Kevin Chappell if anyone backed him e/w) In the explanation it says 'coz they tied 7th it's classed as a dead-heat and your place part of your each way bet is halved, but surely this would have been the case if SKYBET were paying 7 places, but as they were paying 8 places and they both were in the top 8 you should get your full place stake paid out at 1/4 the odds of the 2 players..... .....and in the explanation SKYBET have definitely got it wrong when they say Rory would get paid out at 1/5th odds 'coz it should be 1/4 odds. I'm sure it's been a long night for the staff, but these issues need addressing before you get a load of complaints
    Posted by MISTY4ME

You are absolutely correct of course Misty.

However, my bet on Rory has been settled correctly. I got £120 back for a £40 E/W.

Was the bet concerned placed before the off?

Only thing I can think of is, that it's either a mistake or they are referring to an "in play" bet, where perhaps only 7 places were paid and it was 1/5th odds.

Anyhow, mine seems OK, hope you get it sorted.

Cheers,

G
  • edited April 2017
    Glad to see that the bets are being settled correctly. I didn't back Rory or Kevin Chappell (great pick ALFIE btw....they gave you 1/4 odds to the full place stake then??),

I was just reading the Dead Heat rules and the explanation they put up as an example on Rory McIlroy if you think you should have been paid out more. They were quoting exactly what I wrote including 1/5th odds!! I don't know if you can find it Graham..... I know you are very thorough. I think i read they only paid 5 places if you backed players e/w after the tourney had started.
     I actually spoke to customer services as well this morning and they confirmed that it was as per the explanation and that the place part of the e/w bet would be halved (£10 ew would lose £10 win part of the bet, and the £10 place part would be halved to £5 as it was a dead heat).......
    ....and the £5 would be paid at 1/5th  the 7/1 odds.... therefore £5 at 1.4/1 + £5 stake = return of £12.... which is ALL WRONG.
     I thought I'd better let them know asap. The lad in cc even went and spoke to a trader who confirmed it too. Good job I had to take my daughter to the dentist or I would have had a full blown row with them haha. I was proper tilted.... and as I said, I hadn't even backed either of them.

Try and find explanation/example Graham for me please. You can find it if you go into your account - then settled bets - and click on your Rory Mc. bet....  or wait for a link to come up at the top of the settled bets list,"did you know" info link and under FAQ's too. It's just in case it's something I've missed/got wrong.

I was going to speak to/post Neil on his Chat with Channing forum, 'til you both said that you'd been paid out correctly.... but the wrong explanation shouldn't be available anyway. All very confusing
  • edited April 2017
    To be fair Misty i got on Kevin Chappell on an IN PLAY bet when he was -4 in first round and Sky were holding the starting prices for the first few hours of play so thought it was worth a punt, and yeah i got paid out on 1/4 odds of my full stake.
    When Fowler was tied with mcilroy and chappell i assumed i would get less of a return as at the time they were all tied 8th and the return is adjusted according to the amount of players tied for the last payout places. Fowler bogeyed last couple so was out of the equation.
  • edited April 2017
    what bet did you have on?

• edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: I think SKYBET have got it wrong:
    what bet did you have on?
    Posted by jordz16
    I didn't back either of them Jordz, I backed Justin Rose so was a bit gutted it was the outright winner market instead of dead heat for 1st, but I realise that if Justin had won the play off, I would have got paid out in full.
    It was when I read the dead heat rules on the FAQ's to do with 'The Masters', i noticed that their explanation and example on Rory McIlroy was totally wrong. I just didnt want peeps being paid out wrong, but it seems all's OK. But SKYBET need to amend the explanation. Obviously you don't normally get 8 places sadly
  • edited April 2017
    My McIllroy return was as expected 1/4 odds and no deduction as only 2 tied for 7th and 8 places paid.

Deductions would have been valied on revised e/w terms in running if they were ever paying out for 7 places but I don't know if that was the case.

I think their explanation is wrong however and is still on the website (if you click on the link at the top of the "my account" section headed Paid out less than expected in the masters?

It correctly states 8 places paid but incorrectly applies the dead heat deduction in the example to Rory's tied 7th.

Dead Heat Rules

Lower than expected returns on your bet?

Example 1 - £10 Each Way (£20 total stake) on Rory Mcllroy to win at 7/1 - Potential returns £104

As Mcllroy tied 7th with 1 other player, dead heat rules are applied. Your total stake is divided by the number of players that tied, in this case the £10 each way bet stake is divided by 2.

