You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Chip and a Chair Stories

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
Was playing live on saturday night in a re-buy comp and was pretty card dead during the first few levels! after the break, when the rebuy period was over, i found myself on around 4k with the blinds at 300-600 so when it folded to me on the button i smashed them all in and got snap called by the sb who had a similar sized stack!  she turned over 88 which had my K 6 on all sorts! the eights held up and i stood up to leave when it was announced i had 200 chips back! 33% of a big blind! haha! There were 16 players left at this point with 4 getting paid! Oh dear is hear u say! But after a few blind shoves and some big hands i found myself back up to 4k and then another double up put me on 8k and we were down to the final table of 9! During the 1st orbit i got a few shoves through and increased my stack to 11k! eventually i shipped them in again with AQ soooted and after a long dwell up the button calls for 75% of his stack with AJ and hits is jack on the turn! damn! If my AQ had held up i would have had a real chance of cashing! i busted in 8th eventually!

Was just wandering if any one else had any other chip and a chair stories to share!

Comments

• edited March 2010

Famously, Straus's 1982 win was a comeback after being down to a single $500 chip, supposedly the origin of the common tournament poker aphorism: "a chip and a chair." Although accounts vary, the most common story is that he pushed his chips into the pot, was called and lost the hand. Getting up, he discovered he had one chip left under a napkin on the table.

Because he didn't declare himself all-in, the tournament directors allowed him to continue playing. Modern lore says that this feat occurred at the final table, but the 2005 book All In, which documents the history of the WSOP, confirms that it occurred early in the second day, and did leave him with a $500 chip before his comeback.

• edited March 2010

Famously, Jack Straus's 1982 win was a comeback after being down to a single $500 chip, supposedly the origin of the common tournament poker aphorism: "a chip and a chair." Although accounts vary, the most common story is that he pushed his chips into the pot, was called and lost the hand. Getting up, he discovered he had one chip left under a napkin on the table.

Because he didn't declare himself all-in, the tournament directors allowed him to continue playing. Modern lore says that this feat occurred at the final table, but the 2005 book All In, which documents the history of the WSOP, confirms that it occurred early in the second day, and did leave him with a $500 chip before his comeback.

• edited March 2010
    Last week on Sky, I was down to 23 chips in a deepstack, I managed to get it back to 5040 then went out when my AK was busted by AQ.

About 4 years ago I was playing in the $7.5k on a Tribeca site and made the final table only to be busted down to 400 chips with the average stack at 80k. I went on to win the tournament :o)
  • edited March 2010
    £55 scary sit n go 3 minute blinds on sky poker, i was playing whilst drunk and shoved all in with A6 and got called by AQ, i didnt hit my 6 and was left with 25 chips, by some miracle i came back and won and his defo my best comeback to date, people rarely believe thay can do it with so little chips but it does happen and will keep on happening, all you after do is believe!!!! i dont so i'm pretty much stumped
  • edited March 2010
    Ok listen to this i kid you not.Same as you webby a SCARY game yesterday.Me and matey h/u i win a massive pot and i have 17,920 chips versus his 80.He was obviously auto all-in for several hands and won them all.Then the poker gods conspired to give us good h/u starting hands and he WON the lot.lol dav