You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Watching footballers live

edited March 2010 in The Shed
We all have an idea who our all time greatest footballer is. But who, no matter what league they were in or what team, is the best footballer that you have seen with you own two eyes ( could be down to just one performance )
based on not what they have done on telly but solely on what they have done in front of your face.

So who is it? and why?

I will kick off ( so to speak ahem )

Dont take the Mick. He is not the best footballer ever and i have seen hundreds of players live including euro championships and all sorts including Gazzas goal against Scotland. But the best player based on two perfomances that i have SEEN is..................................Stan Collimore.

He was absolutely massive ( 6 foot five and big with it ) and he ran like an olympic sprinter after the ball every time it was put through for him with true power and when he caught up with it he bust the net with it. All the defenders were smaller and slower than him and were terrified. He was absolutely fantastic and impressive. He made everyone else look like juniors.

Over to you lot.

Comments

• edited March 2010

Andy keogh when he played for Scunny at Donny a few years back. - At that level, on the day, he was un-playable
  • edited March 2010
    Igor Stimac - legend
  • edited March 2010
    david ginola - came to oakwell and just tormented us all afternoon, all the barnsley fans actually applauded his performance it really was that good
  • edited March 2010
    peter begerie scored the best goal i,ve ever seen when he played for us down at the vic,awesome player
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Watching footballers live:
    peter begerie scored the best goal i,ve ever seen when he played for us down at the vic,awesome player
    Posted by stokefc
    He was an absolute legend in my home town of Bradford too.
  • edited March 2010
    SAW THIERY HENRY A COUPLE OF TIMES AT FRATTON PARK WAS TRUELY AMAZING THE SPEED AND THE BALANCE HE HAD  MAKES HIM HEAD AND SHOLDERS THE BEST PLAYER IVE SEEN.  
  • edited March 2010
    Steve Mcphail, when he was at Leeds was probably the fastest player i've ever seen on a football pitch, also great control and vision. Shame about his cancer scare last year, great player
  • edited March 2010
    gazza by a mile imo. have u seen his semi final against arsenal in 91? wot a freekick!!!!!!!!!!!! next best matt letissier (spelling) i dont think he scored a bad goal, how he never played 4 england ill never no!!!!!!!!!
  • edited March 2010
    gazza by a mile imo. have u seen his semi final against arsenal in 91? wot a freekick!!!!!!!!!!!! next best matt letissier (spelling) i dont think he scored a bad goal, how he never played 4 england ill never no!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
    Preferred the final where he decided to kick lumps out of the Nottm Fore*t bar stewards lol
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Watching footballers live:
    We all have an idea who our all time greatest footballer is. But who, no matter what league they were in or what team, is the best footballer that you have seen with you own two eyes ( could be down to just one performance ) based on not what they have done on telly but solely on what they have done in front of your face. So who is it? and why? I will kick off ( so to speak ahem ) Dont take the Mick. He is not the best footballer ever and i have seen hundreds of players live including euro championships and all sorts including Gazzas goal against Scotland. But the best player based on two perfomances that i have SEEN is..................................Stan Collimore. He was absolutely massive ( 6 foot five and big with it ) and he ran like an olympic sprinter after the ball every time it was put through for him with true power and when he caught up with it he bust the net with it. All the defenders were smaller and slower than him and were terrified. He was absolutely fantastic and impressive. He made everyone else look like juniors. Over to you lot.
    Posted by AIRWALKER
    Stan CollYmore did score some amazing goals at several clubs, prob dod not near fulfill his potential...lifestlye maybe... Shock!! What I will say he had the best fight i ever saw on a pro pitch with Colin Todd's son!!! they were at it proper rugby,rules or ice hockey style!!! He did do his bit for Fulham, but you must have caught him on 2X good days, What games were they?

Gordon Davies v Chesterfield bout 1980 brilliant game
    Roger Brown v lincoln 1881ish What a legend... but i am obviously biased!!

pure class footballers who I have seen...Berkamp, Brady, Torres, Ronaldo[not the fat one]
    but I think the best ther will ever be...........Rooney... honest pure class!!!! 
  • edited March 2010
    SAW THIERY HENRY A COUPLE OF TIMES AT FRATTON PARK WAS TRUELY AMAZING THE SPEED AND THE BALANCE HE HAD  MAKES HIM HEAD AND SHOLDERS THE BEST PLAYER IVE SEEN.  
    Posted by BADBOY985
    Saw  Arsenal V Portsmouth once, when Portsmouth fans cheered Henry's every touch, and when he took every corner they all sang ' you're never play for Portsmouth', to which he kept turning round and clapping them before he took them....What a Legend!!!
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Watching footballers live : Saw  Arsenal V Portsmouth once, when Portsmouth fans cheered Henry's every touch, and when he took every corner they all sang ' you're never play for Portsmouth', to which he kept turning round and clapping them before he took them....What a Legend!!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Saw collimore in a game at Anfield against West ham and a couple of times at Bradford, but every time he was top quality and a massive presence.

Have seen other stand out performances from Rooney, Gazza, Petit+Viera, Scholes, Zola, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, C Ronaldo and lots more but Collimore was the most impressive and it sticks out in my memory just how good he was. In one of the games he overhead kicked one into the top corner. Priceless.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Watching footballers live:
    We all have an idea who our all time greatest footballer is. But who, no matter what league they were in or what team, is the best footballer that you have seen with you own two eyes ( could be down to just one performance ) based on not what they have done on telly but solely on what they have done in front of your face. So who is it? and why? I will kick off ( so to speak ahem ) Dont take the Mick. He is not the best footballer ever and i have seen hundreds of players live including euro championships and all sorts including Gazzas goal against Scotland. But the best player based on two perfomances that i have SEEN is..................................Stan Collimore. He was absolutely massive ( 6 foot five and big with it ) and he ran like an olympic sprinter after the ball every time it was put through for him with true power and when he caught up with it he bust the net with it. All the defenders were smaller and slower than him and were terrified. He was absolutely fantastic and impressive. He made everyone else look like juniors. Over to you lot.
    Posted by AIRWALKER
       Your right Colly was brilliant and uncomplicated when he played for us at Palace but he wasn't a regular coz of Wrighty, not keen on him personally but as a player he had a deft touch, acceleration,decent shot and knew where the goal was. For pure class though it has to be Lombardo,he really should have been at a bigger club to make a bigger impact on English football coz he was wasted at Palace to be honest.Non Palace player it has to be Georgie Best, he was kinda magnificent. 
  • edited March 2010

Sinema Pongolle V Arsenal (when Mellor scored to win 2-1).

Pongolle did some amazing skill in that game, made Sol Campbell and Viera look like dummies.

• edited March 2010
    lua lua for colchester against swans,  he was unbelievable, the north bank at the old vetch wasn't the most welcoming of stands,  we didn't like most of our own team.  He just ran riot all day then scored a wonder goal and stood all smug infront of the north bank,  this would normally involve a few hundred 2p coins heading his way along with some abuse but nearly everyone just stood there and clapped him.