You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

More WSOP waffle. Oh no, no Nolan

edited June 2017 in Poker Chat

Ever since the WSOP moved across to The Rio, & the Amazon Room became the hub of all things WSOP, there has been one constant.

Just inside the entrance to the Amazon Room, at the very end of the Rio Corridor, there is a sort of wooden dias. Sitting atop that dias, symbolically guarding the entrance to the WSOP was a black suited, grey bearded chap by the name of Nolan Dalla.

He was always there. Always. But now he is not there, having moved on. It's very sad.

His job with the WSOP was to write Content. It is such a rare treat to read beautifully written stuff, so very few people have that skill. Jen Mason is a supremely gifted writer, ditto Rich Prew, as is Mr Ambo. In fact Mr Ambo's writing is doubly impressive due to it's rarity value.

Mr Dalla was, arguably, the best, a truly beautifully descriptive writer. He came in for a little flak in 2016, but I'm not interested. I'm just in awe of him as a writer.

This man could write a knitting pattern & make it interesting. 

He has written a blog for many years, & he added articles almost daily. 

Here's a link to his blog. (Mods, don't worry, it is 100% non-commercial).

http://www.nolandalla.com/

Comments

• edited June 2017

In fact, let me show you just how good a writer Nolan is.

Have you EVER read an interesting Restaurant Review? No, of course you have not. There is no such thing.

Well take a read of this beauty by Nolan Dalla, reviewing a Las Vegas restaurant many of you on Sky Poker are familiar with......

http://www.nolandalla.com/tag/restaurant-reviews/

All you have to do is read the first sentence. After that, you'll be hooked. I promise.
  • edited June 2017

There were no less than 6 (SIX) opening flights to the 2017 WSOP Colossus.

The final total of entries totted up to some 18,000, which is 16% down on last year.

Is that a sign of the times, should we be worried, or maybe, just like Sky Poker (allegedly) they did not "give it any thought"?

Well I have no idea. To me, though, the whole logic of multiple opening flights over 3 days (2 per day) is a bit much for a $565 MTT.

KISS works for me. Keep it simple, & it'll be just fine.
  • edited June 2017
    brilliant just brilliant
  • edited June 2017
    That review is so good . Perfect description of the place.

In Response to Re: More WSOP waffle. Oh no, no Nolan:
    In fact, let me show you just how good a writer Nolan is. Have you EVER read an interesting Restaurant Review? No, of course you have not. There is no such thing. Well take a read of this beauty by Nolan Dalla, reviewing a Las Vegas restaurant many of you on Sky Poker are familiar with......   http://www.nolandalla.com/tag/restaurant-reviews/ All you have to do is read the first sentence. After that, you'll be hooked. I promise.
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited June 2017
    That review is so good . Perfect description of the place. In Response to Re: More WSOP waffle. Oh no, no Nolan :
    Posted by day4eire76
    What?

How do you know? Have you actually BEEN there?

Tell us more.
  • edited June 2017
    Morning Tikay,

I remember a few years ago my brother in law and I busting the 10pm at treasure island. (is the "Toy Man" still about? Like Marmite that fella).

We stood in the queue for Gilleys for about 20 minutes before giving up and going somewhere else. Who knew what delights we were missing out on!

Entertaining stuff as always, 

Ed.

• edited June 2017

We never actually made it through the front door. Hadn’t planned to go but as we passed by we decided to have a look in. As we approached the entrance we were met with two customers and one member of staff having a screaming match. The lady was drenched and the man was covered in barbeque . From what we could tell the staff member had dropped her tray over the customers who were not happy. Strange seeing that behaviour from an American service worker who are usually overly friendly. Didn’t fancy barbeque after that so went for a Chinese

In Response to Re: More WSOP waffle. Oh no, no Nolan : What? How do you know? Have you actually BEEN there? Tell us more.
    Posted by Tikay10