You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

Russian Roulette 'regs'

edited July 2017 in Poker Chat
Is there any reason for that to be a thing on here...?! :D

(ps. there is a reason to ask as they are always clogging up the HUs menu with their 'filled' seats too, I did ask about a filter to not show RR games in the feedback section here, not sure why there isn't a filter).

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    pps. would be interested if anyone admits to being one of these regs too.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    People playing them on mass are losing money. They can sometimes be useful if you need a quick amount of poker points to reach the next level up in the rewards payments.

You often see players regging in mass numbers if there is some sort of rake race on, RRs are included in these.

Agree that its pretty annoying when you see dozens of RRs in the lobby with 1/2 regged.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I hold my hand up to playing these now and again.  Don't really see the issue with them and no idea why anyone thinks they're somehow "shameful" and something that people wouldn't want to admit to.  I generally play them if I need points towards next level or if aiming for priority for some big promo.  I have been fairly lucky with them though - I tend to allow myself £110 to play them - usuallly £5.50 or £11.00 ones and will play til that's gone.  Touch wood - I've generally had good runs with them and usually actually ended the games UP instead of down - even allowing for the rake.

To me they're the same as roulette - flip of coin as to whether or not you'll get lucky lol.  
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: Russian Roulette 'regs':
    I hold my hand up to playing these now and again.  Don't really see the issue with them and no idea why anyone thinks they're somehow "shameful" and something that people wouldn't want to admit to.  I generally play them if I need points towards next level or if aiming for priority for some big promo.  I have been fairly lucky with them though - I tend to allow myself £110 to play them - usuallly £5.50 or £11.00 ones and will play til that's gone.  Touch wood - I've generally had good runs with them and usually actually ended the games UP instead of down - even allowing for the rake. To me they're the same as roulette - flip of coin as to whether or not you'll get lucky lol.  
    Posted by IrishRose
    Rose,

It's your money to spend as you see fit, & you are right, there is certainly no need to consider them "shameful". Folks who play Roulette, Blackjack or other House Games are rarely criticised, but they are equally hard to win at long term. I think Roulette is the most popular gambling game on the planet, in fact. I'm pretty sure most who play Roulette know the odds are against them, but they just like a gamble.

I could name 3 or 4 PLO8 players here who limp or call EVERY HAND & every street - I dread to think how much they lose, but it's a good deal more than 10%.

When I go to Vegas I often have a few spins on the Slots. I know full well the House will always win long term, but I just like a little gamble now & then.

PS - If you buy a National Lottery ticket only half of the ticket cost goes into the Prize Pool, so you've lost 50% before the Draw is even made.    

• Options
    edited July 2017
    There's nothing 'shameful' about playing them of course (though I find the choice odd must admit).

But they are surely very different from all of the other Poker games offered here (as they're not really Poker)? So surely some filter or placing them separate would make sense?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    There's nothing 'shameful' about playing them of course (though I find the choice odd must admit). But they are surely very different from all of the other Poker games offered here (as they're not really Poker)? So surely some filter or placing them separate would make sense?
    Posted by swanstu
    Well, you know, its different strokes for different folks. You said the same things about DYM's a few weeks ago. We are all different.

As to their current placement in the Lobby, I daresay they are where they are for good commercial reasons.

PS - have a good weekend Stu.   
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: Russian Roulette 'regs' : Well, you know, its different strokes for different folks. You said the same things about DYM's a few weeks ago.
    Posted by Tikay10

:D

Not exactly the same things for DYMs, though I did say some aspects were 'similar' in terms of luck - obviously RRs involve luck a lot more, even than the DYMs do, lol (as that's 100% in this case!).

You would agree though surely that they are very different from all the other normal poker games on here? There is also an issue with customer service too, as they do disrupt the interfaces for the lobby, as goldenballz post also said above.

Cheers,
    Stu.

• Options
    edited July 2017

Anyway, I get the feeling that everytime you make a post about such things as formats and nature of the different games, it's not appreciated on here - so if no-one else is interested than I'll just have to accept that. Once again, fair enough and each to their own as Tikay said...

