You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Forum bickering in general

edited May 2017 in Poker Chat
I am just writing this as someone who reads the bickering that goes on now and again and have seen this on so many forums over the years.

I get that disagreements do happen from time to time. I appreciate we are not all robots, and relatively speaking I don't think any bickering on the forum has been 'all that bad'.

It is undisputable that there has been a reasonable amount of bickering on the forum of late though.

Now it is just my opinion and 'nobody died and made me chief' and as such you can take this with whatever degree of salt you wish. However I would just suggest that people using the forum to bicker like this bare a couple of things in mind.

Sky do not need to have this forum. Plenty sites operate without a forum. If the forum has a lot of negativity and becomes a pain in the backside for Sky to deal with then it only takes one of the suits at Sky Towers to say "you know what, that forum is a needless hassle, should we just close it?". I mean they have been prepared to close the TV channel down and I have seen other forums being closed.

Obviously in that scenario we all lose out and there are no more little forum comps, no people from Sky interacting so directly with us and sorting any problems out, a sense of community is lost, etc etc.

Apart from that, the forum readers who couldn't care less about the disputes end up reading it, it lowers the tone of the forum and dilutes the enjoyment for many which means less people use the forum and it becomes a less viable entity.

Apart from all that there are less things that divides us than we have in common as a community. We are all poker players, we on the whole enjoy talking over poker stuff and having a bit of banter with other players who are battering the tables in search of entertainment while endeavouring to make a few quid.

A lot of people would miss this forum way more than they realise if it were not here.

I was severely P'd off at something a player done to me at the tables the other day but I let it slide and moved on. If you consider some of the horrible things happening in the world, the sad loss of some forum members and the hassles we all have to deal with in life. It should put any trivial disputes firmly into perspective.

Again, feel free to disregard this if you want. Just my personal observations but IMO we have something special here and it would be a shame to lose it.

Comments

• edited May 2017
    +1

Let's not forget there are a lot of positives on the forum at the moment too, not least by your good self.

I don't always make the time to respond to the threads I enjoy reading (which I guess we are all guilty of) and if we could just acknowledge a writer we enjoy reading every once in a while, that will help encourage them to keep posting and hopefully others to start.

• edited May 2017
    Having played on most poker sites out there (use a different sn on most others before you check :P ) I would strongly urge nay-sayers to take a week (just a week will do) and try playing exclusively on a different site.

Then enjoy the delights that are:
    -Having your account hacked and roll stolen then being told by support to F off and being banned from the site unless YOU write a letter of apology saying it was YOUR fault (genuine true story - one of the big 3 sites as well)
    -Playing against bots - imagine how much fun that is... and how much they chat back on tables (never). Seriously bad for the games and a major problem. For people who complain about lack of HUDs on Sky, it's the HUD that allows people to make bots, so...
    -Playing mostly against people who are only there to grind out a slow profit day in day out, and 0% for fun, and only use chat box for sarcastic "ty" etc
    -Field sizes so big that you can go 1000s of games without a decent cash
    -Support taking up to 6 months to fix issues that get resolved in days on Sky 
    -Being told by support that they will email you a response in 48hrs, which when it arrives is just another message saying will respond in 48hrs, etc, etc, ad infinitum
    -Timebanks... Played a different site this morning. Was dull. Playing against 8 regs taking 20secs+ on each decision is very painful and allows people to just multitable nit everything, which again is boring for people who want to have a friendly game for enjoyment. Also, no timebanks naturally makes the structures better/more deep-stacked here as you get more hands in per level.

Sky is genuinely the friendliest, most fun place to play poker online imo and the forum is a HUGE part of that. Maybe also try two plus two for a week? Not hating against 2p2 as there are lots of good things but casual questions are far more likely to get flamed/trolled there.

Also at the end of the day, given you're even posting on the forum, that assumes that you have access to the internet, a computer/tablet/mobile, and some sort of funds to play a game with... what percentage of wealthiest people in the world does that instantly put you into..?

