You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weekend footy betting (Sat 6th)

edited March 2010 in The Shed
Well after a long fight with the new look Skybet I finally managed to get just 2 bets placed for tomorrow. According to the nice man on the end of the customer care chat they're having some "technical issues" with the new site tonight. Really? I hadn't noticed, I just went on to chat to some random person, lol. However, credit where it's due, at least he was as helpful as he possibly could've been so fair play.

Back to the betting & it's a bit of a tough field tomorrow. The majority of the games are either too tough to call or are offering stupidly short odds. However, I have managed to find some value lurking about so this is what I've gone for.

Main acca:

Newcastle to beat Barnsley (H) @ 2/5
Swindon to beat Bristol Rovers (H) @ 8/11
Millwall to beat Walsall (A) @ 11/8
Chesterfield to beat Cheltenham (A) @ 5/4
Alloa to beat Clyde (H) @ 2/5

These 5 are paying 17/1.

Newcastle pretty much speak for themselves really. They're unbeaten at home all season & have only conceded 8 in the league there as well. Barnsley actually have the 5th best away record in the division having won 7 of their 17 aways. However, they've also lost 8 on the road (including 4 of their last 6). Likewise, Swindon are strong at home this season having only lost there once in 17 games. They've actually won 9 of their last 10 at home. Rovers meanwhile are not great travellers. They've lost 10 of their 16 on the road, of which, 9 defeats have come in their last 11. Millwall have won 3 of their last 6 away which is a reasonable return, whilst Walsall have only won once in their last 8 at home. Chesterfield are the form team of League 2 at the moment having won 6 of their last 8 home & away (incidentally, they've won their last 4 aways). In contrast, Cheltenham are on a bad run themselves at the moment having only won once in 8 home & away (they've only won twice in their last 8 at home as well). Alloa/Clyde is a top Vs bottom clash & Alloa really should win this at a canter. Clyde have only won once away from home all season.

Handicap Acca:

Arsenal (-2) to beat Burnley (H) @ 11/10
Man Utd (-1) to beat Wolves (A) @ 10/11
Newcastle (-1) to beat Barnsley (H) @ 11/10
Leeds (-1) to beat Brentford (H)@ 5/4
Swindon (-1) to beat Bristol Rovers (H) @ 15/8

These 5 currently pay a whopping 53/1 so well worth a small dabble.

Most weeks I like to have a little long shot but this week I thought I'd go for something not only a little different, but also something that, imo, has a slightly better chance of coming in (I know the odds say otherwise but that's not the point!). The standard odds on almost all of these games are really short (Arsenal are 1/7!!) but by doing it as handicap betting you can get so much more value from them. 

Good luck to all having a bet this weekend (assuming you can get the site to work properly). 

Jay

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Very attractive looking handicap acca there Jay. Might try them in 4-folds due to the presence of the word "Newcastle". NEVER, EVER back them as a rule, purely for Jonah reasons.

Lets bring it on!!!! and bookies beware (not)
  • edited March 2010
    11/1 stoke for anyone who wants an outside outside bet which is me cuz im a fool,bring it on
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (Sat 6th):
    11/1 stoke for anyone who wants an outside outside bet which is me cuz im a fool,bring it on
    Posted by stokefc[/QUOTE

Anything can happen in a cup game m8, and Chelsea ain't looking as solid as they were. If you think about it Stoke m8, Chelsea will probably be giving preference to the PL and DEFINITELY the CL (with that tough looking game against Inter looming large). 11/1 is tempting.
    Do you want me and Quagmire to have our quid on Chelsea to assist? ;-)
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (Sat 6th) :
    11/1 stoke for anyone who wants an outside outside bet which is me cuz im a fool,bring it on Posted by stokefc[/QUOTE Anything can happen in a cup game m8, and Chelsea ain't looking as solid as they were. If you think about it Stoke m8, Chelsea will probably be giving preference to the PL and DEFINITELY the CL (with that tough looking game against Inter looming large). 11/1 is tempting. Do you want me and Quagmire to have our quid on Chelsea to assist? ;-)
    Posted by emilyegg
    yes please cuz im banging a tenner on straight win then hoping for the poker gods...hallaluyah*sp
  • edited March 2010

have gone for 2 super 6 accum

1. Crewe v Barnet
    2. Crewe @ 10/11
    3. Bury v Dagenham
    4. Bury @ 5/6
    5. Aldershot Town v Burton Albion
    6. Aldershot Town @ evens
    7. Tranmere v Southampton
    8. Southampton @ 5/6
    9. Bristol City v Doncaster
    10. Bristol City @ evens
    11. Blackpool v Ipswich
    12. Blackpool @ 6/5
    13. AZ Alkmaar v Heerenveen
    14. Roma v AC Milan
    15. Fiorentina v Juventus
    16. Villarreal B v FC Cartagena
    17. Werder Bremen v VfB Stuttgart
    18. Eint. Frankfurt v Schalke 04
  • edited March 2010
    Ok ive gone for

