You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Possible link between better sleep and more optimal poker performance

edited May 2017 in Poker Chat
Okay this is stolen from a post I just started on another site. If anyone finds it interesting it would be great to hear as many thoughts as possible on the topic hence I have posted it here too...

"I noticed Doobs recently posted a question about psychological processes behind our thinking as poker players.

I have recently finished my studies in psychology (probably why the post stood out to me). Another area where psychology may impact upon us as poker players has intrigued me for the last month or 2 and it is the link between better sleep and more optimal poker performance. 

If anyone needs convincing as to just how important sleep is generally to our functioning then I can recommend this Ted X talk by Robert Foster who is an expert on the neuropsychology underpinning sleep.

The very basic premise is that there is a lot of research indicating better cognitive functioning after we have had a 'good sleep' and poor performance if we are sleep deprived. This is apart from a mass of negative physical and mental health implications that can result from being sleep deprived.

The slightly deeper premise is that as we are awake during the day a lot of metabolic byproducts or toxins build up in the brain due to all the neural activity taking place. When we sleep the glymphatic system (referred to by some as the 'waste management system') 'flushes' a lot of these toxins away by 'bathing' certain areas of the brain in cerebrospinal fluid. On top of this a lot of 'memory consolodation' takes place while we sleep which has direct implications on our cognitive functioning in relation to memory and attention.

As poker players I think many of us get in a pattern of doing all our stuff during the day, whether it is chores or taking care of kids or employment responsibilities. Then in the evening, when we are probably generally becoming a bit more tired and haven't slept for a while, we start playing poker. This is obviously, if the above factors are considered, the least optimal time to play poker. I have also noticed I tend to be more cognitively productive when I waken up after a good sleep (i.e. I have just woken up and my mind is whizzing and spewing all this rubbish).

Through chance I had an opportunity recently to test this all out. I was completing my uni studies and also trying to take part in the UKOPS leaderboard on Sky poker. Time and sleep management became a major issue as I juggled both and the pattern I got into was as follows... 5-7 hours study during the day - an hour or 2 taking care of other stuff and getting dinner etc - an hour or 2 nap - then playing poker for 5-7 hours - and finally getting my regular sleep at night. 

As I was now playing my poker directly after an hour or 2 nap I noticed a huge difference in my poker and much improved results, even although I was being stretched quite thin overall. Although I had previously wondered about the link between 'good sleep' and improved poker performance. This gave me a practical example of the implications. I agree this is a ridiculously small sample size to judge things by, but the science behind it also makes sense and is something that has therefore grabbed my attention.

So maybe this is something for players to generally consider if they are looking to find a little bit extra of an edge?

Would be great to hear some opinions on this.

I am done with my studies but if I decide to do further postgrad study this is definitely an area I would be interested in exploring further.

So has anyone noticed anything similar or do you think this is all a pile of steaming %^&*?"

Comments

• edited April 2017
    I think that it's mostly a pile of steaming %^&*
  • edited April 2017
    Hi Mark, I am sure playing when tired is the least optimal time to play poker and I now very rarely play in the evenings at all, as at the ripe old age of 57 anything past ten o' clock just wouldn't be profitable for me, obviously just my opinion.
    Being an ex DYM player where it's pretty much abc poker & where volume is key, playing in the evenings was almost a must, but now playing cash I find playing just 1 table during the day, with good table selection, is working well for me right now.
    (It would be interesting to try playing in the evenings only for a month say & see if my results improved or not, but for now i'll stick with what's working, ha ha.)
    Ps: winning is all about finding those little edges, whether that be playing more/less tables depending on your game choice, & when/when not to play, &if you were to incorporate having a sleep before playing  any lengthy sessions, I am sure it would be more helpful than harmful in most cases.
  • edited April 2017
    I'd say it's pretty common knowledge that when we are well rested (and well fed etc), our brain works 'better' and so we'd make better decisions. 

It's laughable to say that you could see the impact over a week's worth of MTTs or w/e obviously. Even if the different plan had a huuuge impact, say it increased his ROI in MTTs by 5% that'd still probably make such a tiny impact over the course of <100 MTTs as to not even be noticeable. But yeah, feeling rested, well fed, regular exercise, all gonna be good for getting the brain working better/increasing blood flow etc.
  • edited May 2017
    Interesting post Marky - i,m no physchologist but pretty much agree with what Lambert said

i used to have a program installed on my computer to dull the brightness of the screen when playing poker . It would automatically switch on after a certain time in the evening.

I keep hearing about watching ipads and TV screens before bed not being good for sleeping and since i now sometimes play on my 50 inch tele and often pull it close i could really do with finding this program again as its far to bright and probably the reason it takes me a while to get to sleep so if anyone knows what it is or knows of something similar can you let me know - cheers

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Possible link between better sleep and more optimal poker performance:
    Interesting post Marky - i,m no physchologist but pretty much agree with what Lambert said i used to have a program installed on my computer to dull the brightness of the screen when playing poker . It would automatically switch on after a certain time in the evening. I keep hearing about watching ipads and TV screens before bed not being good for sleeping and since i now sometimes play on my 50 inch tele and often pull it close i could really do with finding this program again as its far to bright and probably the reason it takes me a while to get to sleep so if anyone knows what it is or knows of something similar can you let me know - cheers
    Posted by MP33
    Cheers MP33

The reason the i-pads and TV screens are not good before bed is as follows...

When it gets darker our body produces the hormone Melatonin which makes us sleepy. The levels of this during the day are very low but higher at night to help us sleep. Melatonin helps set our body clocks or circadian rythms. If you stare at a bright screen late at night, it effectively mimics daylight and Melatonin production goes down and we can find it harder to sleep.

Not sure about the other thing, I could only suggest a pair of sunglasses :D
  • edited May 2017
    Cheers for the replies folks, some interesting points!

@Lambert I am not sure it is as insignificant as you mention. The effect on concentration through being sleep deprived has been likened to being drunk. I can dig out some links which show the scale of the effect. I can say from experience that playing drunk can have quite a profound effect on results lol
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Possible link between better sleep and more optimal poker performance:
    Cheers for the replies folks, some interesting points! @Lambert I am not sure it is as insignificant as you mention. The effect on concentration through being sleep deprived has been likened to being drunk. I can dig out some links which show the scale of the effect. I can say from experience that playing drunk can have quite a profound effect on results lol
    Posted by markycash
    Totally agree
    I was both tired and drunk tonight 
    Did wins :)
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Possible link between better sleep and more optimal poker performance : Totally agree I was both tired and drunk tonight  Did wins :)
    Posted by Jac35
    Yeah yeah, I have had some mixed results drunk myself lol.

Actually in tourneys I have had some surprisingly good results drunk. Cash games is a whole different story!

Nice one on the £660 chop.
  • edited May 2017
    Hi Marky,  good post, i def think rest before playing ( i usuall have an hours nap after work ), 
     had some good live results when games start mid day etc, and when drink free !
      Run good, take care.