You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is our money safe?

edited May 2017 in Poker Chat
With another poker site going down,and players losing their money/bankroll.

My question is ,is the money we deposit on sky poker ringfenced/held in a separate account and gtd safe for us? 

Comments

• edited May 2017
    I would feel more secure on Sky than almost any other online gaming site.

Sky is a pretty huge company and I am sure they wouldn't be looking to tarnish the Sky brand by diddling some customers on an online poker site.
  • edited May 2017
    +1 Marky.

We're in good hands.

https://support.skypoker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42/~/licensing-and-regulation

Here is an extract.

Funds exceeding the value of active customer balances are held in a specific bank account separated from the company’s other operating bank accounts to ensure that there are always sufficient funds available for customers to withdraw their balances, even in the highly unlikely event of the insolvency of the Sky Betting and Gaming group. Our bank has acknowledged in writing that our customer funds are held in a separate account for this purpose and will not be subject to any bank set off or counterclaims in respect of any company bank liabilities. This means that steps have been taken to protect customer funds but that there is no absolute guarantee that all funds will be repaid. These accounts are proactively monitored and reconciled by our Finance department and are audited by independent internal and external audit teams.

• edited May 2017
    As long as you stay away from spin up cash, it's safe.
  • edited May 2017

We need to use our words carefully here, as PKR held their player funds in a segregated, ring-fenced account, but that does not necessarily mean player balances will be repaid, & in the case of PKR it certainly looks doubtful.

The quote by "mumsie" is the actual position here.

Your best insurance here is to use basic common-sense.

PKR;

a) Were in serious decline for many years.

b) Had no other significant strings to it's bow beyond poker. So if the poker site was going badly, that's it, it had no other meaningful income streams to offset those losses.

c) Joined a Network which was and is in terminal decline, & on which all participating sites give the impression of being in equally serious decline. There are no successful sites on that Network.

It's also worth bearing in mind that all players on Sky Poker have the option of withdrawing their deposits after every session, & enjoying one of, if not the, fastest withdrawal methods of any poker site.

Sky Poker is part of Sky Betting & Gaming, which is the fastest growing Online Gaming Site in Europe & extremely profitable. It is a huge company these days, & Poker is a relatively small but important part of it. I think there are many things in life and poker you can & should worry about, but the viability & financial footing of SB&G is not one of them.
  • edited May 2017
    Wouldn't say they are more safe than other sites,just checked their t&c they have medium protection for players funds ,the gambling commission have 3 levels of fund protection,basic medium and high,some poker sites have the high protection.
  • edited May 2017
    Don't think for a moment that sky would go bust,but since reading about pkr I've been looking at other sites,and was surprised how many only have basic protection level,which means if they go but you lose your cash.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Is our money safe?:
    Wouldn't say they are more safe than other sites,just checked their t&c they have medium protection for players funds ,the gambling commission have 3 levels of fund protection,basic medium and high,some poker sites have the high protection.
    Posted by TheMadMonk

I would.

Say a site is super duper protected and has 10 gold stars from the gambling commission. They have player funds nice and separate from their other funds (Lets say £50 million). They go bust and owe £50 million. Who is first in line to get the £50 million? The players or the other people that are owed money by the site? Such as a bank? This is very much in dispute as far as I am aware.

Now say Sky poker is going down the toilet. Say they have low level protection via the gambling commission... Pretend it is no longer a viable entity and is losing money left, right and centre and owes players and creditors £50 million each. Do you think the huge Sky brand is going to pay anyone that is owed and make sure their multi billion £ industry is not cast in a bad light or put it all at risk to stiff a few players?

Sky has diverse interests, many other sites do not.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Is our money safe? : I would. Say a site is super duper protected and has 10 gold stars from the gambling commission. They have player funds nice and separate from their other funds (Lets say £50 million). They go bust and owe £50 million. Who is first in line to get the £50 million? The players or the other people that are owed money by the site? Such as a bank? This is very much in dispute as far as I am aware. Now say Sky poker is going down the toilet. Say they have low level protection via the gambling commission... Pretend it is no longer a viable entity and is losing money left, right and centre and owes players and creditors £50 million each. Do you think the huge Sky brand is going to pay anyone that is owed and make sure their multi billion £ industry is not cast in a bad light or put it all at risk to stiff a few players? Sky has diverse interests, many other sites do not.
    Posted by markycash
    This Highlighted above , end of Conversation , nothing to see hear move on .
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Is our money safe? : I would. Say a site is super duper protected and has 10 gold stars from the gambling commission. They have player funds nice and separate from their other funds (Lets say £50 million). They go bust and owe £50 million. Who is first in line to get the £50 million? The players or the other people that are owed money by the site? Such as a bank? This is very much in dispute as far as I am aware. Now say Sky poker is going down the toilet. Say they have low level protection via the gambling commission... Pretend it is no longer a viable entity and is losing money left, right and centre and owes players and creditors £50 million each. Do you think the huge Sky brand is going to pay anyone that is owed and make sure their multi billion £ industry is not cast in a bad light or put it all at risk to stiff a few players? Sky has diverse interests, many other sites do not.
    Posted by markycash
    Your post seems to ignore the sale of sky betting and gaming to CVC Capital Partners, Sky plc only have a minority (20% I believe) stake in sky betting and gaming now.

