You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bad luck or just crazy players

edited March 2017 in Poker Chat
please tell me theres other players on this site who have the same thoughts. I have only been playing poker for around a year now, so things are still new to me, but is the right tactic to play poker, is to go gung ho on every single hand that is played? A large amount of players i play against consistantly raise, re-raise and go chip crazy even when blinds are set at 20-40? Ive had to fold many decent hands because of this betting strategy, and when i do go for it with a pair of jocks, some nutter goes all in with 3 - 7 for example. I just dont understand it.   

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Welcome to Sky Poker!!!
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: bad luck or just crazy players:
    Welcome to Sky Poker!!!
    Posted by emilyegg
    +1
  • edited March 2010
    Surly you want to play players like this who value-town themselves? I dont understand when people moan about crazy play let me sit down at there table and ill take there money
  • edited March 2010
    Welcome to Poker!!!
    Posted by emilyegg

FYP. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Surly you want to play players like this who value-town themselves? I dont understand when people moan about crazy play let me sit down at there table and ill take there money
    Posted by big_mick12
    Although i agree with what you are saying in principal mick i think it's a bit harsh to say that the poster is 'moaning' it is obvious that they don't know how to play against this type of player and are genuinely looking for advice.

I think you should suss out who the players are and when you get good cards hit them hard if you can and take their chips off them as big mick is saying. Patience and timing is my opinion for what its worth.

• edited March 2010
    sorry tikay LOL
  • edited March 2010
    there are no nutters on this site!!!!
  • edited March 2010
  • edited March 2010
    hi guys, im not moaning (well maybe a little) but its just hard to understand why players constantly raise pre flop time after time, on the occasions i do have a decent hand, i am getting asked for vast amount of chips just to see flops!!!

so what tactic can i use against kamikaze players??
  • edited March 2010
    Depends what level you are at in regard to stakes/bankroll.

The 3 step method on Small stake mtt/stt games seem to be popular R C S

Step 1...Close Eyes
    Step 2...Click Mouse
    Step 3...Toast your Success.

In all seriousness though, if you are just looking to build your bankroll (or in my case, not say au revoir to it so quickly) then DYM games are a good bet.
  • edited March 2010
    hi guys, im not moaning (well maybe a little) but its just hard to understand why players constantly raise pre flop time after time, on the occasions i do have a decent hand, i am getting asked for vast amount of chips just to see flops!!! so what tactic can i use against kamikaze players??
    Posted by R__C__S
    The very best players raise a LOT pre-flop - again & again. There's nothing wrong with that. Raising is GOOD, it's CALLING time after time that is bad.

Wait your time, find the right spots, then RE-RAISE them. NEVER Call them.

The Rule of thumb is that good players Raise (with ANYTHING), bad players call.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: bad luck or just crazy players : The very best players raise a LOT pre-flop - again & again. There's nothing wrong with that. Raising is GOOD, it's CALLING time after time that is bad. Wait your time, find the right spots, then RE-RAISE them. NEVER Call them. The Rule of thumb is that good players Raise (with ANYTHING), bad players call.
    Posted by tikay1
    Why should you never call Tikay.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: bad luck or just crazy players : Why should you never call Tikay.
    Posted by AIRWALKER
    Why call? If you think your hand is good, raise. If you don't think it's good, pass. Smoothing is the easy option. There are certain exceptions, in specific circumstances, but the default is to RAISE or PASS. Calling is usually a bad thing.

By raising, we now have TWO ways to win. And our AK v, say, 9-9 is 75%-25%, NOT 50%-50%, if we get Villain to pass 50% of the time!

Specifically calling to trap, or float, or stop-&-go, is different, I'm talking "general" here.

The Raiser pressurises OTHER players. Callers pressurise THEMSELVES. They HOPE to hit, the Raiser seizes the initiative, he does not need to hit - he's taking most pots unopposed.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: bad luck or just crazy players : Why call? If you think your hand is good, raise. If you don't think it's good, pass. Smoothing is the easy option. There are certain exceptions, in specific circumstances, but the default is to RAISE or PASS. Calling is usually a bad thing. By raising, we now have TWO ways to win. And our AK v, say, 9-9 is 75%-25%, NOT 50%-50%, if we get Villain to pass 50% of the time! Specifically calling to trap, or float, or stop-&-go, is different, I'm talking "general" here. The Raiser pressurises OTHER players. Callers pressurise THEMSELVES. They HOPE to hit, the Raiser seizes the initiative, he does not need to hit - he's taking most pots unopposed.

