You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What would YOU do?

edited June 2017 in Poker Chat
Just played in a 30 minute timed tourney.
I was doing ok with above average chips all the way.
In the final minute and probably the last hand, I was dealt KK.
I was in 2nd place with a guaranteed pay out.
The leader, two places down went all in before the flop.
All folded round to me...
No brainer - or take the money?

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Need a little information. 

Payouts? 

Assuming we dont get involved, if the lower stack player wins will we end up in first place? Or will we get pushed down to 3rd or remain second?

If we get involved and beat chip lead but lose to lower stack where does that leave us?

I think regardless of anything I have a pretty hard time folding the kings. 

• edited June 2017
    Snap call from here to eternity unless it is a satellite or in some very unusual circumstances.

Edit: I am assuming payouts are based on finishing stack sizes not finishing position.
  • edited June 2017
    What markycash said. 
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: What would YOU do?:
    Need a little information.  Payouts?  Assuming we dont get involved, if the lower stack player wins will we end up in first place? Or will we get pushed down to 3rd or remain second? If we get involved and beat chip lead but lose to lower stack where does that leave us? I think regardless of anything I have a pretty hard time folding the kings. 
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Payout is based on chip count, it is irrelevant where we finish within the field
  • edited June 2017
    Oh yh my bad matt.

I think i completely read the op wrong, i assumed it was a 3 way all in if we call but reading again i think it's clear only the chip leader is all in.

In that case a no brainer and call.
  • edited June 2017
    Sorry for any confusion.
    I knew it meant 1st place or out. (He was chip leader and covered me)
    You can't know the prize money until it finishes.
    It is a percentage pay out based on how many are left out of how many started and position.
    There were only about 7 players left so 1st and 2nd would have a decent piece of the money.

• edited June 2017
    id fold if its the last min of the tournament
  • edited June 2017

Correct me if I am wrong but is payout not based on chip count and number of players left irrelevant?

• edited June 2017
    Correct me if I am wrong but is payout not based on chip count and number of players left irrelevant?
    Posted by MattBates
    After late reg has closed each chip is assigned a monetary value based on total number of chips, so finishing position is not so important as a standard mtt.
  • edited June 2017
    Sorry for any confusion. I knew it meant 1st place or out. (He was chip leader and covered me) You can't know the prize money until it finishes. It is a percentage pay out based on how many are left out of how many started and position. There were only about 7 players left so 1st and 2nd would have a decent piece of the money.
    Posted by Goody_Ace

You can estimate this really easily by looking at how much your chips are currently worth and then doubling it. If it's the last hand then ICM isn't a thing/ second last hand it will only have a negligible effect.

If you think you win the hand at least half the time you win money by calling.

By folding you are essentially trading EV for the sake of booking a smaller win. I'd make the trade with some hands sometimes, never really with this much of a profitable call.
  • edited June 2017
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: What would YOU do? : After late reg has closed each chip is assigned a monetary value based on total number of chips, so finishing position is not so important as a standard mtt.
    Posted by Snuffer
    Actually, you can work out chip value before you even enter, £5.50 buy-in and 2000 starting stack would mean 2000 chips is worth £5 as long as there is no overlay, then they would be worth more.
  • edited June 2017
    Posted by MattBates
    Maybe it has changed, but is used to be the case that the value of your chips at any point in a Timed Tourney was shown in the Lobby.

And yes, payout is based on how many chips you have, not how many players are left. 

• edited June 2017
    I did not know that... thanks.
    Anyway, I called.
    He had A 10 v KK.
    He caught a 10 on the flop but K's held.
    I doubled up to chip leader and the tourney was over.