You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weekend footy betting (Sat 20th)

edited February 2010 in The Shed
Right, it's that time again & I'm determined (hoping!) that I'm gonna take a few quid off the bookies this weekend. 3 different bets as usual.

Main Accumulator:

Cardiff to beat Barnsley (H) @ 8/11
Newcastle to beat Preston (H) @ 8/15
Forest to beat Middlesbrough (H) @ 5/6
Colchester to beat Oldham (H) @ 8/13
Swindon to beat Carlisle (H) @ 8/11
Rochdale to beat Dagenham (H) @ 4/6

As a general rule of thumb I never normally pick more than 5 games for my main accumulator as it's far less likely to come in, however, no matter how many times I look through the form book & stats of the teams involved I just can't find one to drop so I'm gonna take a bigger than normal gamble this week. The 6 way on this currently returns a little over 21/1. I'll also be perming 5 from 6 as well.

Cardiff are generally strong at home & are yet to lose there this year. They very nearly beat one of the divisions stronger teams in West Brom in their last game there whilst Barnsley have only won 1 of their last 6 aways having lost 4 of them. Newcastle are unbeaten at home all season & have scored 9 in the last 2 at St James. Preston have won only once in their last 9 aways which came at rock bottom Peterborough. Forest are unbeaten in 12 at home in the league & they've won 11 of those. Their last home league defeat came at the hands of Blackpool way back in September. Although Boro seem to picking up a bit of late they are very inconsistent & really not great away from home. They've won 1 & lost 4 of their last 6 aways. Colchester have only lost 2 at home in the league all season & they were against the divisions top 2 teams in Norwich & Leeds. The only other team to have come away from there with anything is Exeter back in November when they managed a 2-2 draw. Oldham have only won 1 & lost 5 of their last 7 aways. Swindon have only lost 1 at home in the league all season when Hartlepool managed to come away with the points back in October. Despite picking up a point in their last away game Huddersfield, Carlisle are generally not that strong away from Brunton Park having only won 1 from their last 6. Rochdale are unbeaten in 6 at home whilst Dagenham are in freefall having only won once in their last 9 aways.

Long Shot:

Everton/Man Utd - DRAW @ 5/2
Portsmouth/Stoke - DRAW @ 12/5
Derby/Swansea - DRAW @ 12/5
Scunthorpe to beat Watford (H) @ 13/10
Millwall to beat Wycombe (A) @ 11/10

This week I've gone for a REAL long shot. These 5 are returning a whopping 194/1!!!!!!!

Everton have been in great form recently and have beaten both Man City & Chelsea at home in recent weeks. Man Utd have been in decent form themselves recently having nicked a draw against Villa with 10 men last time out so the draw looks a good bet here. Portsmouth have certainly got plenty of fight in them but Stoke are difficult to break down. Stoke have drawn 3 of their last 4 games & Pompey are worth a point. Derby & Swansea are 2 of the form teams in the Championship at the moment & there's very little between them. Scunthorpe haven't exactly been the model of consistency themselves but are generally difficult to beat at home. Couple that with the fact that Watford have lost 7 of their last 8 away & the home win looks good value. As expected, Wycombe have struggled at this level all season. Their last home victory came back in December against a Stockport team who everyone is beating. They've lost their last 4 at home, Whilst Millwall have been fairly inconsistent away from home this season they do have a good record on the road against the struggling teams in this league.

For my 3rd bet of the weekend I've gone for something a little bit different. I've had a goalcast bet on the West Ham/Hull game with Carlton Cole to score first & West Ham to win 2-0. This pays 22/1,

Good luck to all with your betting this weekend.

Jay

Comments

• edited February 2010

I've got a good feeling about today, we're gonna hammer the bookies(we've got to really, some people stooped as low as betting on Eastenders yesterday so you know things aren't going too well).

League One should be good for some accas today, the form teams are strong at the mo and the other teams are a load of plop.

I'll post my selections in the next hour. Good luck everyone.

• edited February 2010
    Dont talk to me about Eastenders Quag.

It turned out to be as exciting as extra-time and penalties.............

