You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

** JACKPOT SYNDICATE ** ROYAL ASCOT ** THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED **

edited June 2017 in Betting Chat
Hi all.

I know the Placepots didn't turn out as we hoped, and no doubt doing them will meet with mixed reviews. Whether we attempt them again at big festivals can be discussed at a later date.

I do think, were we the right side of the track biases, that we would have done very nicely, but that's irrelevant for now. 

Over all we had a net loss of £565.88 = £1.48 loss per share, so not great, but not a disaster.

So much effort went into these attempts, and I wanted to thank a few people:

Firstly without doubt, the person who deserves the most credit is Roger (Zadoc) who had arguably the toughest job in prepping all the spreadsheets for each of the days. No small task with the size of the fields.

As is Roger's nature, he was very obliging, courteous and understanding when we cancelled Friday and Saturday at the last minute, despite the fact that he had already prepped both days.

I think Roger quite enjoys doing the spreadsheets (correct me if I am wrong) but it would always be handy if we could have a back up/assistant for him on these extra busy times or if he is away. So if there are any volunteers to cover for Roger if/when he can't do it, please put yourself forward.

Next in equal measure, I'd like to thank, Dollie, Snuffer and Phantom.

We all know and have seen the hard work that Phantom has put in doing the NAP's leader boards and also defining better processes and templates, without him, especially over Ascot, I just wouldn't have been able to manage.

Snuffer has been doing some great work in consolidating everyone's NAP's and Removals so that it was easier for me to assess, along with Micky and Vaigret he was also one of the first to check peoples scores etc. In addition to this he has a key role behind the scenes with the audit and validation of financial screenshots etc.

I must also thank Dollie, not only does Dollie verify and audit all the financial transactions and share holdings, but he also sent me running balances to cross reference with my own for all the days we placed bets for Ascot.

In fact the work he has done in general on the financial audit workbook that he designed and maintains was quite exceptional, and is a very reliable and thorough audit indeed, which benefits us all. This work is often not seen, but it is very important.

A few others now to thank. MAXALLY does a great job, getting all the NAP's on one page (usually at the top) and maintaining all the results. Vaigret, Wynne, Misty, Micky, Phantom, etc are always very helpful with their thoughts on the race dynamics etc. (sorry if I missed anyone)

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone who takes part in the NAP's and REMOVAL's process. I know we don't always agree, and sometimes I have to make tough decisions when the perm cost starts to swell, but the spirit in which everyone contributes is much appreciated.

OK, so what is next?

I am not expecting payments to come in today (24th June) as it's Saturday, so hopefully I will be able to verify them early on Monday morning (26th June)

We have £296.77 left in the kitty, so if the JACKPOT rolls over tomorrow, then we may have a crack at the Jackpot on Sunday.

Just as an early heads up, I expect the Jackpot to be at Worcester on Sunday. (To be confirmed)

It's quite a tough card (although how tough I won't really know until this afternoon/evening.) So this brings up a question.

Normally I only like to attempt the Jackpot if I think we statistically have a better than 1 in 12 chance of success. I feel, as it stands atm that Worcester will be quite tough, and I'd say that our chance (using the £296.77 that we have) would be more like 1 in 25 or 4%.

If it rolls over and we got the Jackpot up, would it pay more than 25 * our stake on average? Yes I think it would. So I do think it would be +ev (assuming a roll over), but it's higher variance than normal.

So, assuming a roll over, and taking into consideration the above, do people still want to go for it?

Please bear in mind, IF we go for it, I may need to leave out some of the NAPS and horses people have left in or added, to avoid spiralling perm costs. Please don't take this personally, it's just one of the tough things I have to consider, and for sure, I won't always get it right, but will do the best I can with the information at hand.

Please let me know your thoughts re Sunday, thanks again for your continued support and assistance.

I know this month has not gone well financially, and we will have months like this, so your co-operation, support and understanding of the variance involved, is even more appreciated at this time, than when we are winning.

All the best, and GL to us going forward!

Cheers,

G

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Well said Graham -  I would also like to thank all the people who put  a lot of effort into making the syndicate a success and of course especially yourself whose idea this was. I don't know how you find the time along with your other commitments to do this so wholeheartedly.You clearly know your stuff and it is fantastic that those of us with only a small share can benefit from that and have a lot of fun and excitement along the way.
         With regards to the placepot attempts  -  yes it did not work out that well but it only needed one more horse placed here or there to make a big difference and like you say it did not actually cost us a lot per share. It certainly made watching Royal Ascot this week more interesting than usual..
           If the Jackpot does indeed rollover from Ascot today I would say definitely go for it with our remaining funds  -  it will be too big a fund to not have a go even if the Worcester card is a little tricky.

• edited June 2017

Agree with all your words mate and the biggest thank you should go to you, without you all other peoples work and "fun" would be meaningless.

If rollover to sunday it should be a definite go imo as you wont get many chances of such a biggy.

Father V

• edited June 2017

This is certainly a Team effort, very well done to all that have contributed, especially GRAHAM as he has the biggest workload, but all contributions are important.

Just a heads up going forward, i will be away JULY 3/4/5/6 ( MONDAY TO THURSDAY ) should there be an attempt at the JACKPOT,  it would help Graham if someone could prep the required spreadsheet ( may not be required ) but knowing someone was available would be assuring.

Roger 
  • edited June 2017
    Thanks G for the kind words.

I am not "invested" in the syndicate financially but I am emotionally and get alot of enjoyment out of following it.

I appreciate all the time and work you put in and others who generate a strong team spirit.

Happy to do my small part and take some of the load.
  • edited June 2017

The biggest thanks goes to you Graham. Your intially idea has grown into what is a well organised TEAM effort nowadays. Everyone who helps out are also a credit to this team. 

I am just a fun punter, but really enjoy this sweats when we go live. 

....this time next year Rodney, we will be millionaires ;)

PS.  I vote yes to go for it Sunday.
  • edited June 2017
    Thamk you
    Very inspiring
  • edited June 2017
    Note for Roger.

To give you a break, in anticipation of a roll over at Worcester, I will prep the spreadsheet.

Cheers,

G
  • edited June 2017
    Nice post Graham, really great effort by all, I really think this will be a +EV for all the investors long term and I so much enjoy th buzz of following the races on jackpot days.
  • edited June 2017
    Great opening post Graham. Thanks for the mention.  Great effort is put in by you and the "operational" team, which I feel confident will pay dividends in the future.