You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

A weird question about the SPT freerolls

edited July 2017 in Poker Chat
Okay, first of all...

I am not too worried about this, in fact I am not worried at all about it. I am just very curious to find out what the rules/regulations and Sky's standpoint would be.

I haven't been playing much here the last couple of weeks as I have been sorting a few other things out. However, I qualified for the SPT bronze freeroll...

When this game starts I will be about 1/4 of the way across the atlantic on a plane (which as far as I am aware has wi-fi). So am I allowed to play the game?

Again, really not worried about this, just curious. Although having said that I guess it could be a fun way to pass some time.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    "6.2 Access to certain of our Services may not be legal for residents of, or persons located in, certain countries. "

"17.1 In certain circumstances, we may need to void any transactions and freeze the monies in your Account so that such funds will be temporarily unavailable for you to play with. We will do so where we have reason to believe that:

17.1.7 you are accessing our Services in contravention of the laws of the country in which you are located."

The T&Cs are tricky in the given scenario, probably because international law is murky when it comes to exactly what rules you follow when you are on a plane from Country A to Country B, flying over Country C on a plane from Country D.

I could be wrong, but the way that 17.1.7 reads to me, you don't have to be in a country you're allowed to play on Sky - You have to not be in a country where you're not allowed to play. Which is the same thing, but also totally not the same thing at all when it comes to planes and boats and stuff.

Difference being, if I had a boat, I could take it 100 miles out into the Atlantic and still play on Sky based on one interpretation, but not the other which would require me to be in British waters, if we're talking purely geographically.

The other issue is then jurisdiction of a boat/plane in international waters/airspace.

The way I see it, the problem is: If a crime takes place on a plane, where can you go on trial for the offense? The answer to that is any one of:

- The country the plane is registered in
    - The country in which the plane took off from
    - The country in which the plane is landing
    - The country you are flying over

(This does cause plenty of real life problems - Where to hold trials for the Lockerbie Bombing suspects, for instance)

Subsequently, are you 'in' the UK, the USA, or the country where the plane is registered? I'd go with "All of the above". Technically, online poker is not illegal in America, that's dealt with at state level. The UIGEA says "You can't place a bet that is illegal in the state in which the bet is made", but that comes back to "Are you in Nevada when you're in a plane to Vegas?", and is that question any different from "Are you in America when you're in a plane to Vegas?"

I think Tikay's "No" is probably correct. It's not as clear cut as "I'm not in the UK so I can't play" as I understand it. I do wonder how close you could get to America before the app has a tantrum and logs you out, though.

I can just imagine Tikay sending an e-mail to the suits tomorrow:

"Dear Sky Suits,

I have recently been made aware that players may be breaking our T&Cs by playing on planes which are registered in countries where online Poker is illegal.

As a result, I propose a new position be made within the security team, which requires a member of staff to monitor Flightradar24 at all times, and compare the locations of our players to the locations of planes flying in UK airspace.

I believe I would be a suitable candidate for such a role, and would like to put my name forward accordingly.

Yours sincerely,
    Tikay"

_____

On the same subject, can you play on Sky Poker in the US pre-clearance part of Dublin airport?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I think you could play if you

1. Had location switched off on your device .
    2 . Didn't post the question here.
    3. Didn't withdraw any monies whilst not in The U.K.  or Finland, Gibraltar etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: A weird question about the SPT freerolls:
    I think you could play if you 1. Had location switched off on your device . 2 . Didn't post the question here. 3. Didn't withdraw any monies whilst not in The U.K.  or Finland, Gibraltar etc.
    Posted by mumsie
    In practice, yeah there's ways to hide location.

Think OP was interested in finding out if it's within the rules out of curiosity rather than any desire to play, though.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: A weird question about the SPT freerolls : In practice, yeah there's ways to hide location. Think OP was interested in finding out if it's within the rules out of curiosity rather than any desire to play, though.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Yes, this was definitely the case (and to try and give Mr T a puzzler, although he didn't bite lol).

Cracking response further up the thread EvilPingu.

It does seem to drift into the greyest of grey areas.

I do wonder what Haysie's lawyer would make of it all :-)

Kind of looking forward to watching a marathon of 'Pablo Escobar: El Patron del Mal' anyway, so I will stick with that as my medium of entertainment. Only around 14 episodes through the 100+ of those on Netflix. Really interesting show if you get past some of the questionable production/acting although not as good as Narcos.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Pingu grinding the ts & cs <3
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Pingu grinding the ts & cs <3
    Posted by percival09
    #NocturnalProblems
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Fly over dutch airspace. You might not be able to play poker but you can join mile high club while smoking a spliff.