You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

learning stuff

edited May 2017 in Poker Chat
Hello folks,

Some of you may know that my job involves coaching, predominantly golf, but I have also coached archers, footballers and businesses.  

I am intrigued by the different approaches employed and indeed the similarities that are present in all forms of learning.

I really enjoy finding out new things and the process in becoming better at any task, so here are some questions if folks wouldn't mind posting.

What activities do you take part in? (this could be anything from reading to training at the gym)

What, if any form of further education/learning do you take part in? 

Why do you do it?

What do you feel it achieves?

Do you do it yourself or with the help of coaches/trainers/friends?

And finally do you do the same with poker?

Comments

• edited May 2017
    I do boxercise which the first few weeks nearly killed me but now i love it.It was a big acheivment for me as last year i had a TIA which is similar to a stroke.Poker wise i tend to follow blogs etc or playing live improves your game.
  • edited May 2017
    Hi Jimi

Interesting topic! Here's my two penneth worth for starters, sorry but it's a mixture of sport and business.

As you know I play a little tennis now and again. I think it's similar to golf in that you can always strive to get better, no matter what age you are. Decent coaching can help tremendously in that. Nothing infuriates me more than players with fundamental flaws in their game who 'don't see the point of coaching'. I think they are simply scared of maybe taking a couple of steps backwards in order to improve in the long term. They would also lose the excuse of 'I've never had any lessons', which some seem to wear as a badge of pride. Worse still are those that do have lessons but don't listen! Can't be anything worse for a coach than spending time trying to improve someone's game and they simply won't put any of it into practice, or even try to. You must have had numerous clients where they don't even attempt to practice what you are telling them in between lessons.  

My other half has tennis lessons on a regular basis and I will often join in, just to get the expert's view of how I am playing and to maybe 'tweak' things. Over the years I have had quite a few injuries and have occasionally played left handed (I'm right handed), now that is a real challenge and a real case of going back to basics! One of my best tennis moments was playing and winning for our club men's third team left handed!  

Have you ever read the Inner Game of Tennis, by W Timothy Gallwey? Very interesting book about the conflict between the left and right hand side of the brain when playing competitively, first published over 40 years ago, it is still relevant today.

Further education? Well I did college and university many years ago and, to be honest, got bored of the subject in the end and haven't used it since. Then 5 years ago I had to get better qualified to continue to do my job (which I had been doing successfully for 20+ years). That essentially meant studying and exams again. Hated it and certainly wouldn't have done it by choice. The practice of learning details that change on a daily basis seems a complete waste of time to me, I need to know where to find the details obviously but passing exams with  a pass marks of 60% in some cases seemed a waste of time when, if you're advising clients, you need to be 100% correct. 60% right just gets you sued! 
    And finally do you do the same with poker? Not really, read a few books over the years and used to love channel 865 but alas it is no more. The better bits of this forum do however provide some real insight into how better players play and think about the game so that's a real plus.

Now, that's my tea break over, back to work!

Cheers

Paul

• edited May 2017
    Really interesting post IMO Paul :)

There are a couple of general approaches to learning such as the 'banking' system which sees some people as devoid of certain knowledge and suggests that these people need to be sat down and filled with knowledge which is dispelled from the all knowing teacher.

Then there are more fluid theories from the likes of Paulo Freire who think we are always learning in life, via whatever we happen to be doing. Freire also suggests that if the goal is to 'teach' someone then the best way is to come off any heirarchical pedestal and communicate with the 'student' on the same level.

Personally I feel that everyone is very different and therefore there isn't a single most effective approach. Some will learn better via a regimented regime and others will benefit from a more informal approach.

One really novel approach to educational learning was taken as A.S. Neil who founded the Summerhill School. In this school pupils chose what they wanted to do, instead of being told that they had to attend certain lessons. For example, if kids wanted to build a skateboard ramp then this was used as an opportunity to learn them maths, when they wanted to read books this was taken as an opportunity to learn then English, etc etc.

It is all possibly a bit contentious but, the school has stood the test of time.

Documentary here if anyone is interested... 
    Summerhill School

Some may find it boring but it is there for anyone interested :)

As to your specific questions...

What activities do you take part in? (this could be anything from reading to training at the gym)

Poker, Football, learning languages (poorly), studying psychology (finished now thankfully), atronomy and a few other bits n bobs. 

What, if any form of further education/learning do you take part in? 

As above, psychology BA. And previously an HNC in 'Working With Communities'.

Why do you do it?

I can be quite an inquisitive type of person and I would also say I have quite an 'addictive' and competitive personality. Anything I do I tend to take it to extremes and try to 'beat it'. In my early days this would result in throwing too much money in 'fruit machines' etc. I tried to find a way to focus this on more productive things though, and succeeded to an extent at least, when I focussed this behaviour on poker and further education.

What do you feel it achieves?

