You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

"Waffle" and "ramblings" from Las Vegas.

edited July 2017 in Poker Chat

Sunday & Monday were two of the weirdest weather days I can ever remember at this time of year in Vegas.

On Saturday, the temperature was nudging 103f, 104f all day, & even at midnight it was still 98f.

Sunday there was a "Severe Weather Warning", with high winds meaning most swimming pools were closed. The tall buildings, of course, make the wind worse, as vortex's form. (don't know the plural of "vortex").

Yesterday( Monday) it was, in relative terms, thoroughly chilly, or "fresh", at 76f most of the day & a chilling breeze blowing. 

Had to wear a wooly last night, bang out of order really.  

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2017

Had to go googling, it was driving me nuts.

The plural of vortex is "vortices".

Obv.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    The weather took a turn for the better here too today...

It only rained for half the day.

You won't need the woolies at the weekend, it is going to be hot Hot HOT!
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I was on a table at Venetian, Las Vegas yesterday where there were - or appeared to be - 8 dealers.

They were all telling the real dealer how to do his job.

It's a peculiarity of amateur poker players, who are probably very good at being a butcher, baker, candlestick maker or even timeshare salesman, that they think they can run poker better than those who have worked in the Industry for many years. Isn't that a weird thing? They play poker as a hobby but think they can run it better than the experienced staff.

Everything the Dealer did was criticised, and on top of that, the structure was "rubbish", the prize money distribution was wrong, and the tournament was being played at a bad start time on the wrong day of the week. 

Apart from that, it was perfect.

It went on, & on, & on. It was like being on a table with 8 HAYSIE's.   

• Options
    edited June 2017

That table - mercifully - eventually broke, thank goodness.

My new table was completely different, everyone was sane and sensible.

One guy was in a wheelchair, & appeared to have really bad cerebral palsy, such that he had very limited use of his hands, as is common with cerebral palsy.

To view his (4) cards, he had to pull them onto the cushioned rail, one at a time, with his clenched fist. (He could not open his hand).

To put chips in the pot (or remove & stack them) was equally difficult. You try handling chips with a clenched fist, it ain't easy.

Even getting to somewhere like Vegas, if you are in a wheelchair, is 100 times more difficult than it is for you or I. 

Real reality check stuff, that.

Nobody DARED complain about trivialities on that table, believe me.      
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to "Waffle" and "ramblings" from Las Vegas.:
    Sunday & Monday were two of the weirdest weather days I can ever remember at this time of year in Vegas.   On Saturday, the temperature was nudging 103f, 104f all day, & even at midnight it was still 98f. Sunday there was a "Severe Weather Warning", with high winds meaning most swimming pools were closed. The tall buildings, of course, make the wind worse, as vortex's form. (don't know the plural of "vortex"). Yesterday( Monday) it was, in relative terms, thoroughly chilly, or "fresh", at 76f most of the day & a chilling breeze blowing.  Had to wear a wooly last night, bang out of order really.    
    Posted by Tikay10

is the plural of vortex, "vivetex"?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: "Waffle" and "ramblings" from Las Vegas.:
    I was on a table at Venetian, Las Vegas yesterday where there were - or appeared to be - 8 dealers. They were all telling the real dealer how to do his job. It's a peculiarity of amateur poker players, who are probably very good at being a butcher, baker, candlestick maker or even timeshare salesman, that they think they can run poker better than those who have worked in the Industry for many years. Isn't that a weird thing? They play poker as a hobby but think they can run it better than the experienced staff. Everything the Dealer did was criticised, and on top of that, the structure was "rubbish", the prize money distribution was wrong, and the tournament was being played at a bad start time on the wrong day of the week.  Apart from that, it was perfect.   It went on, & on, & on. It was like being on a table with 8 HAYSIE's.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    The structure of that tourney looked great and the rake was under 15%. I wouldn't be complaining about either element in a live Vegas MTT.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Interesting stuff...

