You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The future of online poker

edited July 2009 in Poker Chat
I've noticed a few trends in the last couple of years.

1. The players have changed. Most now have at least some sort of idea how to play the game; many of those around in the early days have simply given up playing. They were good days!
2. The game has changed. You just can't push people around as easily as before, the game is much more aggressive.
3. Poker has changed. Modern poker seems to be less about building pots, saving bets and making subtle moves to squeeze that extra bit of money out of people. Now, it's more about putting people on a range and getting your chips in ahead.

So what's the future? In the not too distant future, I can see no-limit hold 'em dying off. The whole game will be about folding or shoving based on ranges and will be too variable. Tournaments are going this way already. Limit will then make a big comeback (already, the very biggest cash games are all limit). This is probably a good thing as limit requires more subtlety and more skill.
Unfortunately, there will only be good limit players playing each other, passing the same money around. As the house takes its rake, the amount of money swilling around will diminish and the poker craze will be over.
The only way to keep it going will be to introduce new games and attract new blood. But what new blood will enter a small pool of sharks, and how long will they stick around?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    In Response to The future of online poker:
    I've noticed a few trends in the last couple of years. 1. The players have changed. Most now have at least some sort of idea how to play the game; many of those around in the early days have simply given up playing. They were good days! 2. The game has changed. You just can't push people around as easily as before, the game is much more aggressive. 3. Poker has changed. Modern poker seems to be less about building pots, saving bets and making subtle moves to squeeze that extra bit of money out of people. Now, it's more about putting people on a range and getting your chips in ahead. So what's the future? In the not too distant future, I can see no-limit hold 'em dying off. The whole game will be about folding or shoving based on ranges and will be too variable. Tournaments are going this way already. Limit will then make a big comeback (already, the very biggest cash games are all limit). This is probably a good thing as limit requires more subtlety and more skill. Unfortunately, there will only be good limit players playing each other, passing the same money around. As the house takes its rake, the amount of money swilling around will diminish and the poker craze will be over. The only way to keep it going will be to introduce new games and attract new blood. But what new blood will enter a small pool of sharks, and how long will they stick around?
    Posted by BigBluster
    Very good post

I personally think there will be a slow move away from NL holdem to Omaha and Raz and others you only really see on H.O.R.S.E events
    The pro`s will always look for value and if it`s not in hold em then they move to another
    Doyle and Todd Brunson probably play more Omaha than hold em
    Gary

• edited July 2009
    Omaha is coming to Sky soon too. There could well be easy pickings early on as people learn the game, just like with hold 'em a couple of years back.

I just might buy a few books to learn how to play it.
  • FBSFBS
    edited July 2009
    OOOHHHH

RAZZ

now that is a fun game .....
  • edited July 2009
    HORSE and Omaha are becoming more popular these days and I can see more events on-line with these games. But i can't see texas hold'em no-limit/limit ever dying out or fading away - I hope not. Think how long it has been around already?
  • edited July 2009
    I'm sure Omaha will be the next big thing, it's a natural progression from Hold Em.
  • edited July 2009
    I think NLH will continue its boom at least in low and mid stakes for some time yet while more and more people come in and think they have 'what it takes' to take down just one tournament and get that one big win.  I think in a year or 2 it will die down a bit as slowly people realise its not quite that easy.  But then the field left will very much be more elite than ever with the vast majority having a good grasp.
  • edited July 2009

Pot Limit Omagh,class