You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WSOP - inside the numbers.

edited June 2017 in Poker Chat

The WSOP Colossus cost $565 to enter, & paid a first prize of $1,000,000. Very nice too.

A look at how the numbers were arrived at was, I thought, quite interesting.

In all, it had 18,054 entries. (That equates to over $10 million).

However, it was a RE-ENTRY, & the actual number of UNIQUES ("uniques" are different people) was almost exactly half that, at 9,074. So where did the other half of the entries come from?

# of players entering ONCE = 5,123

# of players entering TWICE = 1,814 

# of players entering 3 TIMES = 916 

# of players entering 4 TIMES = 480

# of players entering 5 TIMES = 291  

# of players entering 6 TIMES = 204

# of players entering 7 TIMES = 119  

# of players entering 8 TIMES = 62 

# of players entering 9 TIMES = 36 

# of players entering 10 TIMES = 17  

# of players entering 11 TIMES = 11

# of players entering 12 TIMES = 1 

Comments

• edited June 2017

So, by making it unlimited re-entries, they were able to boost the Guaranteed Prize Pool considerably.

Good idea, then. Or is it?

This is not to knock the WSOP, but it is the direction poker is moving, to make more events unlimited re-entry. Party, & DTD are particularly adept at this, & I daresay Sky Poker do a bit of it now & then, too.

More money is up for grabs, & arguably more value, but for many of us, it will cost us more.
  • edited June 2017

So, in short, do you think unlimited (or even limited) re-entries are a good idea, or a bad idea?

And why?
  • edited June 2017
  • edited June 2017
    Interesting ramblings :)

I guess, like it or not, poker will evolve and there will be more of these things.

I would love it personally if there was an effort to promote just a small number of 'old fashioned' tourneys. You know, the ones where you register on time or you miss it, where if you lose your stack then you are on the rail. Unlikely to happen though as the newer alternatives are more popular.
  • edited June 2017

It was good to see the WSOP Seniors Event attract a monster sized field of 5,389 wrinklies - but this was boosted by making it a single Re-Entry affair.

This evidently upset a lot of the old folks, though whether it stopped many of them playing is another matter.

Again, good idea, or a bad idea?

For many of the Seniors, this is the only event they will play, of course.  
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: WSOP - inside the numbers.:
    Bad. 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Why is that Alan?

I'm not arguing, just genuinely interested.

"Level playing field" etc?

• edited June 2017

I guess that eventually, the WSOP Main will become a Re-entry.

In fact, I'd bet good money it will, & within the next 5 years.

I expect the total numbers who play this year's Main Event to be down on last year, & the WSOP won't like that.

• edited June 2017

well, change isn't great, but as soon as we get used to it the better. 

i remember not liking bounty hunters when they arrived all those years ago.

it will be interesting how late registration and unlimited rebuys work together.

• edited June 2017
    I guess that eventually, the WSOP Main will become a Re-entry. In fact, I'd bet good money it will, & within the next 5 years.   I expect the total numbers who play this year's Main Event to be down on last year, & the WSOP won't like that.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Please no!

I would also bet good money on this not happening. Fiver? :D
  • edited June 2017
    well, change isn't great, but as soon as we get used to it the better.  i remember not liking bounty hunters when they arrived all those years ago. it will be interesting how late registration and unlimited rebuys work together.  
    Posted by aussie09
    I was due to play a $600 PLO/PLO8 at Planet Hollywood today.

It began at Noon today, & Late Reg &/or Re-Entry is until 11.45pm tonight. That's Day 1a.

Tomorrow is Day 1B, with another 11 hours & 45 minutes of Late Reg &/or Re-entry.

Who would play that if they had the chance? Any of you?

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: WSOP - inside the numbers. : Please no! I would also bet good money on this not happening. Fiver? :D
    Posted by markycash
    BOOKED.

I'm getting pretty good odds here, as you don't get paid if I fail to last another 5 years......