Should add, I'm not knocking the site generally and I really appreciate many aspects of this poker site, only trying to suggest constructive questions that might improve some elements for the regular poker players.

All the best,

Stu.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    [QUOTE]Anyway, I get the feeling that everytime you make a post about such things as formats and nature of the different games, it's not appreciated on here - so if no-one else is interested than I'll just have to accept that. Once again, fair enough and each to their own as Tikay said... Should add, I'm not knocking the site generally and I really appreciate many aspects of this poker site, only trying to suggest constructive questions that might improve some elements for the regular poker players. All the best, Stu.
    Posted by swanstu

Depends on the tone of the question or post.

I think genuine posts and queries will always be appreciated, whereas posts that are subtle (or not so subtle) digs at various formats of the game will not be appreciated, especially by those who partake in said format.

I'm not sure as to why you're so curious about variations of poker you clearly have no interest in playing.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Anyway, I get the feeling that everytime you make a post about such things as formats and nature of the different games, it's not appreciated on here - so if no-one else is interested than I'll just have to accept that. Once again, fair enough and each to their own as Tikay said... Should add, I'm not knocking the site generally and I really appreciate many aspects of this poker site, only trying to suggest constructive questions that might improve some elements for the regular poker players. All the best, Stu.
    Posted by swanstu

Hi Stu, 

I get the slightest impression you've got the knock here, I've read every post and I think everyone offers a slightly different view based on their view.

What kind of responses were you hoping for ?

• Options
    edited July 2017

Guys, I really can't be bothered to get into another discussion about this, as no-one else obviously cares. I do find it odd, maybe strange even, for players to choose to play them regularly, but that is all. (Mumsie - Not re-interpreted, to be 'shameful' for example, as seems to get done on here - not my words, but others in reply).

I also find it odd that purely luck based games are mixed with the normal games, and there's no option to 'filter' as there is with other game features - e.g. stake, speed.

I've said my piece about this type of game/lack of filter for these, so won't add to it anymore, anyone else is welcome to if they want to (or not).

Cheers,
    Stu.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: Russian Roulette 'regs' : [QUOTE ]I'm not sure as to why you're so curious about variations of poker you clearly have no interest in playing.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Had to just reply as you asked me directly - for the DYMs, as I said then, I do sometimes play them (though not fave). The RRs question (this post) try reading again - it's been said several times in mine and others posts here that it's about the question to filter them out of the lobby view, as you would for several other aspects of games. So that is my 'interest' in this question too.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    The request/suggestion for a filter is a valid one and the responses you received were varied including people saying why people play them and others saying they do play them and all responded respectfully to you. So I'm not sure what you wanted or expected as responses that wouldn't have seen you get so precious about it all?!

Jeez why is everyone so sensitive?!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: Russian Roulette 'regs' : Had to just reply as you asked me directly - for the DYMs, as I said then, I do sometimes play them (though not fave). The RRs question (this post) try reading again - it's been said several times in mine and others posts here that it's about the question to filter them out of the lobby view, as you would for several other aspects of games. So that is my 'interest' in this question too.
    Posted by swanstu

I don't need to read anything again.

The thread is title ''Russian Roulette regs''. This has nothing to do with filters.

The primary question was ''is there any reason for that to be a thing on here?'', again, nothing to do with filters.

Then you make a point that you have previously asked elsewhere on the forum about filters. So why would you need to ask again when Sky James replied saying ''it is not currently possible to filter out RRs at present''. This looks a pretty resounding answer to me.

You then wonder if anyone would admit to being an RR reg. Again, nothing to do with filters.

So basically, your filters smokescreen doesn't wash with me. I think you know what you're doing.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Fair enough JD, maybe felt like I was being told I was being somehow disrespectful/innapropriate by having my rather bemused view of these luck games (and therefore those who chose them).

Yes, I would like to focus more on the filter issue. It's more important.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Fair enough JD, maybe felt like I was being told I was being somehow disrespectful/innapropriate by having my rather bemused view of these luck games (and therefore those who chose them). Yes, I would like to focus more on the filter issue. It's more important.
    Posted by swanstu

There we go again.