Back to having fun playing a game we enjoy, guys :)

Love <3
  • edited May 2017
    well said mark
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Forum bickering in general:
    Having played on most poker sites out there (use a different sn on most others before you check :P ) I would strongly urge nay-sayers to take a week (just a week will do) and try playing exclusively on a different site. Then enjoy the delights that are: -Having your account hacked and roll stolen then being told by support to F off and being banned from the site unless YOU write a letter of apology saying it was YOUR fault (genuine true story - one of the big 3 sites as well) -Playing against bots - imagine how much fun that is... and how much they chat back on tables (never). Seriously bad for the games and a major problem. For people who complain about lack of HUDs on Sky, it's the HUD that allows people to make bots, so... -Playing mostly against people who are only there to grind out a slow profit day in day out, and 0% for fun, and only use chat box for sarcastic "ty" etc -Field sizes so big that you can go 1000s of games without a decent cash -Support taking up to 6 months to fix issues that get resolved in days on Sky  -Being told by support that they will email you a response in 48hrs, which when it arrives is just another message saying will respond in 48hrs, etc, etc, ad infinitum -Timebanks... Played a different site this morning. Was dull. Playing against 8 regs taking 20secs+ on each decision is very painful and allows people to just multitable nit everything, which again is boring for people who want to have a friendly game for enjoyment. Also, no timebanks naturally makes the structures better/more deep-stacked here as you get more hands in per level. Sky is genuinely the friendliest, most fun place to play poker online imo and the forum is a HUGE part of that. Maybe also try two plus two for a week? Not hating against 2p2 as there are lots of good things but casual questions are far more likely to get flamed/trolled there. Also at the end of the day, given you're even posting on the forum, that assumes that you have access to the internet, a computer/tablet/mobile, and some sort of funds to play a game with... what percentage of wealthiest people in the world does that instantly put you into..? Back to having fun playing a game we enjoy, guys :) Love <3
    Posted by Angmar2626

Big +1 to this.

Let's not forget that a forum is a platform to discuss and debate, have some fun, make friends etc etc....the very nature of that beast is that sometimes people will fall out, and grudges will be sometimes held (guilty).

Just because the common theme of poker brings us all here for the same reason, doesn't mean everything will be continuously harmonious and everyone will always get along.

If anything, a bit of bickering makes this place more human. Do we really just want everyone to nod and agree with everyone else? In an ideal world there would be no falling out, but we don't live in an ideal world.

Obviously there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, and it's very rare to see anything posted that is really beyond the pale. In the 4 years or so of being here I can only think of a couple of occasions where I've seen something posted that is just outright wrong or bad (I'm not including 'ramblings of an old man' in that)

I frequent a Man City forum, and you should see some of the fallouts there!
  • edited May 2017
    Good post Mark and Angmar.

I do like Sky because you feel you have a voice and that they listen and it means a lot to me.

However I found that reading things on the forum were annoying me (basically bickering and negativity) and I was disliking some people (who i didnt even know!)
    So I just stopped reading the forum apart from the occasional post from people whose contribution I feel give some value.

Yes people disagree and we are not all yes men, but it becomes tiresome when I see posts from some people that are almost 100% bickering or negative. I'm glad you have pointed this out Mark and maybe these people will think twice about how they are coming accross and that they could be the death of the forum if they continue.

Ger
  • edited May 2017
    Pretty much agree in general Harry, although...

The majority of people who have disagreements would get on just fine if they wound up on a live package together. It is easy to not afford people the same leeway when we encounter them online as we would in real life. Pretty sure I will have been guilty of this myself at times.

Just saying therefore that it would be nice if we all cut each other a little more slack at times. Sure even then disagreements will crop up as I mentioned in the OP. We are human at the end of the day.
  • edited May 2017
    The majority of people who have disagreements would get on just fine if they wound up on a live package together
    Posted by markycash

Can't argue with that :)

• edited May 2017
    Good evening everyone.
    Has anyone mentioned the £2.20 @2.15 deepstack yet.
    All the best.
    Rainman215.
  • edited May 2017
    Bickering is "Good" ........ it means you care,  have something to say and not afraid to say it .

Right or Wrong is for the majority to decide but peoples views are what they believe and they stand by them.