After the dead heat, your stake is now £5. As per the each way rules, the win part of your bet has lost, but the place part of your bet has won. For the Masters, Sky Bet were offering 8 places at 1/5 of the odds, therefore your odds of 7/1 are divided by 5

Your bet is worked out now £5 @ 1.4/1 = £12 returns

• edited April 2017
    My McIllroy return was as expected 1/4 odds and no deduction as only 2 tied for 7th and 8 places paid. Deductions would have been valied on revised e/w terms in running if they were ever paying out for 7 places but I don't know if that was the case. I think their explanation is wrong however and is still on the website (if you click on the link at the top of the "my account" section headed Paid out less than expected in the masters? https://support.skybet.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/537?utm_source=DeadHeats&utm_medium=DYK#7 It correctly states 8 places paid but incorrectly applies the dead heat deduction in the example to Rory's tied 7th. Dead Heat Rules Lower than expected returns on your bet? Example 1 - £10 Each Way (£20 total stake) on Rory Mcllroy to win at 7/1 - Potential returns £104 As Mcllroy tied 7th with  1 other player , dead heat rules are applied. Your total stake is divided by the number of players that tied, in this case the £10 each way bet stake is divided by 2. After the dead heat, your stake is now £5. As per the each way rules, the win part of your bet has lost, but the place part of your bet has won. For the Masters, Sky Bet were offering 8 places at 1/5 of the odds, therefore your odds of 7/1 are divided by 5 Your bet is worked out now £5 @ 1.4/1 = £12 returns
    Posted by Phantom66

Yes, clearly wrong, but it looks like bets have been settled correctly.

As an example of dead heat rules, lets say that Rory was tied 7th with two other players, you would/should get back 2/3rds of what you would get otherwise.

So IF Rory was tied 7th with two others, I would get £80 back for my £40E/W. (namely 2/3rds of £120)

If say 4 players were tied 6th, this is interesting, and you would get back 3/4s of the mormal place return. Because 6th, 7th and 8th count, whilst 9th does not. So if Rory was tied 6th with three others, I'd get back £90.

Make sense?

I have often had golf bets settled incorrectly (sometimes in my favour), so always worth checking.

In fact just the other day, I had a very similar situation with a bookmaker who will remain anonymous.

First they settled it as a loser, then I called them, then they settled it incorrectly but in my favour. They seem to get it wrong quite often across the board.

Cheers,

• edited April 2017
    I never thought to Copy & paste it..... you can tell I'm not overly computer savvy, but glad you found it, and that I'm not going mad.

Yes totally agree Graham and Well Done last night in the UKOPS semi and The Roller
  • edited April 2017
    On a point of note, some bookmakers don't display the E/W terms in the bet receipt and you have no proof of what they were at the time your bet was struck. 

So always worth a little cut and paste/screen shot of the E/W terms when you place the bet.

This is particularly important as in-play E/W terms change all the time.

Cheers,

G

P.S. SkyBet usually do show the terms, in the bet receipt, although my bet on Rory only showed that 8 places were payable and didn't show that it was 1/4 the odds. As I said, it was all settled OK, and it was widely known that bets before the start were, 8 plcaes at 1/4 the odds, so no problem in this instance.

Whilst a screen shot isn't "binding" it can assist you in showing them the error.
  • edited April 2017
    To be fair Misty i got on Kevin Chappell on an IN PLAY bet when he was -4 in first round and Sky were holding the starting prices for the first few hours of play so thought it was worth a punt, and yeah i got paid out on 1/4 odds of my full stake. When Fowler was tied with mcilroy and chappell i assumed i would get less of a return as at the time they were all tied 8th and the return is adjusted according to the amount of players tied for the last payout places. Fowler bogeyed last couple so was out of the equation.
    Posted by ALFIE123
    This seems crazy & surely a huge mistake by skybet!?
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: I think SKYBET have got it wrong : This seems crazy & surely a huge mistake by skybet!?
    Posted by goldnballz

He was available at 250/1 in some places pre-round which is why im sure Skybet were happy to hold his price for a bit longer, prices dont change too much in the 1st round as there is simply so much play left. Also sky will take so much casual punter money on the big names that they have to keep their prices far shorter which in turn means the lesser names like Chappell will be available at bigger prices because they will leave sky with a far lesser liability. 
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: I think SKYBET have got it wrong : He was available at 250/1 in some places pre-round which is why im sure Skybet were happy to hold his price for a bit longer, prices dont change too much in the 1st round as there is simply so much play left. Also sky will take so much casual punter money on the big names that they have to keep their prices far shorter which in turn means the lesser names like Chappell will be available at bigger prices because they will leave sky with a far lesser liability. 
    Posted by jordz16
    ..... and the fact that unknown's generally blow up, particularly by Round 4 when the pressure gets to them. But well done to Kevin Chappell for staying up there, and to you Alfie for recognising the value opportunity, after all, that's what betting is about.