In a Johnstones Paint Trophy (northern section) Game.
  • edited February 2010
    Not had a big bet today had a fiver on

cardiff 4/6
    swansea 8/5
    forrest 1/1
    sheff United 11/10
    Leeds 2/5
    Norwhich 8/11
    Rchdlase 4/7

Pays a nice 345.80

and had a couple of quid on the coupon where bot treams need to score in the match, gone for the following games

Wolves
    newcastle
    Plymouth
    Tranmere
    Walsall
    Wycombe
    Crewe
    Rochdale

This pays 249.99

made a msiatke by putting rochdale in as they are in mymain bet dont really want dagenham to score.

Good luck all
  • edited February 2010
    First acca is:

West Ham
    Forest
    Colchester
    Mk Dons
    Swindon
    Rochdale

Currently 24/1.

Eastenders is a truly woeful programme. I was channel surfing a few years back, landed on beeb 1 to find a load of peeps stood round the pool table in the Queen Vic having a go at some guy called Minty for dropping an awful guff. Surely the tv licence money the beeb gets should produce better stuff than this.
  • edited February 2010
    Here's my draw acca:

Derby v Swansea
    Plymouth v Leicester
    Sheff Wed v Ipswich
    Aldershot v Notts County
    Crewe v Northampton

Pays 389/1!
  • edited February 2010

here's me weekend accum gl all  dtw

1. Luton v AFC Wimbledon
    2. Luton @ 4/6
    3. Kettering v Grays Athletic
    4. Kettering @ 1/4
    5. Rochdale v Dagenham
    6. Rochdale @ 4/6
    7. Bournemouth v Macclesfield
    8. Bournemouth @ 8/15
    9. Swindon v Carlisle
    10. Swindon @ 8/11
    11. MK Dons v Southend
    12. MK Dons @ 4/6
    13. Leeds v Brighton
    14. Leeds @ 2/5
    15. Nottm. Forest v Middlesbro'
    16. Nottm. Forest @ 5/6
    17. Newcastle v Preston
    18. Newcastle @ 8/15
    19. Cardiff v Barnsley
    20. Cardiff @ 8/11
    21. Wolves v Chelsea
    22. Chelsea @ 1/3
    23. Arsenal v Sunderland
    24. Arsenal @ 2/9

• edited February 2010
    Live on tv bet

Barcelona v Santander Barcelona @ 1/6WGC Matchplay Outright Wilson O @ 11/1Warrington v Wigan 16-20 Warrington @ 8/1Pakistan v England - 2nd T20  England @ 10/11240/1

Footy Bet...
    1. Sheff. Wed v Ipswich Ipswich @ 2/1
    2. Scunthorpe v Watford Scunthorpe @ 13/10
    3. Q.P.R. v Doncaster Doncaster @ 2/1
    4. Nottm. Forest v Middlesbro' Draw @ 5/2
    5. Cardiff v Barnsley Cardiff @ 8/11
    6. Arsenal v Sunderland Arsenal @ 2/9
    149/1

Footy/Horses...

1. Cardiff v Barnsley Whittingham, P. @ 11/2
    2. Q.P.R. v Doncaster Sharp, B. @ 11/2
    3. 3:35 Haydock - Extra Value Race Le Beau Bai @ 11/2
    4. 2:45 Ascot Zabeel Palace @ 13/2
    1400/1 or lucky 15 for meeee

GL, DOHH
  • edited February 2010
    Footy Selections in 8 and 9 folds today.
    Had to dip into the Conference North/South for a few.

West Ham 8/11
    Cardiff 8/11
    Colchester 4/6
    Exeter 4/5
    MK Dons 8/11
    Port Vale 5/6
    Staines Town 4/6
    Basingstoke 11/10
    Stafford Rangers 11/10

Gonna Try a single on Middlesbro at Forest. 10/3 is a big price.

As always, Good Luck to Everyone with their Bets Today!!
  • edited February 2010

Have backed over 2.5 goals in the games at

Portsmouth
    Blackpool
    Palace
    Charlton
    Swindon
    Grimsby
    Rochdale
    Falkirk
    Cowdenbeath

8-folds and an acca.

• edited February 2010
    Well most of us have got cardiff and they are 2-0 down after 20 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a load of *******
  • edited February 2010
    Looks like it's gonna be a case of nearly but not quite today.