Apart from keeping myself on a more even keel and generally being more introspective, not a whole lot I guess. It will hopefully mean a more productive path in my longer term future and if I ever get into teaching may have a knock on effect on anyone I interact with as a result. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean much though.

Do you do it yourself or with the help of coaches/trainers/friends?

Depends on what I am learning.

And finally do you do the same with poker?

I try to apply the general things I know about my own learning style to learning poker. For example I learn more in a practical setting. I therefore try to 'learn on the job'. I also learn better via videos than books, therefore I watch a load of stuff on Youtube etc. 
  • edited May 2017
    Hey Jimi.

Liking this post. Hopefully it gets a good response :)

Here goes...

I really enjoy music, mainly metal/rock, but also some blues and classical. So I go to a fair number of gigs/festivals. I read a fair bit, not so much recently though. I love to cook, and lighter eves have given me an excuse to have Lots of bbqs with friends :). Recently bought an amazing mk1 Bandit 1200, so doing some light customisation at mo as well as Loving riding her. Bit of a gamer, blame my dad for that! Bikes too actually... 

Further education wise am currently studying within my job (support/care work), and plan to start training to become a counsellor. If not this yr then next.

Why?? Music makes me happy, live especially is just awesome. Reading used to be my escape, riding is a huuuuuge rush. Erm.... I'm a feeder? And i guess maybe deep down i may like to look after people........ Gaming I've been doing since pre school. Still remember my dads old Atari :) 

Why am i studying? I want to be as good at my job as i possibly can be. The more i know, the better i can support my clients. Its that simple. Counselling wise..... Its more complicated but the short version would be that I'm going to do it because i think I'll be good at it.

What does it achieve? Jeeeeeez Jimi! You can certainly ask a question.....

Answer... I can't swear here can i? Balls..... Lets just say I've not always been the me i am now. The job definitely brings out my good side, and the counselling may well do the same. I do seem to gravitate to the role of 'support'. I don't know exactly why..... Maybe its my therapy....

I have a tutor from the college there if i need help, and the support of my bosses...

Poker?? 

The approach to poker changes Every time i play.... Although i guess i have a tendancy to get bored and go do something more fun. May explain the blue air and leaving all tables that some nights end in.....

This post took ages to write.... hmph.. can i tell everyone the notts story now? (Joke... maybe....)

• edited May 2017
    hey guys n gals,

Great answers, I have just picked out little bits, so in no particular order.....
    I really need to get back to the gym, I used to swim for a team when i was younger and was actually pretty fit, now I get exercise walking to the fridge ;-)
    Gallway also wrote a book called 'Inner Game of Golf' to complement his original, it was the first book of its kind I ever read, its an interesting subject.
    We have a Rudolf Steiner school just round th ecorner which also has a unique way to encourage learning, similar in some ways to Summerhill. 
    I love music, I have huge respect for people who play/compose music and/or sing. I used to play a bit of bass guitar, tried singing once when our lead had a cold, once was enough to prove to me I was more suited to other things :-)

Please keep them coming, its really interesting to hear different influences for pastimes and the differing reasons for further learning (or not).

• edited May 2017
    I made a redunadancy induced career change a few years back, still not sure whether it was the right decision but like you I do enjoy learning new things and improving. I am curious about things in general and have a competitive nature which means I generally have to find some way of improving so I don't lose so much.

Professionally I have been a software engineer, estimator, business analyst, commercial officer, business deveopment manager, project manager and now I am an information security consultant.

Naturally I was best at languages, English and French, but I was ok at maths and physics and so that kind of led into a technical career.

I self taught the basics of computer programmeing then did an HND which was perfect for me because it was very practical and included a year in industry. That was also a problem as I found in my year out I was pretty good at it, holding my own with the team I was working with and earning money. I really didn't want to go back to education after that, I knew I could do the job well already and I quite liked earning money. I have never been one to learn something for the sake of it, it has to serve a real purpose and ideally give me pleasure doing it to keep me motivated. I failed the final year and had to resit it which was tough going. 

I took quite a few courses, especially as I changed functional roles and also found myself taking professional exams, the hardest part of which was having to write solidly for a couple of hours not learning the stuff.

The best boss I had was also a great coach, if I had an issue I felt I couldnt resolve he would talk it through and I would always ending up getting there myself without being spoonfed.

After redundancy I went to uni and did a post graduate course in cyber security. I have also taken some professional exams but I am learning most by doing. The technical stuff is easy, the running a business bit is blood.y hard though. I knew it would be but I guess it's like being a parent, nothing in the world can prepare you for how difficult it will be.

For sports/hobbies my first successful pastime was chess. I was taught the basics by my Dad, I learned more through books on general strategy, specific openings, played out games from the masters with analysis and recorded and reviewed my own games. I reached a decent standard as a junior, representing my county a couple of times and winning a few competitions.

