You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

Horse racing advice please

edited July 2017 in Betting Chat
Is this normal?

I bet £10 EW on a horse, total outlay £20.
It was top 2 pay 1/4 of the odds or something similar.

After the bet was placed, a horse dropped out of the race and I got the message 'Rule 4, 20p deducted'.  I read the rules and it basically said 20p in every £1 deducted due to less runners'.  New one on me (I don't bet horses often) but left it as that.

However, my horse came second, and the bet paid out zero, saying it was a looser and only paid top 1 due to less runners.  Is this normal, to change the paying places AFTER a bet is placed?  I would have thought that they should have cancelled the EW part of bet, or at least honour two paying places, should this happen.

I don't wanna whine to support if this is normal, just seems a bit rubbish.
Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    problem with non runners in certain fields Mr White and unfortunately the E/w bet still stands. 

Problem when 16 horse race goes down to 15, 16 pays four places , 15 and lower to 8 pays three. (unless you get special e/w terms)
    When 8 runners go down to seven, six or five only two places 
    When 4 runners you have to get the WINNER !!!!! even on the place part of the bet. 

Does seem a bit unfair but they are the rules and of course you shouldnt  win money for getting second or third in a four horse race. 

I always tend not to back e/w in small field for pricesly the problem you have identified. 

All bookies play these rules unless of course they are doing specials. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Horse racing advice please:
    Is this normal? I bet £10 EW on a horse, total outlay £20. It was top 2 pay 1/4 of the odds or something similar. After the bet was placed, a horse dropped out of the race and I got the message 'Rule 4, 20p deducted'.  I read the rules and it basically said 20p in every £1 deducted due to less runners'.  New one on me (I don't bet horses often) but left it as that. However, my horse came second, and the bet paid out zero, saying it was a looser and only paid top 1 due to less runners.  Is this normal, to change the paying places AFTER a bet is placed?  I would have thought that they should have cancelled the EW part of bet, or at least honour two paying places, should this happen. I don't wanna whine to support if this is normal, just seems a bit rubbish. Thanks in advance 
    Posted by MrWh1te
    I'm pretty sure in this scenario you would have a bet that is £10 win and £10 place at 1/1 odds so effectively if your horse had won you would have had a £20 win minus the rule 4 deduction, hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    viagret thank you for that.  serves me right for betting on things I know nothing about :p
    I am used to bets being voided in the sports I bet on, not changed without being able to do anything, so ive learnt the hard way.  At least it wasn't for much money!

snuffer thank you, that makes sense (and was what I was expecting to happen).  I didn't realise bookies could change bets after they had taken the money for them, I would have thought it would be a case of honouring original bet or refunding the EW part of the bet as it had changed.  What I bet on (that the horse would finish top 2) did happen, (it came 2nd), but due to the rules as viagret explained, I lost due to the bookies changing the bet after it was placed
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Effectively your place bet was still honoured by the bookies but the place position was 1st only, it sucks I know but had your horse won your place bet would have paid win odds, so it works both ways but unlucky on this occasion.