You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Main Events

edited June 2017 in Poker Chat
The main events are all £33 from Monday to Saturday, excluding Friday.
So what about a £55 buy in maybe on a Thurday. I am sure that Thursday used to get the most runners playing the main. Could we get 300 runners, with a bit of promotion and plenty of sats? If so it would be a brilliant tourney.
You could also then do an £11 main one night to attract the new players, and smaller bankrolls without losing any rake.

Comments

• edited June 2017
    In Response to The Main Events:
    The main events are all £33 from Monday to Saturday, excluding Friday. So what about a £55 buy in maybe on a Thurday. I am sure that Thursday used to get the most runners playing the main. Could we get 300 runners, with a bit of promotion and plenty of sats? If so it would be a brilliant tourney. You could also then do an £11 main one night to attract the new players, and smaller bankrolls without losing any rake.
    Posted by HAYSIE
    Yeh...... Bring back TURBO TUESDAY
  • edited June 2017
    would like to see more freezeouts mains
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: The Main Events:
    would like to see more freezeouts mains
    Posted by big_mick12
    You are not alone.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to The Main Events:
    The main events are all £33 from Monday to Saturday, excluding Friday. So what about a £55 buy in maybe on a Thurday. I am sure that Thursday used to get the most runners playing the main. Could we get 300 runners, with a bit of promotion and plenty of sats? If so it would be a brilliant tourney. You could also then do an £11 main one night to attract the new players, and smaller bankrolls without losing any rake.
    Posted by HAYSIE
    Firstly, the £55 main.

- If it's a BH: A £55 BH main and a £55 BH at 9pm will take liquidity away from each other because they're too similar.
    - If it's a Freezeout: When we had the Primo, it worked for a while, but numbers declined and we eventually ended up with £8k Primos overlaying before they were eventually replaced. I think the demand for freezeouts (outside of a small but vocal forum minority) is lower than ever, not just on Sky but across the industry.
    - If it's a rebuy: Just no - Most punters can't afford £155 assuming 1R&A and not busting pre add-on, so won't play. I doubt many people will punt £55 as a regular freezeout unless they qualify through a satellite, and satellite players are notoriously reluctant to satellite into rebuys for bankroll management reasons.

I would personally like to see a £55 main back on the site, but I don't think it would work at present. If you did bring back a £55 main, I think it would have to be a BH, then you'd probably have to switch the £55 BH @ 9pm to something smaller (Probs £22 with like £4k Gtd) so that they're not near identical MTTs an hour apart. But tbh, all that switching around the schedule one day a week would probably just confuse people and not result in much (if any) change to Sky's bottom line.

---

Secondly, the £11 main. I think Turbo Tuesday was solid for a while, but it had the problem of needing to attract 3x as many runners as a £33 to make the same amount of money in rake for Sky. A £33 BH can pull 300 runners most of the time, whereas 900 runners in an £11 Turbo was a tough ask. 

Not only that, but there's a nightly £11 BH at 7:45 and 8:15, so there's already stuff in that price range. Again, you would have the issue of those tournaments taking liquidity away from each other. An £11 BH wouldn't work for that reason, neither would an £11 freeze because of too much in the same price range at the same time plus the aforementioned decline in freezeout popularity, so you simply wouldn't attract enough runners to compensate for the BI decrease from Sky's POV.

Could bringing back an £11r work? I think that's the only feasible option, really. I think the price would suit those who want to take multiple rebuys and addon, still be affordable to those wanting to play it as a freezeout, or rebuy at the start/take addon/play as freezeout. But then the Wednesday rebuy used to finish later than anything else on the schedule bar the Sunday roller, and recs don't want to play til 2am, come 7th for like £100 when they've spent £50 on rebuys earlier, then have to get up for work the next morning. So even a rebuy has its problems - I know the £11r main used to be pretty marginal on the overlay at times with a somewhat unspectacular guarantee. I can't see Sky having much motivation to take such chances when the majority of players are still happy to flick in the £33 quid for the same old BH main most nights, tbh.

