You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HU sng's - PLAN B? -- TP nutter

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat

Hey guys - my new fave subject. 

Im playing loads of these, like, whenever im online now, im playing HU! ......plus a tourny or cash game like a total rock..... hehe

My plan, as always, is to go in and batter the opponent. Sometimes it really is that simple, but other times, they are countering this by min raising me alot, and using tiny little wimpy bets to induce, and then come over the top of me.....

Its a great puzzle to solve, and Im loving the challenge, just wondered if anyone had any advice to counter this type of what I call "wimp's play"

How do I counter this sort of play, whilst retaining my aggressive edge???? - 

Very inexperienced at this format, and Im sure I'll get used to adapting to my opponents as I get more games under my belt, just wondered if you could give me a head start.....

(Very interested in nutters response here, as he played me 6 times one night, then came bak the next night and slaughtered me...having changed his strategy... - I know he plays HU alot on here but he's wayyyyy out of my BR so theres no chance of us meeting any-time soon, so u can help me ;)

Cheerz ppl - DOHH

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Hey DOHHHHHHH,

Seen as i don't have to play you any more I can tell you how you played against me. You were an aggro monkey the first 4 games and you had me in your pocket to be fair. The only thing with that particular style is that if the other person connects with the flop and your still firing - a thinking player will just let you hang yourself. 

It does work if the other player keeps missing the flop though but then they should tighten up their hands pre-flop in which they play. Heads up is all about figuring out the other guy quickly and re-adapting to beat him. You also have to play hands / draws differently against the same player if you play each other several times so you don't become predictable.

Its a hard format to get very good at but when you do, you will love it and it also come in handy when heads up in MTTs / STTs when the big money kicks in.
  • edited March 2010
    Hey Dohhhhhh

Firstly in Heads up play, position is THE most important thing.  I've seen it in a few poker books that playing from the BB is about saving money and from the button it's about making money.  How you set up your story really depends on your position and look to make more of your moves from the button.

There is a plan C however.  I don't like it (in fact I really hate using it), but in a HU SnG it works.  There will be times you will find you do not have an edge on the oppo.  In fact there will be times where you realise you are the weaker of the two players.  Lose all thoughts of ego, this happens to everyone.  As this is a SnG and not cash you can't pull up sticks and run away so now we have to do something ugly.  Play complete ABC for the lower levels.  No flair, no creativity.  What you are looking for is either a race situation in the early play where we get all the money in preflop or a shovefest in the later stages.  If you find yourself outskilled, take the skill out of the game.  This does also include using your full timer in the early stages (I said I hated it, but it works, some average Joe did it at the NBC heads up a couple of years ago in the semi final I think, they dwelt for ages in the early going).
  • edited March 2010
    very difficult to be as unpredictable as a NUTTER, a NUTTER is like a rock, but this rock has dynamite in it, and could explode at any time!!---but a NUTTER is also not like a rock, just when you think you know what he will do, he does it, and takes you completly by surprise!---because you had no idea what he would do, hes a NUTTER,  for flops sake!!

The true NUTTER is probably the only kind of NUTTER that is probably not a NUTTER, and this makes him probably the only kind of NUTTER that can beat any kind of NUTTER, probably.

VOTE NUTTER, SKY SHOULD BE REPRESENTED BY A NUTTER, YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!!!