You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

WSOP - Hesp Blumstein **SPOILER WARNING**

edited July 2017 in Poker Chat

So for those that know the big hand of last night.... Does anyone else get away here?

Im 99% sure I tank here and find a fold.. for ladder purposes this is not a clash I want to get into and Blumstein's bluff percentage against Hesps calling range has to be close to zero right?

He has called all ins light on multiple occasions.

For those that dont know this is the hand as it played out -:

Blumstein aa (around 85 million chips)

Hesp A10 (around 115 million chips)

Players were 1st and 2nd in chips and held over half the chips im play at this point (1 stack of 50million 3 around 20 and the rest short)

Blumstein raises 2.2 milion pre it folds around to Hesp who flats from the BB

Flop A 7 5 (Rainbow)

Check Check

Turn 10 (still rainbow no flush possible)

Hesp Checks

Blumstein fires 3 million

Hesp raises to 7 Million

Blumstein makes it 17

Hesp goes all in.... 

Do you get away from this after the 4bet? do you flat call? Do you shove? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to WSOP - Hesp Blumstein **SPOILER WARNING**:
    So for those that know the big hand of last night.... Does anyone else get away here? Im 99% sure I tank here and find a fold.. for ladder purposes this is not a clash I want to get into and Blumstein's bluff percentage against Hesps calling range has to be close to zero right? He has called all ins light on multiple occasions. For those that dont know this is the hand as it played out -: Blumstein aa (around 85 million chips) Hesp A10 (around 115 million chips) Players were 1st and 2nd in chips and held over half the chips im play at this point (1 stack of 50million 3 around 20 and the rest short) Blumstein raises 2.2 milion pre it folds around to Hesp who flats from the BB Flop A 7 5 (Rainbow) Check Check Turn 10 (still rainbow no flush possible) Hesp Checks Blumstein fires 3 million Hesp raises to 7 Million Blumstein makes it 17 Hesp goes all in....  Do you get away from this after the 4bet? do you flat call? Do you shove? What are your thoughts?
    Posted by Itsover4u
    With no flushes/legit draws I think we can fold after the 4 bet.  His range is so nutted here.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Allin looks wreckless imo, especially considering its the two biggest stacks on the wsop main ft
    Is blumstein gonna fold better ? very unlikely
    Is blumstein gonna call with worse ?  no

Depends on how aggro blumstein has been playing but i dont mind calling and reevaluating on the river, his hand does look very nutted like said above though
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Ironically I think the fact Hesp holds an ace should make it look more likely that his opponent could have 55 or 77. Hesp can only think he is beating stuff like AK/AQ/AJ or maybe a worse 2 pair. It is unlikely opponent is going to call a 4 bet shove with these hands though so I don't see the value in 4 bet shoving. With these stacks I personally feel the AT is a trivial call/possible fold when the 17 million bet is made and then re-evaluate on the river. 

Opponents 4 bet calling range surely has to be weighted more towards sets than stuff that top 2 beats. Was and am hoping that Hesp does well but think the 4 bet shove was an error. Then again I don't know the history between the 2 and maybe he thought he could get action on a 4 bet shove from worse hands and possibly almost lock up 1st position right there and then. Didn't look likely to me though.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Don't think he played that hand badly-the "check/check" made his hand look huge. For me that was just a cooler.

He has a bad habit of folding the best hand to c-bets, and flatting with QQ....
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Firstly, against the only person who can do me damage I am calling the turn. I don't think at that point I'm beat, and I'm mainly calling because I want his worse hands and bluffs in. 
    Secondly, as played I'm sigh folding. Sigh, because we have such a big hand but we are obviously against a set. He easily has 5s, 7s or 10s here. Im not thinking he has AA though. If it comes a 10 I'm going broke! 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: WSOP - Hesp Blumstein **SPOILER WARNING**:
    Don't think he played that hand badly-the "check/check" made his hand look huge. For me that was just a cooler. He has a bad habit of folding the best hand to c-bets, and flatting with QQ....
    Posted by Essexphil
    Don't entirely disagree but I think the check-check polarised opponents hand towards either 'not a lot' or 'monsters' (such as sets) and little inbetween such as 2 pair combos which Hesp beats. When Hesp's opponent goes from check-check to calling a 4 bet jam I personally think he is showing up with monster hands almost all the times he calls. The 'not a lot' hands are chucked in the muck.

