You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Vegas Semi- so close! I need a bit of help I recon

edited May 2017 in Poker Chat
HI Guys,
Nearly made it through to the vegas final again, 12th tonight, 10 got tickets to final ;(

I didn't play a hand for a long time when it was down to 15 players left, I was 8th or so and was delt rubbish hands or hands that I didn't feel comfortable playing.

I also had low pairs a few times when I was bb or when others had already raised, so it was a difficult decision weather to call, fold or rr.  I opted to fold each time, in hindsight it might have been better to rr, but 55, 33 and a5, a7 type hands are hands that I struggle with at that point in a multi table tourney when its down to the bubble.

I was watching the other table and many times the short stack won with th worst hand to stay in which also messed me up big time.
I would have gone through if they had lost at least 7-8 times so I was just hanging in there playing my time slow.

Can anyone help me to get passed the bubble stage of the semi? I have come 12th, 17th and lost with trips vs over set in my 3 semi's for vegas.

3 semi's close each time.  I know my game is not as good as a lot of the other players deep in the semi, any advice would be very much appreciated.
Is it good to play the time slow?
Should I play wider hands like I mentioned above more? I always seem to run in to better hands when I play weaker cards so I tend to fold more than shove or call.  

Not long left to qualify for vegas.  I really want to make it it happen.  It might just be that I am not good enough, what should I do to improve?

Thanks very much
merlin

Comments

• edited May 2017
    i sat with you today pratically all torn (of my torn) and i thought your early game was decent enough but like myself the middle part was lacking, there was lots of free chips we both could of took advatage but we did'nt, me i played to mch poker as from about 2pm was in atleast 1 game which affected me as needed a break and no just 5 mins.
    my own fualt.

for me tho mate middle part of torn needs looking at not the end part as once middle part is sorted, sat's are pretty easy due to having a decent stack, where as we was prodding waiting for a allin hand to hold.
  • edited May 2017
    Without seeing the bb hand histories, forget calling. Jam or fold as it sounds like we aren't deep enough to try and set mine and we don't want to be playing out of position when shallow with hands that flop bad.

Giving advice here is kind of hard as a lot of it is down to experience in knowing the best spots to go with. It does seem like you were a bit unlucky as people doubled up. With sats sometimes doing nothing is best! Let others knock themselves out and try and play ftw! Sometimes they will double and you end up in a bad spot.

One thing to think about is opponents calling ranges. Given their stack what hands do they want to be calling with? Based on this we can jam wide as they should call a small % of hands. (Be warned though, this doesn't mean they will call as they should!) Also, just because you jam into a good hand doesn't mean its not a good jam long term. Using this with your example about small pairs, you can jam say 55 and get folds v a lot of stuff we flip with and even get folds from some bigger pairs.

Best of luck in future sats, be great to see you in Vegas
  • edited May 2017
    Great advice from Matt.

These types of games can take a bit of getting used to and are very different from regular MTT's.

There are (or should be) more spots where we have greater fold equity than when compared to regular MTT's as players shouldn't be needlessly building stacks (although some do). There are no extra prizes for finishing 1st as opposed to 10th when 10 tickets are awarded so we 'should' have a lot of fold equity over, for example, players with relatively 'safe' stacks who have little to gain but a lot to lose.

I would say to pay very close attention to each opponent, get an idea of how often they are calling (and with what) and consider their stack size (and yours). Then try and figure out who you can apply pressure to and who you want to stay clear of. 

A little more aggression in these can be beneficial but it really has to be timed well and done in the correct spots which should come with practice.

Really unlucky last night fi33er, I thought you were going to make it when you doubled with AA.

We did have a very tricky table, there was a very strong player on my right and a quite aggressive loose cannon in another seat who made finding spots to pick up chips rather difficult.

It is a big positive for yourself that you are asking for pointers and reflecting on what you could do differently, many players do not do this and it can be quite key to continually improving.

The best of luck to you in future games, I will be rooting for you!

• edited May 2017
    Great advice from Matt. 

It might also be worthwhile checking out YouTube for satellite strategy videos, i'm pretty sure Doug Polk made a video on the subject recently.

Also check out your pms on sky later today, I'm going to send you a pm later.

• edited May 2017
    every time it folds round to u jam all in to steal the blinds this is pretty much a must tbh   especially if less then 15 bigs i get ya about middle stages tho i have trouble building stacks as your just looking at other tables tbh hope people bust but we can only play are hands if card dead then i think the 1st bit i said is the best way 
  • edited May 2017
    Awesome guys thanks very much for the top advice, I did win my first sat. today for the quarter final tonight, I will keep on trying! 

Thanks again and good luck ;)
  • edited May 2017
    out in the vegas quarter tonight in 4th place 3 got tickets to semi.  I had ak vs aq all in pf and he hit the q.

I always run so bad on here. I need a waaaaambulance.  
  • edited May 2017
     having bubbled both Vegas finals I've played maybe I'm not the best to give advice.

That being said nothing obviously wrong with what you've mentioned. As MattB mentioned a small pair can be used aggressively but definitely not worth calling a shove with.

Best place to look at your game is in the mid game. Maybe you became a bit cautious too early when there were chips for the asking. Always consider stealing chips in the mid game with a half decent hand against weak opponents.