You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

nl20 AA vs Set

Looking for some advice/thoughts on this hand.

When villain check min raised me on the flop, I have to be honest, it was screaming of a set imo.  I see the min raise with flush draws often but being oop surely this is too risky.  If he was in position, I could put a lot more emphasis on the fd being more likely a part of his range.

So, now what do I do on the flop.  Even though it was screaming of a set, I thought AA was too strong, and too weak poker to just fold here.
So I went down the horrible (?) line of just calling down, hoping he would make smaller value bets, or maybe even check river if a scare card hit, so as to save me some of my stack,  which incidently saved me £4 lol.

So what line should I be taking here?  Fold flop?, shove flop?, fold turn? fold river? etc etc

any advice much appreciated,

Thanks.
x
Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £35.35
JCR Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £13.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

DORADO Fold        
Swerv444 Fold        
OMahonyO Raise   £0.80 £1.10 £27.54
x Call   £0.70 £1.80 £34.65
JCR Call   £0.60 £2.40 £12.40
Flop

x Check        
JCR Check        
OMahonyO Bet   £1.80 £4.20 £25.74
x Raise   £3.60 £7.80 £31.05
JCR Fold        
OMahonyO Call   £1.80 £9.60 £23.94
Turn

x Bet   £4.80 £14.40 £26.25
OMahonyO Call   £4.80 £19.20 £19.14
River

• J

x Bet   £14.40 £33.60 £11.85
OMahonyO Call   £14.40 £48.00 £4.74
x Show

OMahonyO Muck
  • A
  • A

x Win Three 9s £46.20   £58.05

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Hi Mahony,

Never Nice to see and a tough one to get away from.

The only thing I could see you doing different would be to come over the top of his post flop raise, thus givin him the sense of slow playing his set, you can then if you sense a set bet enough on turn to make him think that you will pump on the river (thus only applicable if villan flat calls) and maybe giving him the check raise option on the river to give you the free showdown.

IMO the money is going in and with Aces I don't know if I want to put him on the set and just hope that for once luck isn't going to rear its ugly hand ...

I think at this stage my thoughts would turn from extracting value to keeping the pot as cheap as possible for a showdown.

May your set crack his rockets next time :)
  • edited March 2010
    Very similar to a hand I played and posted from a session at nl100 last week.

The answer is I don't know what to do here! - ill keep an eye on the thread, i dont think theres alot you CAN do judging from the replies I got. 
    DOHH
  • edited March 2010
    i think flatting the flop is fine, we dont want to come over the top as ur only ever getting called by better and folding out worse

he could have TT/JJ several straight/flush combos, maybe Ah9, Ah3h, 45 etc etc so flat and re-evaluate turn is ok

without any reads on villan you will struggle to get away altho 45hh obv gets there on the turn so now when he bets again you really only beat Ah3h so without reads i fold turn. if you know he plays his draws agressive then pretty much shove any non H/non straight turn
  • edited March 2010
    i play it exactly the same as you did... at least you saved yourself 20-25BBs.
  • edited March 2010
    Played perfectly, you lose sometimes in poker it happens.
  • edited March 2010
    Nothing wrong with your play here.... if you was both deeper you would have saved... standard though.. Just very unlucky.. Just fold em pre flop next time!!