You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

total player i dont get it

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
am i right in thinking they get to play the main event wsop
if so should isnt the main event 9 handed tables so playing 6 seated tournaments and cash games
is insignificant as there is more chance ur opponent has a better hand
just a thought

Comments

• edited March 2010
    The competition is called "Total Player".
    The idea being to find a player who is deemed excellent across all forms of NLHE although the later stages have focussed mainly on MTTs.
    Part of the prize is indeed an entry into the WSOP ME.
    The skills of the competitors are readily transferable across all games and playing cash games and 6 seater MTTs to demonstrate these skills is certainly not "insignificant".

• edited March 2010
    i dont think none of them are total players to be honest if they have to be EXCELLENT and i think it is insignificant
    if all tournament they play are 6 seater there gunna find 9 seaters alot differant
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: total player i dont get it:
    i dont think none of them are total players to be honest if they have to be EXCELLENT and i think it is insignificant if all tournament they play are 6 seater there gunna find 9 seaters alot differant
    Posted by timebomb10
    The sky poker APAT team played 6 seater qualifiers and then the 10 seater APAT team tournament, all 8 of us made the dinner break of day 1 and 3 of 8 scored top 40 points for a mid table finish in the team event.

I have played with the remaining 3 at 10 seater tables before in live events and they are all formidable foes at that format, DanTB10 was second at SPT Manchester.

Its a small adaptation, its hardly like Holdem to Hilo

Dave
  • edited March 2010
    i dont think none of them are total players to be honest if they have to be EXCELLENT and i think it is insignificant if all tournament they play are 6 seater there gunna find 9 seaters alot differant
    Posted by timebomb10
    Dont think we will ever see a Total Player as such but these players are the best and part of the quest was adaptation which they passed with flying colours, I dont think going from 6 to 9 will be that big a deal for them
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to total player i dont get it:
    am i right in thinking they get to play the main event wsop if so should isnt the main event 9 handed tables so playing 6 seated tournaments and cash games is insignificant as there is more chance ur opponent has a better hand just a thought
    Posted by timebomb10
    adjusting ones play from 6 seater to 9 seater table,

is quiet easy for experienced players ,

its not rocket science !

• edited March 2010
    Trying not to look or sound too thick, which is difficult at the best of times. Apart from the seating what is the difference between 6 & 9 seater table, and how does this affect the game?

Be kind with your respones, please, lol

• edited March 2010

both nutter and dantb10 played at wsop last year didnt they? and I think both did quite well if I remember correctly.. I'm not sure about sparce but he is a very good player so all three are quite capable in 9/10 seater tournaments.

• edited March 2010
    Hi guys, i agree with all the posts above.

with 9 handed play as opposed to 6 handed you do need to make adjustments to your game to be successfull.

For me i will tighten up my starting hand requirements, hardly ever playing in early position u8nless i have a monster or want to do some balancing or to set up a play for later on.

I will be opening a lot of pots around the button as position in 9 handed play is paramount imo. the gap concept is also more influencial in 9 handed games.

The structure for these tournaments is very good with lots of play which makes it abit like a cash game in the first few levels, but patience is the key. i know alot of people criticise 'tight is right' and say that once down to 10 BB's its shove time. i personally dont agree with this, i love to portray the tight image at the table and allow myself to get away with moves when the chips are worth all that more.

I feel that 8BB's is when i start to think its time to make a move. Its amazing how many people bust tournaments with 50bb, bigstack on bigstack in ego battles, when you can quite easily sit back. As sklansky said 'your broke, your done or they're broke they're done!'

Why go bust before you have to?

We have had to play bounty hunters, sit an goes, heads up, sit an go heads up, cash games, short stack cash, deepstack, turbo.  and 10 handed tournaments, so i feel the change to a 9 or 10 handed tournament would not be too difficult, it would just need aslight adjustment in your game.
  • edited March 2010
    This thread is about as much use as a CHOCOLATE KETTLE !!

How would John Mcenroe put it "YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS"??? or are you ? lol
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to total player i dont get it:
    am i right in thinking they get to play the main event wsop if so should isnt the main event 9 handed tables so playing 6 seated tournaments and cash games is insignificant as there is more chance ur opponent has a better hand just a thought
    Posted by timebomb10
    I'm guessing there's lots of other things you "don't get" either! No offence meant but, come on, these guys are serious poker players.
  • edited March 2010
    There is a BIG difference from 6 seater to 9 seater there will obviously be 3 more hands you are facing so like our 10 seater deepstack tournys here at sky of course you need to play a bit tighter as DAN has already stated.dav
  • edited March 2010
    There is a BIG difference from 6 seater to 9 seater there will obviously be 3 more hands you are facing so like our 10 seater deepstack tournys here at sky of course you need to play a bit tighter as DAN has already stated.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    Just read DAN's post, very good read. Cheers mate,
  • edited March 2010
    typhoon, u asked a decent question and asked for people to be kind in there response, im sure the response you got from dan was the type of answer you were looking for, so dont let the smart a r s e comment from goodlad put you off posting again. no need for it and is cheap
  • edited March 2010
    typhoon, u asked a decent question and asked for people to be kind in there response, im sure the response you got from dan was the type of answer you were looking for, so dont let the smart a r s e comment from goodlad put you off posting again. no need for it and is cheap
    Posted by pod1
    I reckon Goodlad was commenting on the first post not on Typhoon's.
  • edited March 2010
    even if it was its still not a constructive response
  • edited March 2010
    even if it was its still not a constructive response
    Posted by pod1
    Accurate though
  • edited March 2010
    Posted by pod1
    Cheers pod