You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Two pair confusion

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi guys,

my appoligise for not being on the forums in so long, i have been away playing more live games than what i used to and as a result online has became really second fiddle and a spare time thing.

However on the web, on a site which will not be named i was in a small buy in tournament, made on bad call with and up and down straight draw and K high flush draw, resulting in me being lowish stacked for the tournament at that stage. Down to the last 27 players so i had already cashed i got pocket Jacks. The big stack bully re-raised my all-in with an all-in themselves.

They have A,3. So i quite happily think as long as i avoid an Ace i should be ok.

Flop comes

K,6,10.

turn 3

river K

So i have Kings and Jacks with a 10 kicker my opponent has Kings and 3s with and Ace kicker.

Now ive been a tournament director in a local league set up for just over two months but havent as of yet seen a situation like this and to me i always thought the higher the first pair was usually won, however second pair had never really came into the matter before, in this instance because i was K,K,J,J,10 i thought id won, but the Kings and 3s with the ace was given my chips.

Can i just ask what the official rules are on this as i feel slightly hard done by, a bad beat i can accept but in a situation like this i thought id ask official clarification to people who i have enjoyed playing with for some time now and have spoken to a number of times on the forums

Thanks,

Don

Comments

• edited March 2010

Yes, as I understand your post, both you and the opponent held 2 pair after the river:

Your hand - KK JJ 10
    Their hand - KK 33 A

In this situation, where the top pair is shared, the "secondary" pair comes into play. So, you should have been awarded the pot with a better two-pair.

• edited March 2010
    don you defo had better hand, are you sure your opponent didnt hit the flush maybe?
  • edited March 2010
    nope im sure, it was rainbow board, also his cards where offsuit. Its the third or forth time ive seen it on this particular website.
  • edited March 2010
    not seen this b4 surely you,ve got the best hand unless you,ve misread.dump the site
  • edited March 2010
    Don, you won the hand. No ifs, no buts, no maybes. Dump the site like you would dump a fat bird in a nightclub.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Two pair confusion:
    not seen this b4 surely you,ve got the best hand unless you,ve misread.dump the site
    Posted by stokefc
    Ill see if i can get a hand history and post it
  • edited March 2010
    name and shame the site,of course the 2nd pair counts and yes you should have won..thats why when 2 pairs come on the board and counterfeits my low pair holding i lose..that sucks,but to lose when ur actually winning,much much worse...
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Two pair confusion:
    Hi guys, my appoligise for not being on the forums in so long, i have been away playing more live games than what i used to and as a result online has became really second fiddle and a spare time thing. However on the web, on a site which will not be named i was in a small buy in tournament, made on bad call with and up and down straight draw and K high flush draw, resulting in me being lowish stacked for the tournament at that stage. Down to the last 27 players so i had already cashed i got pocket Jacks. The big stack bully re-raised my all-in with an all-in themselves. They have A,3. So i quite happily think as long as i avoid an Ace i should be ok. Flop comes K,6,10. turn 3 river K So i have Kings and Jacks with a 10 kicker my opponent has Kings and 3s with and Ace kicker. Now ive been a tournament director in a local league set up for just over two months but havent as of yet seen a situation like this and to me i always thought the higher the first pair was usually won, however second pair had never really came into the matter before, in this instance because i was K,K,J,J,10 i thought id won, but the Kings and 3s with the ace was given my chips. Can i just ask what the official rules are on this as i feel slightly hard done by, a bad beat i can accept but in a situation like this i thought id ask official clarification to people who i have enjoyed playing with for some time now and have spoken to a number of times on the forums Thanks, Don
    Posted by The_Don90
    according to this u have the best hand, i would double and triple check first, ask their customer services for a hand ranking list to see what their stand is on this decision, if both dont match then dump the site and report them to the gaming regulators they are registered with as this would be a clear breach of the rules they are governed by, gather as much evidence as u can and i really hope u get the hand history as its vital.
  • edited March 2010
    if your opponent won that hand then there is a flaw in the software, this must be reported, other than you miss-reading the hands its the only way forward.
  • edited March 2010
    Don, you won the hand. No ifs, no buts, no maybes. Dump the site like you would dump a fat bird in a nightclub.
    Posted by KnackersYa
    depends how many beers youve had first
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Two pair confusion : depends how many beers youve had first
    Posted by hurst05
    And, of course, how late it is ;o)
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Two pair confusion : And, of course, how late it is ;o)
    Posted by KnackersYa
    Yea i admit it was rather late, litterally just 5 mins before this thread, but there was no alcohol involved.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Two pair confusion : And, of course, how late it is ;o)
    Posted by KnackersYa
    ha defo, if its 2.00am youve only got 30 mins usually till club shuts, meaning you either take what you can get or go home empty handed :) hahahahaha