I am not saying there should be concerns over our funds though.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Is our money safe? : Your post seems to ignore the sale of sky betting and gaming to CVC Capital Partners, Sky plc only have a minority (20% I believe) stake in sky betting and gaming now. I am not saying there should be concerns over our funds though.
    Posted by MattBates
    Sky still have a stake in SB&G though and the site still uses the Sky brand. I don't think Sky would be having the brand tarnished over the amount of money that would likely be involved.
  • edited May 2017
    Anyone who thinks there is not a risk you could have your money lost IF the company was to go south is naive. 

Anyone thinking sky is looking that was is also Naive.

Money in peoples own bank accounts could potentially be at risk. Whether be busto banks or cyber attacks. There is an element of risk in all we do but to let that risk consume you is a totally different thing.

I would say safe here vs PKR. Did people loose roll when black belt went under? Pretty sure is totslly site and circumstances dependant. 
  • edited May 2017
    Anyone who thinks there is not a risk you could have your money lost IF the company was to go south is naive.  Anyone thinking sky is looking that was is also Naive. Money in peoples own bank accounts could potentially be at risk. Whether be busto banks or cyber attacks. There is an element of risk in all we do but to let that risk consume you is a totally different thing. I would say safe here vs PKR. Did people loose roll when black belt went under? Pretty sure is totslly site and circumstances dependant. 
    Posted by Nuggy962
    With respect, there is a world of difference between a poker "account" and a bank account. For the latter, most people's first £85,000 is guaranteed under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

The Gambling Commission (and its predecessor) have been (imho) pathetic in this regard. Companies in the betting sector have been allowed to make their services sound like bank accounts, when they are no such thing. In addition, they have previously sat on their hands while Busto Companies have sold "their" client details to other companies. I see PKR's Administrators are already proposing to do this.

Site/circumstances dependant?-yes. If a responsible Company chooses to cease trading at the right time, and act responsibly, people normally get paid. I'm sure Black Belt was an example of this. When operators trade past that point any remaining assets tend to be spent on Acoountancy advice rather than the Creditors. Segregating player accounts is meaningless unless punters are in some way Priority Creditors.

Do not keep money you cannot afford to lose in poker operators hands-make regular withdrawals to a proper bank account.
  • edited May 2017
    Is there a site that lists all the different poker sites levels of protection out there??
  • ommomm
    edited May 2017
    Posted by TheMadMonk

Personally I don't think it matters what people opinions on this matter are. The key point is in this post by Monk and the point about the 3 levels of protection. I've nicked the following from a thread next door, my question would be why on earth would ever company not be required to have a high level of protection as standard? Regardless, EssexPhil's advice is best, I keep the majority of my funds in a separate bank account and use PayPay for super fast withdrawals from most sites.

• ommomm
    edited May 2017

Basic
    No extra protection. Money in these accounts would still be seen as part of the business if it went bust.

Medium
    There are arrangements (eg insurance) to make sure that the money in separate accounts is given to customers if the company goes bust.

High
    Customers’ money is held in an account which is legally and in practice separate from the rest of the company. This account is controlled by an independent person or external auditor.

Didn't know this so checked what the T&Cs said for a few sites:

PokerStars - High
    Ladbrokes - Medium
    Bet365 - Medium
    888 - Medium
    PartyPoker - Basic
    Stan James - Basic
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Is our money safe? : With respect, there is a world of difference between a poker "account" and a bank account. For the latter, most people's first £85,000 is guaranteed under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. The Gambling Commission (and its predecessor) have been (imho) pathetic in this regard. Companies in the betting sector have been allowed to make their services sound like bank accounts, when they are no such thing. In addition, they have previously sat on their hands while Busto Companies have sold "their" client details to other companies. I see PKR's Administrators are already proposing to do this. Site/circumstances dependant?-yes. If a responsible Company chooses to cease trading at the right time, and act responsibly, people normally get paid. I'm sure Black Belt was an example of this. When operators trade past that point any remaining assets tend to be spent on Acoountancy advice rather than the Creditors. Segregating player accounts is meaningless unless punters are in some way Priority Creditors. Do not keep money you cannot afford to lose in poker operators hands-make regular withdrawals to a proper bank account.
    Posted by Essexphil
    100% agree with the highlighted part.

And as Neil Channing may not be amongst the half dozen who it is claimed read this thread (subject to audit), I can tell you that yes, Black Belt was closed down properly, & repaid all player balances & met all it's financial obligations. Black Belt Poker was actually a "skin" of Boyle Poker Room, & Boyle handled the "cage" for Black Belt.

• edited May 2017
    As Essexphil has alluded to:

no money held at a poker site can be regarded as safe. Prior to selling out to private equity sky was probably the safest but that can no longer be assumed.

Money at a regulated bank is safe up to a level way beyond most poker bankrolls.

So withdraw any funds you cannot afford to lose on a regular basis and redeposit as and when necessary if you have to.