You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Theory and Analytics course - Open Source videos and other resources

edited May 2017 in Poker Chat
I have seen a few comments about the forum being in decline etc. Personally I really like the forum but whatever your opinion...

Maybe if we try and start a few more interesting threads it can prompt better general discussion.

In that vein, I am posting this MIT 'Poker Theory and Analytics' course by Kevin Desmond. I am using a spell when I have more time to spend on poker to brush up on the basics and then consider some more advanced topics. Not sure if anyone has watched this before or whether they found it useful or not. Thought it would be a decent starting point for myself though.

If anyone else wants to watch any of it and maybe discuss some of the content here maybe it could be helpful to all concerned.

This is 'Open Course Ware' so is out there in the public domain for anyone to view.

It all starts off very basic so depending on the level you are at you may want to skip to lecture 2 or 3.

Links
Youtube link to first lecture (can easily find links to the subsequent lectures from that page)...
YouTube link to 'Poker Theory & Analytics' - lecture 1 

Link to the actual course on the MIT site with access to other related resources is avaliable here.

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Might give this a watch on probably Thursday when I've got a bit of time, although some of the criticism in the YouTube comments worries me as to whether the guy really knows his stuff.

Do we know if the lecturer has any kind of Poker background? Also, how does the lecturers' approach differ from that of say a coaching vid where a Poker Pro/Coach talks through their thought process?
  • edited May 2017
    I watched 10 minutes. It's worth another gander.

Thanks for posting.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Poker Theory and Analytics course - Open Source videos and other resources:
    Might give this a watch on probably Thursday when I've got a bit of time, although some of the criticism in the YouTube comments worries me as to whether the guy really knows his stuff. Do we know if the lecturer has any kind of Poker background? Also, how does the lecturers' approach differ from that of say a coaching vid where a Poker Pro/Coach talks through their thought process?
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Valid points. I haven't watched all of the videos yet but so far so good after the 3rd video.

I actually chose to watch these as I thought the content would have been scrutinised more compared to the average stuff you may find online as they were part of an MIT course.

Time will tell and the proof will be in the pudding.

The lecturer seems knowledgeable thus far. He apparently has some form of poker background although is more known for his knowledge of the finance industry. He suggests that poker and finance are basically the same thing as they are about evaluating risk.

There are also guest appearances from poker pros such as Bill Chen.

More info on the course is available 
    here.

• edited May 2017
    Sounds interesting.
    Thanks for the links
  • edited May 2017
    Not to be cruel, but these are the actual words he says (took me ages to transcribe) at one point during the talk:

“So you’ll hear people talk about like ‘Oh I had ten big blinds’ or fifteen big blinds or whatever to talk about their chip stack but that has the fundamental problem of...um...it...it has a lot of different problems. One is it doesn’t, um, it doesn’t tell the story of...so blinds - so the usual blind levels are one/two or two/four where the big blind is just twice the small blind...so that’s just like the assumption. But if you’re at a blind level that’s at, like, one/three and then like..or three/five the number of big blinds you have is not indicative of...of...anything. It’s not indicative of, like, how many hands you can see or how much you care about winning a pot pre flop. So using big blinds is bad. In addition to, once you start having like..if you’re fifty/a hundred blinds and you have an ante of, like twenty-five, like you, like, have basically half the stack that you had before in realistic terms.”

Well, quite. I remember looking at this a few months ago and being far from blown away but trust your judgement and will give it another go. Thanks for the link.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Poker Theory and Analytics course - Open Source videos and other resources:
     Well, quite. I remember looking at this a few months ago and being far from blown away but trust your judgement and will give it another go. Thanks for the link.
    Posted by SR23
    I am definitely not endorsing it, at least not yet until I have watched it. 

It looked 'interesting' so thought I would post the links here in the hope others may watch and discuss it too and hopefully we can get some decent chat going :)

That discussion could well look like... "Wow, that is some bad advice, it would be better to do x, y or z".

I watched the intro, skipped lecture 2 and watched lecture 3. I found lecture 3 could be very valuable to anyone who is not considering their pot odds properly. It doesn't consider everything but seemed decent.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Poker Theory and Analytics course - Open Source videos and other resources : I am definitely not endorsing it, at least not yet until I have watched it.  It looked 'interesting' so thought I would post the links here in the hope others may watch and discuss it too and hopefully we can get some decent chat going :) That discussion could well look like... "Wow, that is some bad advice, it would be better to do x, y or z". I watched the intro, skipped lecture 2 and watched lecture 3. I found lecture 3 could be very valuable to anyone who is not considering their pot odds properly. It doesn't consider everything but seemed decent.
    Posted by markycash
    Agreed. 

I'm a huge fan  of open/free online educational tools, resources, lectures and whatever else but was a little surprised at the general shabbiness of some of the content and production especially as it was MIT-endorsed (?). But I'll watch some more - maybe it'll pick up. 

Thanks again for linking/posting, dude. 
  • edited May 2017
    Thanks for the link - definitely think these sorts of threads are ideal for the forum and I am looking forward to having a watch of this series.
  • edited May 2017
    Thanks for the link Mark, I watched it but most of it went over my head tbh   but it did lead me to another poker instructional video which was just great for me, that lead me to another and so on, learnt so much in just 24 hours, he he....
    I didn't have the same luck with my AA though as he did, he won verses JJ.. I lost verses 666 ha ha, those are the breaks :(