Cardiff are killing my main acca, Man Utd killed my long shot in the first game of the day & Carlton Cole scored our 2nd against Hull, DOH!

Still, West Ham are winning, all our nearest rivals playing today are losing & there's a few games to get stuck into tomorrow, not to mention the European games as well.

Oh, and all being well, one of the 5 folds is still looking good so I might make back most of my outlay.
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (Sat 20th):
    I've got a good feeling about today, we're gonna hammer the bookies(we've got to really, some people stooped as low as betting on Eastenders yesterday so you know things aren't going too well). League One should be good for some accas today, the form teams are strong at the mo and the other teams are a load of plop. I'll post my selections in the next hour. Good luck everyone.
    Posted by Quagmire72
    Giggety Quagmire......Hooters for you tonight, Road Wars repeats on Sky1 for me.
  • edited February 2010
    First acca is: West Ham Forest Colchester Mk Dons Swindon Rochdale Currently 24/1. 
    Posted by Quagmire72
    Nice win there Quagmire. How much did you stake?

At least one of my 5 folds came in. Waiting to see how much it's returned but I should get back most of my outlay
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks guys. Only stuck £1.95 on so should be good for just under £50, should enable me to get one lapdance. Giggety!

Well done on your 5 fold silentbob.
  • edited February 2010
    Cheers Quagmire.

I only did 50p per line on that but it returned £6.54 so nearly covered my outlay on all my bets so I haven't really lost much at all. I think I'm only about 50p down so not gonna worry there!

I'll have a look at tomorrows games shortly and see if I can pick out a few
  • edited February 2010
    Cheers Quagmire. I only did 50p per line on that but it returned £6.54 so nearly covered my outlay on all my bets so I haven't really lost much at all. I think I'm only about 50p down so not gonna worry there! I'll have a look at tomorrows games shortly and see if I can pick out a few
    Posted by silentbob
    Nice one as well Jay, getting your money back is like drawing away from home!

Let us know if you are going to post your selections for tomorrow mate.

I can whiff the Brut from Quagmires house as I type......
  • edited February 2010
    Can I just add.....FFS CARDIFF!!!!!

Does anyone else have a team (or teams), that when you back them, they play like they have all just met each other 5 minutes before kick-off?

Mine Include...

Cardiff
    West Brom
    Tran*ere
    Bristol City
    Rotherham
    Dundee

Discuss.........
  • edited February 2010
    Can I just add.....FFS CARDIFF!!!!! Does anyone else have a team (or teams), that when you back them, they play like they have all just met each other 5 minutes before kick-off? Mine Include... Cardiff West Brom Tran*ere Bristol City Rotherham Dundee Discuss.........
    Posted by emilyegg
    It's funny you should mention Cardiff. The last time I backed them this season was the last time they lost at home against Plymouth!
    Leeds were like that for me last season. Almost without fail, every single time I backed them they either lost or drew.

I'll have my selections up for tomorrow shortly
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (Sat 20th) : Nice one as well Jay, getting your money back is like drawing away from home! Let us know if you are going to post your selections for tomorrow mate. I can whiff the Brut from Quagmires house as I type......
    Posted by emilyegg
    Wish i could afford some top quality aftershave like Brut, i'll be dabbing on some Brine by John West(look out for it, starting to gain a following in the current economic climate).

On the subject of bogey teams that ruin accas, Stoke have cost me a good wedge on 2 accas in the past 2 seasons. Crewe, Carlizzle and Man Utd normally cost me aswell(Man Utd cost me and me mate £5,000 several years ago, we stuck an Ayrton Senna apiece on a 14-team acca and they were the only team to let us down, got beat by some non-descript Hungarian team. They hammered them 5-1 at Old Trafford the week after. Swines).
  • edited February 2010
    Right then, I've found a nice juicy 4 way to get your teeth into for tomorrow

Villa to beat Burnley by 2 goals or more (H) @ 11/10
    (just in case anyone's unfamiliar with this bet you can find it under handicap betting on the match in question)
    Fulham to beat Birmingham (H) @ 11/10
    West Brom to beat Bristol City (A) @ EVENS
    Schalke 04 to beat Wolfsburg (A) @ 6/4

These 4 are returning 21/1.

