You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should i get away from this?

I'm not a regular cash player and was just chilling this morning. I didn't know the player here and I had only played a few hands at this table. This was an unraised pot, and i had A10, hit TPTK and I check raised when button looked like he was stealing. He reshoves his stack. Should i fold or is this too tight?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
GREGHOGG Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £40.25
themackem Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £46.96
  Your hole cards
  • A

ethical Fold     
D4 Fold     
In2Win Fold     
TARRAS_TIM Call  £0.50 £1.25 £23.36
GREGHOGG Call  £0.25 £1.50 £40.00
themackem Check     
Flop

GREGHOGG Check     
themackem Check     
TARRAS_TIM Bet  £1.25 £2.75 £22.11
GREGHOGG Raise  £5.00 £7.75 £35.00
themackem Fold     
TARRAS_TIM All-in  £22.11 £29.86 £0.00
GREGHOGG Call  £18.36 £48.22 £16.64
Turn

River

• A

GREGHOGG Show
  • A

TARRAS_TIM Show

TARRAS_TIM Win Four 5s £46.42  £46.42

Comments

• edited July 2009

I would shove every time on that rainbow board Greg, as you said you did not know him and most people would have just called your re-raise with a set/trips

With the 5 on the turn it may have then been possible to get away from a shove but when the river landed they were always going to go all in m8

Very unlucky m8
  • edited July 2009
    I think you can get away from it. He's seen you check raise into 2 people and he's still willing to go with his hand. Is he really going to make that move with K,10 or 99 or something else you beat?

I think he can take this line with JJ+ and sets by which you are crushed. He could also have straight and flush draws like Ad2d or a flush draw and overs like KdJd in which case you are basically flipping.

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Should i get away from this?:
    I think you can get away from it. He's seen you check raise into 2 people and he's still willing to go with his hand. Is he really going to make that move with K,10 or 99 or something else you beat? I think he can take this line with JJ+ and sets by which you are crushed. He could also have straight and flush draws like Ad2d or a flush draw and overs like KdJd in which case you are basically flipping.
    Posted by stokesyph
    Yes, on relection, i agree 

During the hand i was hoping that he had a flush draw or a k10, I was basicially hoping that he was overplaying his holding, or that he just didnt believe my check raise. Just shows that if you dont have any knowlege of the player you should take the safest option and fold here. Actually, he played it well and i was the fish!

Thanks guys
  • edited July 2009
    OOPs

Did not see the diamonds there, probably why i loose i guess
    LOL
  • edited July 2009
    My notes on that guy have him as loose and more than willing to shove with flush draws so I'd have gone all in vs him no worries!  Perhaps a raise pre with the mighty A10 coulda defined his range for you a little bit more but very hard OOP.
  • edited July 2009
    My notes on that guy have him as loose and more than willing to shove with flush draws so I'd have gone all in vs him no worries!  Perhaps a raise pre with the mighty A10 coulda defined his range for you a little bit more but very hard OOP.
    Posted by phil12uk
    Thanks Phil, my point is that i didnt have any info on the player at all. If you didnt know the player would you still have called?

By the way A10 in the sb, i would not normally raise here because i am out of position, i want to see a favourable flop also there is a certain mackem sitting behind me.
  • edited July 2009

his play is worse than yours here in my opinion.  his shove on that flop doesnt make a lot of sense....with the pre flop action we can rule out overpairs cos he certainly is limping his button with those hands.  he has a hand that is very disguised although perhaps not deliberately and he almost kills his chances of getting action with it.

i think you should flat call the flop for 2 reasons. 1) if he is holding a very strong hand you get to keep the pot small and avoid losing as much as you did 2) if he has a hand like 10 9 your reraise would then potentially be killing your action.

on this occasion if you flat call the flop bet that turn card puts you in a position where you are likely to lose less money. the 5 on the turn will hopefully slow you down a little esp as your opponent can be holding a wide range of hands when he's open limping the button.  also the fact that he hits quads on the turn means he wont be forcing the action as aggressively because he would be a fool (quite possible) to try and scare you off.

as played i think you should prob fold although its a tight decision. 

• edited July 2009
    his play is worse than yours here in my opinion.  his shove on that flop doesnt make a lot of sense....with the pre flop action we can rule out overpairs cos he certainly is limping his button with those hands.  he has a hand that is very disguised although perhaps not deliberately and he almost kills his chances of getting action with it. i think you should flat call the flop for 2 reasons. 1) if he is holding a very strong hand you get to keep the pot small and avoid losing as much as you did 2) if he has a hand like 10 9 your reraise would then potentially be killing your action. on this occasion if you flat call the flop bet that turn card puts you in a position where you are likely to lose less money. the 5 on the turn will hopefully slow you down a little esp as your opponent can be holding a wide range of hands when he's open limping the button.  also the fact that he hits quads on the turn means he wont be forcing the action as aggressively because he would be a fool (quite possible) to try and scare you off. as played i think you should prob fold although its a tight decision. 
    Posted by huuuuume
    Hi thanks alot for commenting huuuuume. The flat call to lose less money is a very good point, and if i did this id like to think id get away on the turn.  The size of my reraise (quite big) was partly to find out what mackem had because if he gives me action im outta there:) Ideally i want him out of my pot
  • edited July 2009
    id of gone all in pre flop greg, but saying that, i am nutz

ul m8
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Should i get away from this? :  By the way A10 in the sb, i would not normally raise here because i am out of position, i want to see a favourable flop Posted by GREGHOGG
    Problem is mate you did get a favourable flop on the face of things by limping and flopping TPTK!  Jeez A10 really is a horrid hand to get lol