You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Timed Tourneys

edited June 2017 in Poker Chat
In regard to the timed tourneys that attract a lot of runners, like the £300 guaranteed with a £5 buy in, would it not be better to run them for say an hour. This would reduce the number of runners left at the end, thereby increasing the prize money for those that are left.

Comments

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Timed Tourneys:
    In regard to the timed tourneys that attract a lot of runners, like the £300 guaranteed with a £5 buy in, would it not be better to run them for say an hour. This would reduce the number of runners left at the end, thereby increasing the prize money for those that are left.
    Posted by HAYSIE
    I might be wrong Haysie but is the prize money not dished out in relation to stack sizes? Therefore 3000 chips with 50 players left would be worth the same as with 5 players left meaning increasing our stack size is the salient point?

I don't play these often so apologies if I am wrong.
  • edited June 2017
    Assuming the same number of runners, each chip is assigned a value at close of late reg. so the prizepool is dependant on chip counts rather than number of finishers
    So I guess a longer period would allow you to accrue more chips, but the number of players left in doesn't affect your prize
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys:
    In Response to Timed Tourneys : I might be wrong Haysie but is the prize money not dished out in relation to stack sizes? Therefore 3000 chips with 50 players left would be worth the same as with 5 players left meaning increasing our stack size is the salient point? I don't play these often so apologies if I am wrong.
    Posted by markycash
    That is true, but as with any mtt, the longer it runs more players bust and the average stacks of the remaining players increase. The tournament I quoted needs 60 runners to meet the guarantee. Lets say that 30 bust in 30 mins. The remaining players get an average of £10 per head. Whereas if it ran for 60 mins there may be only 10 players left meaning the average player would get £30.

• edited June 2017
    Assuming the same number of runners, each chip is assigned a value at close of late reg. so the prizepool is dependant on chip counts rather than number of finishers So I guess a longer period would allow you to accrue more chips, but the number of players left in doesn't affect your prize
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Generally the less players still running at the end, the bigger their chip holding, and the bigger the prize.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Timed Tourneys : I might be wrong Haysie but is the prize money not dished out in relation to stack sizes? Therefore 3000 chips with 50 players left would be worth the same as with 5 players left meaning increasing our stack size is the salient point? I don't play these often so apologies if I am wrong.
    Posted by markycash
    Obviosly the increasing blinds would also have an effect.
    The £22 buy in £300 guaranteed with less runners, 15 last night, where 8 busted, 7th got £22 and the chip leader got £61, works out very differently because of the less runners.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : Generally the less players still running at the end, the bigger their chip holding, and the bigger the prize.
    Posted by HAYSIE

Agreed, I think the short runtime is an attraction to many, so perhaps your suggestion of a change in blinds structure could have the same effect
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : Agreed, I think the short runtime is an attraction to many, so perhaps your suggestion of a change in blinds structure could have the same effect
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    I think it would.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : Agreed, I think the short runtime is an attraction to many, so perhaps your suggestion of a change in blinds structure could have the same effect
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Or maybe 45 mins rather than an hour.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : Or maybe 45 mins rather than an hour.
    Posted by HAYSIE
    Aussie may be the man for this too. In a nutshell, because the number of runners in this does it become less worthwhile, because of too many runners left at the end splitting the prizepool

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : Aussie may be the man for this too. In a nutshell, because the number of runners in this does it become less worthwhile, because of too many runners left at the end splitting the prizepool
    Posted by HAYSIE

I hardly ever play MTTs these days but when I did the main attraction of timed tournaments to me was there that a lot of the field could get paid so it would reduce variance.
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : I hardly ever play MTTs these days but when I did the main attraction of timed tournaments to me was there that a lot of the field could get paid so it would reduce variance.
    Posted by FCHD
    What if half the field get a tenner each?
    The £300 guaranteed £22 buy in last night was 22 runners, 5 finishers, payouts from £2 to £246. I would much prefer to get 5 finishers rather than say 30.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : What if half the field get a tenner each? The £300 guaranteed £22 buy in last night was 22 runners, 5 finishers, payouts from £2 to £246. I would much prefer to get 5 finishers rather than say 30.
    Posted by HAYSIE
    And I wouldn't. That's perhaps one of the reasons why I migrated to DYMs on Sky. Higher proportions getting paid = good for me.

Life would be very boring if we all wanted the same thing.
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : And I wouldn't. That's perhaps one of the reasons why I migrated to DYMs on Sky. Higher proportions getting paid = good for me. Life would be very boring if we all wanted the same thing.
    Posted by FCHD
    Yes for sure.
  • edited June 2017
    Surely a point with timed tourneys is that you know when they will end.
    You know you don't have time to play a full tournament should you go deep
    But with timed you know you won't miss your bus
  • edited June 2017
    Surely a point with timed tourneys is that you know when they will end. You know you don't have time to play a full tournament should you go deep But with timed you know you won't miss your bus
    Posted by Goody_Ace
    Exactly that.

And the data tells us that Timed Tourneys of 15 or 30 minutes are the most popular. Once it goes above 30 minutes the appeal is much diluted.
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : Exactly that. And the data tells us that Timed Tourneys of 15 or 30 minutes are the most popular. Once it goes above 30 minutes the appeal is much diluted.
    Posted by Tikay10
    How dare you hurl such hurtful accusations at me as "EXACTLY THAT". Please dont  "EXACTLY THAT" me ever again.
    However I bow to your vastly superior knowledge.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : How dare you hurl such hurtful accusations at me as "EXACTLY THAT". Please dont  "EXACTLY THAT" me ever again. However I bow to your vastly superior knowledge.
    Posted by HAYSIE
    Exactly that.
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : Exactly that.
    Posted by Tikay10
    When I "EXACTLY THAT" you in the future, which I intend to do, you will know what it feels like, and you will be sorry. You must have a really good job if you have time to be "EXACTLY THATTING" people all over the place.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Timed Tourneys : Exactly that. And the data tells us that Timed Tourneys of 15 or 30 minutes are the most popular. Once it goes above 30 minutes the appeal is much diluted.
    Posted by Tikay10
    FYI, I have just been on Pokerstars, and they run them from 15 to 45 minutes,