Quite frankly Burnley's away form is what's gonna send them down this season. In 13 away games so far they've managed to pick up a grand total of 1 point which came at Man City way back in November. They've lost the other 12 conceding 38 goals in the process. That's pretty much averaging 3 goals conceded per game!! In contrast Villa are decent at home having only lost twice there all season (Wigan on the opening day & Liverpool a few weeks back). They've only conceded 8 at home & Milner, Carew, Agbonlahor & co will be looking forward to getting a few more goal bonuses out of this one!

Fulham have been very strong at home for the last couple of years now. They've lost 3 from 13 at home this season which isn't bad considering that these came against Chelsea, Arsenal & Villa. Whilst Birmingham had a purple patch not so long ago they've lost their way a little bit in recent weeks & have also lost 6 of their 12 away games this season. This includes defeats at Hull, Burnley, Wolves & my own West Ham, all teams that have generally struggled this season.

Bristol City have really been out of sorts lately having only won 1 in their last 10 home & away. At home it's not good reading either. They've only won once at Ashton Gate since mid October (against Preston last month). Meanwhile, West Brom have the best away record in the division having only lost once in 16 aways (that was at Barnsley way back in September). They've won 8, drawn 7 & scored 31 goals on the road.

Wolfsburg are struggling in the Bundesliga this season. They've lost 6 of their 11 home games with their last victory at home coming way back in mid October against Borussia Munchengladbach (who are only just above them in the table themselves). Schalke have one of the best away records in the league having only lost 1 of their 10 away games this season (which, ironically was also against Munchengladbach too in November).

Good luck to those betting tomorrow

Jay
  • edited February 2010
    Today was a complete shambles and althrough i don't like to chase after money i've lost i've put on a £10 treble which pays £39.

Villa win 2/5
    Fulham/Birmingham under 2.5 goals 8/13
    Man city/Liverpool under 2.5 goals 8/11

If it comes in i'll be about £7 in profit, if not the bookies have done well out of me this weekend.

achill
  • edited February 2010
    Just a double today.
    Hearts @ 4/6 v hamilton +
    Villa @ 2/5  Pays just over 5/4.
         I like your bet achill, city v l'pool last 3 years 0-1  0-0  0-0. (from last tuesdays sun pools guide)
    + fulham v brum. A 0-0 draw or 1-0 either way wouldnt surprise anyone, 0-0 last season. Almost 3/1 does look tempting. Good luck everyone.
  • edited February 2010
    quietly confident abouts todays bet,

marseille 1/2
    Lyon 6/5
    Athletico Bilbao 4/6
    Osauana 4/5
    Anderlecht 2/9
    Porot 5/6

£10 pays £221.83
  • edited February 2010
    Thank you West Brom. It looks as though they're the only ones to do me in today.

After a shaky start Villa did what was expected & knocked 5 past Burnley, Fulham nicked it in injury time & Schalke are currently 1-0 up with very little left to play.
  • edited February 2010
    Thank you West Brom. It looks as though they're the only ones to do me in today. After a shaky start Villa did what was expected & knocked 5 past Burnley, Fulham nicked it in injury time & Schalke are currently 1-0 up with very little left to play.
    Posted by silentbob
    Nightmare Jay, one of the teams that ALWAYS do me in when I back them.
  • edited February 2010
    I feel better now that Wolfsburg have turned the game around & are now 2-1 up. Always hate it when it's only one that lets you down.
  • edited February 2010
    That Villa (-1) at 11/10 was a belting price. Good Spot.
  • edited February 2010
    That Villa (-1) at 11/10 was a belting price. Good Spot.
    Posted by emilyegg
    I always look at the handicap betting in these kind of games without fail. More often than not it's worth including these in acca's cos the general win price is just not worth it (I didn't think it was worth backing them at 2/5 when they're likely to score a hatful)
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (Sat 20th) : I always look at the handicap betting in these kind of games without fail. More often than not it's worth including these in acca's cos the general win price is just not worth it (I didn't think it was worth backing them at 2/5 when they're likely to score a hatful)
    Posted by silentbob
    and with all due respect to Burnley, you wouldn't have a free bet on them away from home
  • edited February 2010
     very unlucky achill, last minute goal in fulahm did ya,