Was the cushioned rail sloping so the guy with CP could slide the cards on to it or did he pick them up in his fists. Didn't he bend them (I was never allowed to touch the cards when we played as a family in case they became dog-eared!) or do Vegas deal every hand from a new deck?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Interesting stuff... Was the cushioned rail sloping so the guy with CP could slide the cards on to it or did he pick them up in his fists. Didn't he bend them (I was never allowed to touch the cards when we played as a family in case they became dog-eared!) or do Vegas deal every hand from a new deck?
    Posted by QUICKFEET
    Hi Bud,

Clearly a problem you are familiar with.

The rail was cushioned, & with great dexterity, he placed his clamped fist on top on the 4 cards, then carefully pulled them "up" the cushioned rail. Next, he sort of eased the 4 cards sideways to fan them out so he could see them.

He did have to "flex" the cards to use them, yes, but the cards are very high quality, & bending or flexing them does not damage them at all.

Generally, the deck is only changed in WSOP events when there is a Dealer "push".

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I was on a table at Venetian, Las Vegas yesterday where there were - or appeared to be - 8 dealers. They were all telling the real dealer how to do his job. It's a peculiarity of amateur poker players, who are probably very good at being a butcher, baker, candlestick maker or even timeshare salesman, that they think they can run poker better than those who have worked in the Industry for many years. Isn't that a weird thing? They play poker as a hobby but think they can run it better than the experienced staff. Everything the Dealer did was criticised, and on top of that, the structure was "rubbish", the prize money distribution was wrong, and the tournament was being played at a bad start time on the wrong day of the week.  Apart from that, it was perfect.   It went on, & on, & on. It was like being on a table with 8 HAYSIE's.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Firstly I never sold timeshare, but did market holiday ownership, and luxury holiday homes.
    Secondly, I was the Sales Director responsible for 9 sales teams, not a salesman.
    Thirdly, this enabled me to earn enough money to afford excellent legal advice.
    Fourthly, this post is currently winging its way over to him, for an opinion.
    Fifthly, (thats really hard to say unless youve got your teeth in correctly) see you in court.
    Sixthly, the above post is nonsense because there just couldnt be 8 HAYSIES in the world
    Seventhly, if I were to extract the urine I might say that your work with Sky made you perfectly suited to the above tourney.
    Eighthly, think yourself lucky you dont have to get a load of points to enter a tourney over there.
    Ninethly Good luck on the tables
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: "Waffle" and "ramblings" from Las Vegas. : Firstly I never sold timeshare, but did market holiday ownership, and luxury holiday homes. Secondly, I was the Sales Director responsible for 9 sales teams, not a salesman. Thirdly, this enabled me to earn enough money to afford excellent legal advice. Fourthly, this post is currently winging its way over to him, for an opinion. Fifthly, (thats really hard to say unless youve got your teeth in correctly) see you in court. Sixthly, the above post is nonsense because there just couldnt be 8 HAYSIES in the world Seventhly, if I were to extract the urine I might say that your work with Sky made you perfectly suited to the above tourney. Eighthly, think yourself lucky you dont have to get a load of points to enter a tourney over there. Ninethly Good luck on the tables
    Posted by HAYSIE

:-))

• Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: "Waffle" and "ramblings" from Las Vegas. : Firstly I never sold timeshare, but did market holiday ownership, and luxury holiday homes. Secondly, I was the Sales Director responsible for 9 sales teams, not a salesman. Thirdly, this enabled me to earn enough money to afford excellent legal advice. Fourthly, this post is currently winging its way over to him, for an opinion. Fifthly, (thats really hard to say unless youve got your teeth in correctly) see you in court. Sixthly, the above post is nonsense because there just couldnt be 8 HAYSIES in the world Seventhly, if I were to extract the urine I might say that your work with Sky made you perfectly suited to the above tourney. Eighthly, think yourself lucky you dont have to get a load of points to enter a tourney over there. Ninethly Good luck on the tables
    Posted by HAYSIE
    ps I couldnt think of a tenthly, otherwise you would have had it.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: "Waffle" and "ramblings" from Las Vegas. : :-))
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    I am not sure if that is supposed to mean something. Even though I am Wesh, I do speak English, as it seems do most of the people on this forum. Never been able to speak symbols though.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: "Waffle" and "ramblings" from Las Vegas. : I am not sure if that is supposed to mean something. Even though I am Wesh, I do speak English, as it seems do most of the people on this forum. Never been able to speak symbols though.
    Posted by HAYSIE
    take it that hes happy with your post
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: "Waffle" and "ramblings" from Las Vegas. : take it that hes happy with your post
    Posted by stokefc
    You sure?  I will have to learn to speak symbols.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Morning Mr. Hayes....

If you tip your head 90degrees, so it rests on your left shoulder you can see the symbols make up into a 'smiley face' with 2 smiles in this case...... 

...........or possibly a DOUBLE CHIN!     (:D}

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Morning Mr. Hayes.... If you tip your head 90degrees, so it rests on your left shoulder you can see the symbols make up into a 'smiley face' with 2 smiles in this case......  ...........or possibly a DOUBLE CHIN!     (:D}
    Posted by MISTY4ME
    Do you really think that you are the man to be lecturing about double chins?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: "Waffle" and "ramblings" from Las Vegas. : Do you really think that you are the man to be lecturing about double chins?
    Posted by HAYSIE
    ha ha ha ha..... 

Just look how slim I am in my PROFILE piccy
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: "Waffle" and "ramblings" from Las Vegas. : ha ha ha ha.....  Just look how slim I am in my PROFILE piccy
    Posted by MISTY4ME
    Photoshopped.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: "Waffle" and "ramblings" from Las Vegas. : Photoshopped.
    Posted by HAYSIE
    Lots of surgery and hormone tablets?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Posted by Tikay10
    Someone said its your birthday about now, did you get the telegram?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tenthly, I am afraid that the Viva Last Vegas promotion failed to back up your claims. The ridiculous targets resulting in very few runners. Sone qualified players were unable to enter. Unqualified players receiving a text to say thet they were. Even players who had previously said they had no chance of qualifying having a little whinge about not being able to play, even though they knew they hadnt quaalified, because of the texts.
    I can only assume that the over the top points targets were put in place to cover the 7k costs. Assuming this was the case then the outcome can only be seen as a complete failure. Although fairer targets would have meant a different outcome. I absolutely see no reason for Sky to apologise for wanting to cover the costs, and had this been better thought out, I am certain they could have completely covered the costs without alienating groups of players.
    If your claim that "The intention was to give everyone a chance at qualifying"was shared by the suits, then it can also be seen as a complete failure from that point of view.
    What about recruiting some butchers to organise the next promotion?
    Many players substantially increased their points during May, because of Vegas sats etc. Yet these players were allocated in many cases with a massive increase in their points target in order to qualify. Who on earth could possibly think that this was a good idea. 
    What about the fainess of some players buying in to a freeroll for £5 and others for £400.
    I take great comfort from the fact that this was organised by people that knew what they were doing.
    Any bakers out there looking for a job?
    ps I was completely over and done with this, but my solicitor said you opened the door, going on about experienced staff.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Read this from Paul "the real poker player" Jackson yesterday. Made me smile

"Last 33 of PLO/PLO8 at planet Hollywood 
    $125k pool

Playing PLO player just checked behind on river with s8 flush
    Got one round penalty 
    Player on table argues with floor saying
    "We can't afford to have this guy sit out for a full round"

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Read this from Paul "the real poker player" Jackson yesterday. Made me smile "Last 33 of PLO/PLO8 at planet Hollywood  $125k pool Playing PLO player just checked behind on river with s8 flush Got one round penalty  Player on table argues with floor saying "We can't afford to have this guy sit out for a full round"
    Posted by Jac35
    Funny
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Arrived on Monday afternoon,the heat is unbelievable when you step outside.

