You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

EPT BERLIN

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

Just a quick note to say that everyone working on the Berlin leg of the European Poker Tour is OK, following an "incident" earlier today.

I'm sure many of you have read the reports of an armed robbery at the Grand Hyatt - where the tournament is taking place.  Luckily, no-one was seriously injured.

I hope the SPT event at Luton passes without similar drama!!!

James.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I hadnt read this but glad to hear everyone is ok
  • edited March 2010
    yes, sorry, it was.
  • edited March 2010
    have a quick look at the forum house rules (found here)

thanks guys.
  • edited March 2010
    In which case, you'll have to use Google, Moo :-)
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: EPT BERLIN:
    In which case, you'll have to use Google, Moo :-)
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    or pm him it
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah I have only just heard about that I seen the footage about it aswell! Scary stuff there!
  • edited March 2010
    posted a link to the bbc news website but have deleted as just noticed your comment rich. Is that really against the rules???? its interesting stuff in the world of poker and you do show the news on sky tv so would think its fine?? bit crazy otherwise
  • edited March 2010
    Just seen it on Sky News James nice to see everyone is ok.
  • edited March 2010
     this was bound to happen sooner or later, at least no1 got hurt and lessons will be lernt
  • edited March 2010
    BUMP*

I've resurected this thread in the hope that someone can tell me what happened to the Comp

Did they get the prize fund in the robbery? if so did the comp have to be called off? if it was played on then whose paying for it?

Thanks for any info that comes forth
  • edited March 2010
    1. yes they robbed the prize fund
    2. the comp continued 4 hours later i think
    3. the money is probably insured
  • edited March 2010
    1. yes they robbed the prize fund 2. the comp continued 4 hours later i think 3. the money is probably insured
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Money could be insured but there would be no chance that the Insurance company would pay out straight away. Just wondered if people are sitting on IOU's at the moment lol
  • edited March 2010
    1. yes they robbed the prize fund 2. the comp continued 4 hours later i think 3. the money is probably insured
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Sorry to sound like a pantomime dame, but ... Oh no, they didn't!

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: EPT BERLIN : Sorry to sound like a pantomime dame, but ... Oh no, they didn't!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    what happened then? PM me a link to any news stories etc... i only just found out about it all! im faaaaaaaar too lazy to look myself :D
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: EPT BERLIN : what happened then? PM me a link to any news stories etc... i only just found out about it all! im faaaaaaaar too lazy to look myself :D
    Posted by BlackFish3
    and your gonna become a lawyer??, if im up in court i hope your the prosecutor, if i need a lawyer i wont call you lool.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: EPT BERLIN : and your gonna become a lawyer??, if im up in court i hope your the prosecutor, if i need a lawyer i wont call you lool.
    Posted by loonytoons
    i wna be a solicitor not a barrister so dw i wont be spending much time in court if any lol. i am ridiculously lazy though... really should do some work... poker has taken over my life doh!
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: EPT BERLIN : what happened then? PM me a link to any news stories etc... i only just found out about it all! im faaaaaaaar too lazy to look myself :D
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Some money was taken, but it wasn't from the prize pool of the main event and it was a LOT less than €800,000!

• edited March 2010
     this was bound to happen sooner or later, at least no1 got hurt and lessons will be lernt
    Posted by N1CK
    Sooner, actually. It happened at the ACF (Aviation Club de France) in Paris in 2004, during the Grand Prix de Pris which Surinder Sunar famously won after Tony G exceeded his normal trash-talk quotient, only to get totally owned by Surinder.

On that occasion, the armed robbers arrived via motorbike, stole about $100,000, but failed to speed away on the motorbike. As they had lost the keys.
  • edited March 2010
    posted a link to the bbc news website but have deleted as just noticed your comment rich. Is that really against the rules???? its interesting stuff in the world of poker and you do show the news on sky tv so would think its fine?? bit crazy otherwise
    Posted by Dazler

Hi Dazler,

no, links to news articles are just fine. It's just links to other forums/poker sites that are against the rules.

cheers!
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: EPT BERLIN : Sooner, actually. It happened at the ACF (Aviation Club de France) in Paris in 2004, during the Grand Prix de Pris which Surinder Sunar famously won after Tony G exceeded his normal trash-talk quotient, only to get totally owned by Surinder. On that occasion, the armed robbers arrived via motorbike, stole about $100,000, but failed to speed away on the motorbike. As they had lost the keys.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Lost the keys lol ... That is priceless. Not exactly mastermind robbers then?

If you read some of the Old Timers Biographys they share many a story of poker players being robbed, held at gunpoint, cheated of their winnings etc.. During Brunson and Slims early days it was considered nothing more than an occupational hazzard lol

Greg Raymer famously foiled an attempt to releive him of his poker roll in a hotel a few years ago as well. The Stories kind of add to the mistique of the game but def not something yo uexpect the all new "Acceptable" poker to be linked with nowadays. I thought all this went out with shady underworld charachters playing cards in a smokey back room of a bar lol
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: EPT BERLIN : Lost the keys lol ... That is priceless. Not exactly mastermind robbers then? If you read some of the Old Timers Biographys they share many a story of poker players being robbed, held at gunpoint, cheated of their winnings etc.. During Brunson and Slims early days it was considered nothing more than an occupational hazzard lol Greg Raymer famously foiled an attempt to releive him of his poker roll in a hotel a few years ago as well. The Stories kind of add to the mistique of the game but def not something yo uexpect the all new "Acceptable" poker to be linked with nowadays. I thought all this went out with shady underworld charachters playing cards in a smokey back room of a bar lol
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    It got worse after that. With their motoribike unavailable, they instead stole a refriigerated van to drive away from the scene of the robbery with the proceeds. That's the proceeds of the freezeout.