Said before........ the forum will only close for financial reasons not "Bickering" just like TV.
  • edited May 2017
    Pretty much agree in general Harry, although... The majority of people who have disagreements would get on just fine if they wound up on a live package together. It is easy to not afford people the same leeway when we encounter them online as we would in real life. Pretty sure I will have been guilty of this myself at times. Just saying therefore that it would be nice if we all cut each other a little more slack at times. Sure even then disagreements will crop up as I mentioned in the OP. We are human at the end of the day.
    Posted by markycash

WD Mark great thread bud .

Denis
  • edited May 2017
    Bickering is "Good" ........ it means you care,  have something to say and not afraid to say it . Right or Wrong is for the majority to decide but peoples views are what they believe and they stand by them. Said before........ the forum will only close for financial reasons not "Bickering" just like TV.
    Posted by goldon
    There are any number of different things which could imperil the future of this forum, including inappropriate use, trolling, racism, using it at as a complaints desk (including complaining on here about Sky Bet, or Sky Vegas), excessive & unreasonable complaints about Customer Care, & so on. 

However, everyone may rest assured on one thing - this forum will never close for financial reasons.

Essentially, it is up to the players, not Sky Poker. If the players use it properly, it will never close. 

It's up to the players to make it a successful, thriving, forum, as well as The Business.  
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Forum bickering in general : There are any number of different things which could imperil the future of this forum, including inappropriate use, trolling, racism, using it at as a complaints desk (including complaining on here about Sky Bet, or Sky Vegas), excessive & unreasonable complaints about Customer Care, & so on.  However, everyone may rest assured on one thing - this forum will never close for financial reasons. Essentially, it is up to the players, not Sky Poker. If the players use it properly, it will never close.  It's up to the players to make it a successful, thriving, forum, as well as The Business.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Wise Old Owl once told this Eagle Eye ......... Never say Never.

• edited May 2017
    Great post Marky , you summed up nicely.

I personally like a touch of bickering, there can often be underlying humour .

I work with people at work who never seem to know when their leg is being pulled.

Others who home in on the slightest negativity where none exists. 

Then, when you point out there is nothing negative here, they insist they see it. 

Always look for the good.

anyway , Im off out, maybe to Runnymead with my Daughter.

Have a great bank holiday .

• edited May 2017
    Great post Marky , you summed up nicely. I personally like a touch of bickering, there can often be underlying humour . I work with people at work who never seem to know when their leg is being pulled. Others who home in on the slightest negativity where none exists.  Then, when you point out there is nothing negative here, they insist they see it.  Always look for the good. anyway , Im off out, maybe to Runnymead with my Daughter. Have a great bank holiday .
    Posted by mumsie

no kidding ;-). 

• edited May 2017
    Thanks for the positive replies folks!

Don't get my wrong, I love a good debate. I remember once at college I caused myself and a lecturer to miss our lunch as I got into a debate with them. I think there can be a fine line between debate and bickering though. The bickering doesn't even bother me personally very much to be honest, I just move on and read something else. However loads of comments on the forum recently suggest it does bother a lot of people and then makes them less likely to post on the forum.

Certainly much more good on this forum than bad IMO.

Have nice bank holiday all and good luck for Super Sunday (unless you are in a pot with me). I definitely want to use my one time up for both the VLV sattys on Sunday (does that still count as one time?).
  • edited May 2017
    Thanks for the positive replies folks! Don't get my wrong, I love a good debate. I remember once at college I caused myself and a lecturer to miss our lunch as I got into a debate with them. I think there can be a fine line between debate and bickering though. The bickering doesn't even bother me personally very much to be honest, I just move on and read something else. However loads of comments on the forum recently suggest it does bother a lot of people and then makes them less likely to post on the forum. Certainly much more good on this forum than bad IMO. Have nice bank holiday all and good luck for Super Sunday (unless you are in a pot with me). I definitely want to use my one time up for both the VLV sattys on Sunday (does that still count as one time?).
    Posted by markycash

Maybe we look at different threads but I certainly don't recall ''loads of comments'' or it ''bothering a lot of people''.