It is a shame IMO, as I'd like to see more variety. But given past failures of non-BH mains (Primo, Weds Rebuy, Turbo Tuesday), I imagine Sky would be reluctant to change anything as long as BHs are churning out consistent fields and therefore, rake.
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to The Main Events : Firstly, the £55 main. - If it's a BH: A £55 BH main and a £55 BH at 9pm will take liquidity away from each other because they're too similar. - If it's a Freezeout: When we had the Primo, it worked for a while, but numbers declined and we eventually ended up with £8k Primos overlaying before they were eventually replaced. I think the demand for freezeouts (outside of a small but vocal forum minority) is lower than ever, not just on Sky but across the industry. - If it's a rebuy: Just no - Most punters can't afford £155 assuming 1R&A and not busting pre add-on, so won't play. I doubt many people will punt £55 as a regular freezeout unless they qualify through a satellite, and satellite players are notoriously reluctant to satellite into rebuys for bankroll management reasons. I would personally like to see a £55 main back on the site, but I don't think it would work at present. If you did bring back a £55 main, I think it would have to be a BH, then you'd probably have to switch the £55 BH @ 9pm to something smaller (Probs £22 with like £4k Gtd) so that they're not near identical MTTs an hour apart. But tbh, all that switching around the schedule one day a week would probably just confuse people and not result in much (if any) change to Sky's bottom line. --- Secondly, the £11 main. I think Turbo Tuesday was solid for a while, but it had the problem of needing to attract 3x as many runners as a £33 to make the same amount of money in rake for Sky. A £33 BH can pull 300 runners most of the time, whereas 900 runners in an £11 Turbo was a tough ask.  Not only that, but there's a nightly £11 BH at 7:45 and 8:15, so there's already stuff in that price range. Again, you would have the issue of those tournaments taking liquidity away from each other. An £11 BH wouldn't work for that reason, neither would an £11 freeze because of too much in the same price range at the same time plus the aforementioned decline in freezeout popularity, so you simply wouldn't attract enough runners to compensate for the BI decrease from Sky's POV. Could bringing back an £11r work? I think that's the only feasible option, really. I think the price would suit those who want to take multiple rebuys and addon, still be affordable to those wanting to play it as a freezeout, or rebuy at the start/take addon/play as freezeout. But then the Wednesday rebuy used to finish later than anything else on the schedule bar the Sunday roller, and recs don't want to play til 2am, come 7th for like £100 when they've spent £50 on rebuys earlier, then have to get up for work the next morning. So even a rebuy has its problems - I know the £11r main used to be pretty marginal on the overlay at times with a somewhat unspectacular guarantee. I can't see Sky having much motivation to take such chances when the majority of players are still happy to flick in the £33 quid for the same old BH main most nights, tbh. It is a shame IMO, as I'd like to see more variety. But given past failures of non-BH mains (Primo, Weds Rebuy, Turbo Tuesday), I imagine Sky would be reluctant to change anything as long as BHs are churning out consistent fields and therefore, rake.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Sky currently get £3 rake on both nights. So provided similar numbers were attained on both nights it would work out exactly the same for them if they took £1 and £5. Even though I think the numbers could increase dramatically as we used to get 600 runners on an £11 Tuesday, and Thursday used to be the main events biggest night.
    What would be good would be a £11 freezeout on a Tuesday. This would work out well as you have the £110 Summit at 9pm.
    No need for sats for the £11, so more players could sat into the Summit. £11 is a great opportunity for new players, and smaller bankrolls.
    Then the £55 bounty hunter on Thurday, maybe with something different to the Sheriff at 9pm. Perhaps something at about £33.
    But what about if the £55 bounty hunter was slightly different to the norm. Maybe £15 heads the same as the other nights, and the other £35 into the prizepool. Maybe a re-entry maybe not. If you did a re-entry you might make the 9pm £22, to make the night a bit cheaper.
    If the fact that there is no rake on rebuys/re-entries is detrimental to Sky, I dont think charging a rake on them would stop anyone.
    ps Aussie09 taught me how to play bounty hunters tonight. I will be sending him a tip.
    If I remember that is.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to The Main Events : Yeh...... Bring back TURBO TUESDAY
    Posted by MISTY4ME
    Didnt it used to be guaranteed 6k at £11 buy in?

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: The Main Events : Didnt it used to be guaranteed 6k at £11 buy in?
    Posted by HAYSIE
    exactly that
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: The Main Events : exactly that
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
    Hes got you at it now.
    One person "EXACTLY THATTING" it all over this forum is quite enough thank you.