Then came table tennis which I played from around 12 to my early twenties competitively. It is probably the one sport I received a lot of coaching in. If you have read bounce by matthew Syed (an former international table tennis player and now journalist) reaching the top levels is more about dedication, high level high volume practice and receiving good feedback to improve your game than it is inherent skill. I suppose I was moderate in skill and moderate-high in practice/being coached which meant I was able to represent my town team and win the odd trophy but nothing special.

I did play a bit of golf. Lessons were invaluable there but just as I felt I was starting to get to gripse with it I became an adult and a poor one and I pretty much gave it up apart from an occasional punt around a municipal course.

Latterly poker has been the biggest hobby. I do read books on it and quite a few when I first started, but I guess now it is more about reviewing what I do, ideally with a bit of peer feedback to improve. I also can get a bit stale, so I enjoyed a bit of new spark when I discovered PLO8. 

I am also trying to learn about sports betting and the horses in particular. Something I always thought would be impossible to make money at but I have made a modestly successful start this year albeit at very low stakes. As with poker it is not about chasing the big rewards, more about learning new skills and testing myself.

Good question, I feel I have rambled enough now though.

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: learning stuff:
    I do boxercise which the first few weeks nearly killed me but now i love it.It was a big acheivment for me as last year i had a TIA which is similar to a stroke.Poker wise i tend to follow blogs etc or playing live improves your game.
    Posted by razorkev
    Me too. Was nearly sick after first session but getting used to it now. A couple of my mates have gone on to that white collar boxing - went to watch em. Its a gr8 night out and all the money goes to charity
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: learning stuff : Me too. Was nearly sick after first session but getting used to it now. A couple of my mates have gone on to that white collar boxing - went to watch em. Its a gr8 night out and all the money goes to charity
    Posted by MP33
    Yeah my mates do this but for me its all about getting fit but its good all monies go to charity as i do a fair bit towards certain charities..Are you entering for the UWCB in june?
  • edited May 2017
    Great stuff Phants and MP,

I remember one specific part in bounce where they measured Desmond Douglases reaction time (he was known for standing very close to the table and taking balls early), they assumed he would be fantastic and it was terrible, I think this is a great point about skill aquisition and transfer (ie his reactions were down to prediction and experience more than an innate ability- taken from his normal enviroment the 'reactions' were poor)
    I know some fantastic tennis players and cricketers who are awful at golf (did you know Jac played for Derbyshire as a lad....coincidence obviously as he is fantastic at golf).
    Another good example are darts players who can barely count, yet can tell you the exact order of singles, doubles and trebles for a check out in seconds.

I reckon some of the some forum issues could be sorted out, with that White Collar Boxing MP33 ;-)

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: learning stuff : Yeah my mates do this but for me its all about getting fit but its good all monies go to charity as i do a fair bit towards certain charities..Are you entering for the UWCB in june?
    Posted by razorkev
    Nah - I have contemplated it and if i were a few years younger and didn,t smoke i,d certainly give it a go, but just happy to stick to my boxcersise once a week. I also do football, badmington, swimming and gym at least once a week as well and really enjoy them.. Its 8 weeks intensive training for white collar fights. Think my next mission is to get into running as i,ve tried the treadmill a few times , but i,m finding that the toughest thing to get into. Reading Dohhh,s diary certainly helps tho
  • edited May 2017
    Great stuff Phants and MP, I remember one specific part in bounce where they measured Desmond Douglases reaction time (he was known for standing very close to the table and taking balls early), they assumed he would be fantastic and it was terrible, I think this is a great point about skill aquisition and transfer (ie his reactions were down to prediction and experience more than an innate ability- taken from his normal enviroment the 'reactions' were poor) I know some fantastic tennis players and cricketers who are awful at golf (did you know Jac played for Derbyshire as a lad....coincidence obviously as he is fantastic at golf). Another good example are darts players who can barely count, yet can tell you the exact order of singles, doubles and trebles for a check out in seconds. I reckon some of the some forum issues could be sorted out, with that White Collar Boxing MP33 ;-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    lol - I have read some of that stuff but just stayed out of it. Theres enough negativity where i volunteer at, but these ppl have serious life issues, and undertsnad why they see things so negative. It all seems pretty trivial when you come home and read the stuff thats been said on here. Seems to me its a very small percentage of ppl on here with some different views and opinions.It happens. I,m sure if they crossed paths in real life they,d probably get on fine 

EDIT : Going back to the learning stuff. I find the best way to learn anything is by actually doing it. The only time i ever learn extra poker stuff is if i,m on a bad downswing which i know isn,t the correct way but i only really play for fun (or to switch off) now anyway. I might set myself a challenge tho - to read a book. I got Chris Moormans book, shortly after seeing him on Sky TV and watching hime crush a big tourney the following night (Think it was about 2 years ago) . I still haven,t started it :(