Who knows though, he got to the FT, I certainly didn't. Just how it looks to me.

I suspect from the reports that it is entirely possible that Hesp beat himself. He started super aggro and showed a lot of mediocre hands to the table. I am guessing he hoped he was going to get one of his opponents to tilt and do something stupid and thought this was that time.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

i like the thinking so far.

to add one thing...  supposing blumstein didn't have AA.  If he had anything else, would he have called the all-in?  does that help to judge good or bad play by hesp?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    i like the thinking so far. to add one thing...  supposing blumstein didn't have AA.  If he had anything else, would he have called the all-in?  does that help to judge good or bad?
    Posted by aussie09

If he doesn't have AA then he has one of the other sets.

Vs Hesp I imagine he calls with any set.

So wreckless to shove, you might do a few more chips on the river but really no need to go almost broke in that spot.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I think its a super gross spot for Hesp. I don't think that Blumstein has many 55/77 in his range- especially vs Hesp. I'm confident he would just look to go 3 streets for value vs Hesp's Ax. Hesp has shown he likes to call down light, if he has flopped top pair he is probably just going to pay off, meaning checking 55/77 is losing a lot of value. The fact Hesp has AT means he heavilly blocks the value hands that Blumstein is representing with his line, leaving Blumstein with one combination of AA and one combination of TT. That being said I don't think 4 bet jamming achieves much, other than prevent Blumstein from being able to have bluffs and value owning ourselves when he happens to have us beat. Blumstein's line does look very strong, but I think AT is actually the best hand Hesp can have here to call down vs the hands Blumstein is representing, which imo is TT/AA, which is only 2 combinations of hands. It's also worth noting that they only started the hand 75bb effective, AT on A57T is a massive hand, although is only a very good bluffcatcher vs Blumstein's flop 3bet.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I myself am never ever doing a shove, the only calls i'll get are from better hand. 

In Blumstein view
    Hesp's Ch/R will be considered polarized He's either attempting to bluff hands such as 99 or extracting value from Blumstein's suited A. The Ch/R will have made Blumstein polarize hesp already. Hesp will be expected to have either a mid pair which he's turned into a bluff or holds the set. Blumstein is  going to reraise hands such as AK AQ. He should have been polarized in a range that is weak A being turned into A10s+ or has actually got the hand himself therefore hesp's best option is to call.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Having read some of the things I have about Hesp today...

I stand by my personal opinion that the 4 bet jam was an mistake however I feel I sort of missed the point a bit. He doesn't seem to present himself as some baller pro who is looking for cold 4 bets and super thin value 3 bets etc etc but instead as someone who was just enjoying himself and enjoying the ride. I don't think winning was the be all and end all and he is not looking to be a pro poker player. I had not realised this as I hadn't had the chance to watch much of his play yet.

In that light I am sad that he could not have won the whole thing. It would have promoted poker in a positive light and also the fact he is a UK player may have helped the game in the UK to experience some more growth.

Got to appreciate his taste in fashion too. I mean even Tikay loved the jacket he wore and we all know how fussy Tikay is with his fashion selections.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I think that John Hesp and me are exactly the same.  Well, apart from two things; he is a better poker player and has just added £2M to his fortune. 

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I think that John Hesp and me are exactly the same.  Well, apart from two things; he is a better poker player and has just added £2M to his fortune.   
    Posted by aussie09
    So ur 64
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Posted by aussie09

And he's got better dress sense?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: WSOP - Hesp Blumstein **SPOILER WARNING** : So ur 64
    Posted by rabdeniro
    feel like i'm 64.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: WSOP - Hesp Blumstein **SPOILER WARNING** : And he's got better dress sense?
    Posted by FCHD
    yes, that must be true as i really like his jacket.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    meh, easy game when you know the answer.  Every poker player the World over can get it right.

He has blockers to the sets of aces and tens.  You calling here with a set of fives in Blumstein's shoes?  Fedor Holz does it, and explains he has the blockers to the top 2 sets, do you say the same?

Yes, I call, he only has AT you all reply...

Dare say Hesp doesn't think that deep, but not at all convinced it is that straightforward.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Completely agree.

Important to remember that he would have been told that he had been bluffed off the best hand several times in the previous segment.

Feel he was scared of being shoved on the river after a K Q or J-his shove was to get AK etc to fold. Those type hands would have been far more common in that spot