Played my first tournie on tuesday afternoon the $150 buy in 20k gtd at the nugget,346 runners ,a good structure till near the end ,when the blinds were 25k/50k with a 5k ante with 9 players left most had less than 10 blinds left,so everyone agreed to a straight chop and we all got $3,121 each (about the equivalent of finishing in 3rd place)
    Wed played a bit of 1/2 cash and won $250. Hoping my run good continues into the bigger buy in games when I play them.
    Have a great time every one who's out here (hard not to)

Was told a story about (mad) Marty Wilson's exit from the seniors game at the nugget,Marty has kk in a three way all in. The flop comes k44  the other two players have ak and AQ turn 4 river 4 and the other two chop the pot and Marty's out OUCH.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Arrived on Monday afternoon,the heat is unbelievable when you step outside. Played my first tournie on tuesday afternoon the $150 buy in 20k gtd at the nugget,346 runners ,a good structure till near the end ,when the blinds were 25k/50k with a 5k ante with 9 players left most had less than 10 blinds left,so everyone agreed to a straight chop and we all got $3,121 each (about the equivalent of finishing in 3rd place) Wed played a bit of 1/2 cash and won $250. Hoping my run good continues into the bigger buy in games when I play them. Have a great time every one who's out here (hard not to) Was told a story about (mad) Marty Wilson's exit from the seniors game at the nugget,Marty has kk in a three way all in. The flop comes k44  the other two players have ak and AQ turn 4 river 4 and the other two chop the pot and Marty's out OUCH.
    Posted by TheMadMonk
    not funny.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Arrived on Monday afternoon,the heat is unbelievable when you step outside. Played my first tournie on tuesday afternoon the $150 buy in 20k gtd at the nugget,346 runners ,a good structure till near the end ,when the blinds were 25k/50k with a 5k ante with 9 players left most had less than 10 blinds left,so everyone agreed to a straight chop and we all got $3,121 each (about the equivalent of finishing in 3rd place) Wed played a bit of 1/2 cash and won $250. Hoping my run good continues into the bigger buy in games when I play them. Have a great time every one who's out here (hard not to) Was told a story about (mad) Marty Wilson's exit from the seniors game at the nugget,Marty has kk in a three way all in. The flop comes k44  the other two players have ak and AQ turn 4 river 4 and the other two chop the pot and Marty's out OUCH.
    Posted by TheMadMonk

NEVER happens online....... hee hee
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Played the $150 buy in 100k gtd at the nugget on Friday.

I played day1 a there was also day1  b and c flights played on friday and 3 more day1 flights to be played on the Saturday,day 2 is the Sunday..

15k starting stack,there was 386 players in my flight,ended up with 50 or so players going through to day2  from day1a ,average stack about 90k, I've got 224k to go into day2 with.
    Day2 should start at 2k/4k/and 400 ante,so I've got 56bb to play with,enough to have some fun with.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Posted by TheMadMonk
    He had some bad luck in The Nugget Seniors, on the bright side took him a few spins of the roulette wheel back at his hotel to get his entry fee back lol . He also finished 120th in seniors at the Rio for 4k
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Went out the 100k in 136th place for $282, second hand in I flop the nut straight and the chips went in against two pair witch turned into a house on the river and I lose 130k of my stack,then couple of levels later 3 way all in I've got ak suited against qq and 66 ,the 66 wins and the qq takes the side pot, get back up to about 9 bb and get them in with qj get called by a10 I hit q on the turn he hits ace on the river gg

The tournie smashed its gtd and there was about 300k in the kitty that was before the nugget take about 90k/100k out as their rake (shocking)

Got another week to go out in Vegas,not sure what ime playing next,good luck to all still out here.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Famous people spotting,walking into a hotel entrance,there was a guy in front of me,he held the door open for me,I turned to say cheers to him,it was Donny osmond.