Posted by tikay1
    Makes sense, thanks a lot. I call if they bet what i was going to bet in the first place and then wait for the flop most of the time. I will re raise a lot more now.
  • edited March 2010
    thanks for the advice Tikay
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: bad luck or just crazy players : Why call? If you think your hand is good, raise. If you don't think it's good, pass. Smoothing is the easy option. There are certain exceptions, in specific circumstances, but the default is to RAISE or PASS. Calling is usually a bad thing. By raising, we now have TWO ways to win. And our AK v, say, 9-9 is 75%-25%, NOT 50%-50%, if we get Villain to pass 50% of the time! Specifically calling to trap, or float, or stop-&-go, is different, I'm talking "general" here. The Raiser pressurises OTHER players. Callers pressurise THEMSELVES. They HOPE to hit, the Raiser seizes the initiative, he does not need to hit - he's taking most pots unopposed.
    Posted by tikay1
    Excelent advise as usuall Tikay, something which i'm learning to adjust to and use more often. Love the quote "The Raiser pressurises OTHER players. Callers pressurise THEMSELVES"

Keep up the good work ;)
  • edited March 2010
    finished with poker,

had ace pair, raised 600, flop was called, hit 3 aces, went all in

got beat by a straight
  • edited March 2010
    unlucky, chin up though!
  • edited March 2010
    finished with poker, had ace pair, raised 600, flop was called, hit 3 aces, went all in got beat by a straight
    Posted by R__C__S
    Never going to drink again hic, burp, pardon me lol.
  • edited March 2010
    Maybe its the drink causing yr dramtic reaction to str8 beating trips but hey, I'm a 6mnth newby & 1 thing i've learnt not to take any one hand TOO seriously.  See sooooo many sob stories on here but it (s..t) always happens sometimes.  I was reading tikay's advice here when playing a DYM  so raised more than normally, landed str8 and beaten by quad 8's all in!! (but I know his advice is so right in the long run & something I'm missing from my game).  So will still go for it & learn from it.

Oh & why the hell fold a hand that excites you AFTERWARDS, re-raise man! with a constant raiser yr just waiting for a hand to get excited about.  Then you'll find out what the poker gods have in store !!! 

Thanks for post, good learning / reminders for me too
  • edited March 2010
    By raising, we now have TWO ways to win. And our AK v, say, 9-9 is 75%-25%, NOT 50%-50%, if we get Villain to pass 50% of the time! S
    Posted by tikay1
    Have u played sky poker? people passing 99 50% of the time? ROFL!!! :)  99 is the nutz here!

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: bad luck or just crazy players : Have u played sky poker? people passing 99 50% of the time? ROFL!!! :)  99 is the nutz here!
    Posted by Sparce
    only passive fish like me fold 99
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to bad luck or just crazy players:
    please tell me theres other players on this site who have the same thoughts. I have only been playing poker for around a year now, so things are still new to me, but is the right tactic to play poker, is to go gung ho on every single hand that is played? A large amount of players i play against consistantly raise, re-raise and go chip crazy even when blinds are set at 20-40? Ive had to fold many decent hands because of this betting strategy, and when i do go for it with a pair of jocks, some nutter goes all in with 3 - 7 for example. I just dont understand it.   
    Posted by R__C__S
    That is never a good strategy imo
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to bad luck or just crazy players : That is never a good strategy imo
    Posted by OMahonyO
    he meant socks........
  • edited March 2010
    RCS....

you play poker long enough and you'll see it happen again and again and again....no matter which site you play on, it's just bad luck. If I had a £1 for everytime that's happened to me I'd be almost as rich as Tikay (or Richard Orford!). You just have to take it on the chin, it happens. If you've weighed everything up correctly and gone in with the best hand and some lucker takes you out with a lucky draw, that's life! You did nothing wrong. All this wisdom comes courtesy of Tikay (who's advice I've taken on board) and that of the other analysts,presenters and stalwarts of this site who have all been through the same thing. For a typical example see my recent post 'Curse of the AQ'.

As Tikay will tell you, at the end of the day it's just a game.

Take it easy and good luck!

Mike
  • edited March 2017
    all jocks get looked after on sky just get used to it it will not change
  • edited March 2017
    ^^^^ What tikay said. This is arguable but the only possible exception are games such as Turbo DoNs when missing hands can be very costly indeed because you have only about 33 blinds to begin with and you are going through so many hands so quickly. 

Combine the fact there are a lot of very loose players on Sky with that added self-damage potential then there is an argument for playing more passively than what would otherwise be recommended.

I generally play aggressive but am open to switching when I feel the need. ...Isn't that what we should all be doing? Changing our colours as and when we need to?
  • edited March 2017

Please note this thread somehow bumped itself after 7 years of inactivity. The post by bobcat52 suddenly re-appeared yesterday.

The Forum software continues to amaze.

• edited March 2017
    Please note this thread somehow bumped itself after 7 years of inactivity. The post by bobcat52 suddenly re-appeared yesterday. The Forum software continues to amaze.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    multi accounting tikay    :) joke obv
  • edited March 2017
    his avatar promoting total player wow seems like ages that promo , i made it on the telly thru that promo can you believe that someone at sky poker thought i was a decent player Broughton i think it was , how times change :)