And you wonder why people give you blunt answers....

Why does anyone do anything? Why do you care?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: Russian Roulette 'regs' : I don't need to read anything again. The thread is title ''Russian Roulette regs''. This has nothing to do with filters. The primary question was ''is there any reason for that to be a thing on here?'', again, nothing to do with filters. Then you make a point that you have previously asked elsewhere on the forum about filters. So why would you need to ask again when Sky James replied saying ''it is not currently possible to filter out RRs at present''. This looks a pretty resounding answer to me. You then wonder if anyone would admit to being an RR reg. Again, nothing to do with filters. So basically, your filters smokescreen doesn't wash with me. I think you know what you're doing.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

I was also actually genuinely interested in those names that appear over and over playing only RRs (i.e. regs) - would love to know how they think about it. But as above, the filter issue is still more important IMO.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: Russian Roulette 'regs' : Rose, It's your money to spend as you see fit, & you are right, there is certainly no need to consider them "shameful". Folks who play Roulette, Blackjack or other House Games are rarely criticised, but they are equally hard to win at long term. I think Roulette is the most popular gambling game on the planet, in fact. I'm pretty sure most who play Roulette know the odds are against them, but they just like a gamble.   I could name 3 or 4 PLO8 players here who limp or call EVERY HAND & every street - I dread to think how much they lose, but it's a good deal more than 10%.   When I go to Vegas I often have a few spins on the Slots. I know full well the House will always win long term, but I just like a little gamble now & then. PS - If you buy a National Lottery ticket only half of the ticket cost goes into the Prize Pool, so you've lost 50% before the Draw is even made.        
    Posted by Tikay10
    BUT YOU CAN WIN MILLIONS
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: Russian Roulette 'regs' : I was also actually genuinely interested in those names that appear over and over playing only RRs (i.e. regs) - would love to know how they think about it. But as above, the filter issue is still more important IMO.
    Posted by swanstu

If you are being genuine then it helps to portray yourself that way....

''Just curious to know why people grind RRs, any particular reason''

''Why are these even a thing?'', before claiming to have a bemused view on the games and the people that play them.

Which is the better approach?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: Russian Roulette 'regs' : There we go again. And you wonder why people give you blunt answers.... Why does anyone do anything? Why do you care?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

I would have thought you (more than most on here) would have understood making posts that are a little on the provocative/cheeky in style........... ;)

Just to point out if being 'bemused' is a crime, jeez...

• Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: Russian Roulette 'regs' : I would have thought you (more than most on here) would have understood making posts that are a little on the provocative/cheeky in style........... ;) Just to point out if being 'bemused' is a crime, jeez...
    Posted by swanstu

Yes but I don't get all precious over the inevitable replies.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Ok, I'll try to be less precious.

If anyone has any views on the filter issue that would be good too.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    i use filters in me ciggies ..it used to be roaches but thats another story :)
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I use filters for my coffee.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: Russian Roulette 'regs' : Well, you know, its different strokes for different folks. You said the same things about DYM's a few weeks ago. We are all different.   As to their current placement in the Lobby, I daresay they are where they are for good commercial reasons. PS - have a good weekend Stu.   
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi Stu i would say Tikay has answered your question on filters. It makes business sense not to filter them out there are a quick profit for sky, a game lasts less then a minute if each player pays £5.50 that's a £1 profit in less than a minute good business from sky's point of view. Sky want more people to play these games not less for quick profit, why would they let player's filter them out. Best just to ignore them.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Is somebody paying hhyf to put down people that start new threads?

Does he work for a rival chat forum?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Is somebody paying hhyf to put down people that start new threads? Does he work for a rival chat forum?
    Posted by gerardirl

Yep, lucrative business.

Post more please Gerard, maybe start some threads.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Is somebody paying hhyf to put down people that start new threads? Does he work for a rival chat forum?
    Posted by gerardirl
    Did you even read the thread ?

Any taughts on the op or just a stupid dig at a forum poster.

This is getting silly I really think people should act like adults.