Westham 4/5
    Newcastle 2/5
    Norwhich 4/11
    Leeds 4/9
    Charlton 4/11
    Rochadle 2/5
    Kettering 1/3
    Stevenage 8/15
    Hibs 4/5

Pays a little over 34/1 had a tenner on it.

also had a tenner on

Coventry 17/10
    Charlton 4/11
    Torquay 5/4
    Birmingham 2/1

this pays just over 24/1

Dont really like having charlton in both bets but with the 2nd bet ive gone for all the teams that are playing bottom of the league, and id already put my first bet on.
  • edited March 2010
    ma mate had said he had issues with the new look skybet this morn so how pleased was i when i loaded skybet and it was the old site. now this may have cost me money but who cares. now onto my selections,

line 1 

Newcastle
    Southampton
    Crewe
    Shrewsbury
    Aldershot
    Stevenage

pays about 30/1

line 2

West Ham
    Derby
    West Brom
    Mk Dons
    Bury
    Dunfermline

pays about 39/1

and ma banker ( bit skinny but should cover the day)

Arsenal
    Norwich
    Rochdale
    Alloa

pays 2/1

hope the bookies r running scared of every1s selections, so good luck every1 with their picks
  • edited March 2010
    Maccy Dons

Hartlepool

Crewe

Accrington Stanley

Aldershot

Queen of the South

Morton

Stenhousemuir

East Stirling

8-folds and an acca. Come on!!
  • edited March 2010
    What the h ell is happening at Swindon? 0-4 at home!!!!!!

This is the team that have won 9 of their last 10 there against a team who have lost 9 of their last 11 away?!?!?!

• edited March 2010
    What the h ell is happening at Swindon? 0-4 at home!!!!!! This is the team that have won 9 of their last 10 there against a team who have lost 9 of their last 11 away?!?!?!
    Posted by silentbob
    i believe it is the curse of the early kick off. this is a terrible condition. no matter what the form is it has a high percentage of being thrown out the window as has happened here. my golden rule is never do an early kickoff in an accum, u always end up doin another line by 3pm
  • edited March 2010

here are my losing bets for today  first one pays around 570/1  whilst 2nd about 75/1    got 50p on each accum

valencia

benfica

twente

ajax

bayer leverkusen

marseille

inter

sampdoria

palermo

cagliari

bilbao

malaga

mallorca

celtic

everton

valencia
    bilbao
    malaga
    dundee utd
    celtic
    chelsea
    everton
    villa

good luck everyone! lets hope games go to form unlike many yday

• edited March 2010
    Well fwiw, I'm gonna have a small dabble this afternoon too. Let's face it, it can't go any worse than yesterday's bets, lol.

Draw half time/Chelsea full time @ 3/1
    Everton (-1) to beat Hull (H) @ 11/10
    Sporting Lisbon to beat Belenenses (A) @ 4/7

These 3 are paying 12/1 so worth a shot.

Stoke won't be easy to break down but I think Chelsea will ultimately be too strong for them. The general price of 2/7 for a Chelsea win really doesn't appeal but the half time/full time shot looks a good shout.

Thankfully for my boys (West Ham) Hull are atrocious away from the KC. They've yet to win from 14 games on the road this season picking up 4 draws. They've also conceded 34 goals in those games averaging over 2 per game. Couple that with the fact that they've only actually scored 7 in those 14 & the 11/10 is a good price.

Despite having only won 3 of their 10 away games this season Sporting are up against the leagues whipping boys in Belenenses who have only won once home or away all season.

Good luck to all having a bet today

Jay
  • edited March 2010
    was beginning to think I may be on my way to a winner 2day when chelsea strolled to success. After villa's turnaround, a late dundee winner and malaga 2-1 up against xerez who were down to 10 men, I was daring to believe I could finally collect some winnings. Bad thing to do. I return to my laptop 15 mins later to find to my horror xerez had won 4-2! the bottom team in la liga and the lowest scorers in the league had gone and banged in 4! 
    Just my luck!

• edited March 2010
    Ouch AJ. That's even worse than my Swindon/Bristol Rovers bet yesterday.

Well I now have absolutely no interest in the Portuguese game tonight thanks to Chelsea scoring in the 1st half.