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: WSOP - inside the numbers. : I was due to play a $600 PLO/PLO8 at Planet Hollywood today. It began at Noon today, & Late Reg &/or Re-Entry is until 11.45pm tonight. That's Day 1a. Tomorrow is Day 1B, with another 11 hours & 45 minutes of Late Reg &/or Re-entry. Who would play that if they had the chance? Any of you?   
    Posted by Tikay10
    i would reg at 11pm tomorrow.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: WSOP - inside the numbers. : BOOKED. I'm getting pretty good odds here, as you don't get paid if I fail to last another 5 years......  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I guess that cuts both ways if the unthinkable were to happen. Or would you have a note written down somewhere that I owe the estate £5 :D
  • edited June 2017

EDC -Electric Daisy carnival - started on Friday night, & ends tomorrow (Monday) morning.

It's sort of like Woodstock or Glasto, with a few key differences - it is held at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, so the ground is "hard standing" & there is no mud.

Also, due to the extreme heat (it is forecast to be 117f tomorrow) they hold it at night, not during the day.

And the girls all attend wearing.......bikinis.

Imagine girls going to Glasto in bikinis. They'd die of hypothermia. Thing is with Vegas, the weather is utterly predictable.

How many attended on Friday night? Just the 136,000.

Last night? 141,000.

Tickets cost about $360, though that is for all three nights. You do the math. (Call it $50 MILLION).   

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: WSOP - inside the numbers. : i would reg at 11pm tomorrow.
    Posted by aussie09
    I think that would mean that for $600, you would get......FIVE Big Blinds.

Here's the structure sheet;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_kF_hpE7FgTDVKdWRJWkRlMFE/view
  • edited June 2017
    EDC -Electric Daisy carnival - started on Friday night, & ends tomorrow (Monday) morning. It's sort of like Woodstock or Glasto, with a few key differences - it is held at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, so the ground is "hard standing" & there is no mud.   Also, due to the extreme heat (it is forecast to be 117f tomorrow) they hold it at night, not during the day. And the girls all attend wearing.......bikinis. Imagine girls going to Glasto in bikinis. They'd die of hypothermia. Thing is with Vegas, the weather is utterly predictable.   How many attended on Friday night? Just the 136,000.   Last night? 141,000. Tickets cost about $360, though that is for all three nights. You do the maths. (Call it $50 MILLION).       
    Posted by Tikay10
    FYP-American is not English :)

Think they have the right balance for re-entries atm
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: WSOP - inside the numbers. : I think that would mean that for $600, you would get......FIVE Big Blinds. Here's the structure sheet;   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_kF_hpE7FgTDVKdWRJWkRlMFE/view
    Posted by Tikay10
    sounds good

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: WSOP - inside the numbers. : Why is that Alan? I'm not arguing, just genuinely interested. "Level playing field" etc?  
    Posted by Tikay10

Yes, level playing field is a big factor. If you make the majority of games unlimited rebuys (or bingo games as I like to call them), the 'skill' game of poker becomes dilluted and those with the bigger pockets will have a major advantage of those not so affluent.

FTR, PP limit their games to a maximum of 3 rebuys in the games I have played in. However, their late reg is too long by far. Limited rebuys/one reload is the way forward for the players but unlimited rebuys favour the sites (IMHO).

Also, DTD have now a pure FO game on Thursdays. I believe it is well supported. 

I see Sky Poker introducing more rebuys in the future. Like a few things in life, people can choose what they want to and how to spend their money.

Interesting debate though. However, I best get back to playing poker and watching the golf. Tommy FTW (The golfer, not the poker player )
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: WSOP - inside the numbers. : Yes, level playing field is a big factor. If you make the majority of games unlimited rebuys (or bingo games as I like to call them), the 'skill' game of poker becomes dilluted and those with the bigger pockets will have a major advantage of those not so affluent. FTR, PP limit their games to a maximum of 3 rebuys in the games I have played in. However, their late reg is too long by far. Limited rebuys/one reload is the way forward for the players but unlimited rebuys favour the sites (IMHO). Also, DTD have now a pure FO game on Thursdays. I believe it is well supported.  I see Sky Poker introducing more rebuys in the future. Like a few things in life, people can choose what they want to and how to spend their money. Interesting debate though. However, I best get back to playing poker and watching the golf. Tommy FTW (The golfer, not the poker player )
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Assuming there is no Reg Fee on the rebuy I'm not convinced that is true.

Re-Entries, of course, ARE raked, so yes, they deffo favour the House. The flip side is increased prize pools, but they come at a cost.

• edited June 2017
    I would be happier with freeze outs when the buy in is high I have to play a different game to those that can rebuy but maybe I'm a tight old person wouldn't let me say g i t.