Gl this weekend!

+1 to Mumsie's post, nail on head.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Forum bickering in general : Maybe we look at different threads but I certainly don't recall ''loads of comments'' or it ''bothering a lot of people''. Gl this weekend! +1 to Mumsie's post, nail on head.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I could list them Harry although would prefer not to... I am saddo who has read almost every post on here for the last couple of months lol. Not that anyone has been going crazy about it or anything but there have been quite a lot of comments about 'the forum being in decline' and 'lots of negativity' etc etc.

Hope you don't think I am having a pop at you Harry because I am certainly not. Thoroughly enjoying your thread on Vegas, flights and other shenanigans!
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Forum bickering in general : I could list them Harry although would prefer not to... I am saddo who has read almost every post on here for the last couple of months lol. Not that anyone has been going crazy about it or anything but there have been quite a lot of comments about 'the forum being in decline' and 'lots of negativity' etc etc. Hope you don't think I am having a pop at you Harry because I am certainly not! Thogoughly enjoying your threads on Vegas, flights and other shenanigans!
    Posted by markycash

I am also a saddo and read nearly all threads on here. So in the context of what must be many hundreds, if not a few thousand, posts in the last couple of months, I can probably count on both my hands the ones that have been lamenting the forum. It has to be comfortably under 1% of posts (probably comfortably under 0.01% tbh), which to me really isn't a lot, in fact its hardly anything and its inevitable you'll get a few grumbles every now and then anyway.

I've not taken anything personally by the way. I know when people are and aren't taking a pop at me, right gerardirl? ;)

BTW, the irony of bickering on a thread about bickering isn't lost on me.

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Forum bickering in general : I am also a saddo and read nearly all threads on here. So in the context of what must be many hundreds, if not a few thousand, posts in the last couple of months, I can probably count on both my hands the ones that have been lamenting the forum. It has to be comfortably under 1% of posts (probably comfortably under 0.01% tbh), which to me really isn't a lot, in fact its hardly anything and its inevitable you'll get a few grumbles every now and then anyway. I've not taken anything personally by the way. I know when people are and aren't taking a pop at me, right gerardirl? ;)BTW, the irony of bickering on a thread about bickering isn't lost on me.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Well in the spirit of not bickering... we can agree to disagree and move on :D

I do realise this place is extremely friendly, to put it mildly, compared to some forums out there! I just disagree with your numbers posted but we can disagree on that. I don't want to bring specific examples up because that does make it look like I am having a pop at certain people and that isn't the intention.
  • edited May 2017
    Maybe this should become a stickied bickering thread?

Then people can jump in and out as they please, grab some popcorn, cheer for their friends etc, all confined neatly in a single thread.

• edited May 2017
    Is'nt it nice we're all getting along.  No Bickering.!

Our minds have been set at rest,  there will be no Forum Closure unless the Forum users say so. Mm!
  • edited May 2017
    Bickering is "Good" ........ it means you care,  have something to say and not afraid to say it . Right or Wrong is for the majority to decide but peoples views are what they believe and they stand by them. Said before........ the forum will only close for financial reasons not "Bickering" just like TV.
    Posted by goldon
    Amen
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Forum bickering in general : Amen
    Posted by Durtyass

Pea's in a pod ....... u durtyass ....... me cleverass.   Hallelujah
  • edited May 2017
    Good evening everyone. Has anyone mentioned the £2.20 @2.15 deepstack yet. All the best. Rainman215.
    Posted by rainman215
    i won the deepie m8
  • edited May 2017
    wd reeler wp gg & gl with your challenge
  • edited May 2017
    wd reeler wp gg & gl with your challenge
    Posted by TENTENTEN
    yeah gonna post an update soon m8
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Forum bickering in general : i won the deepie m8
    Posted by reeler
    Good evening Reeler.
    Well done on winning the £2.20 @2.15 deepstack, good luck in your quest.
    All the best.
    Rainman215.
    P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.15 DEEPSTACK YET.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Forum bickering in general : no kidding ;-). 
    Posted by HENDRIK62

Right, thats it, im posting in the quitting thread.