You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

just how random are the cards that are dealt?????

edited March 2010 in Area 51
Was playing in a small BH earlier today, played a fairly passive game was in the last 10 and due to a silly decision by myself ended up fairly short stacked.  I was dealt a pair of K's and with 4000 chips went all, if someone called me I was in great position and if not, a good steal of the blinds.  Anyhow 1 guy called me with A 10 unsuited and the flop came as 10, 5, A.  end of my tourny and pretty much the story of my bad luck! normally it is the river that stuffs me but ....it seems to happen every time, I also seem to get shuffled to a table with the chip leader on in most tournys I play!  Quite often it seems like the flop, turn and river always seem to come out in the big stacks favour.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    In Response to just how random are the cards that are dealt?????:
    Was playing in a small BH earlier today, played a fairly passive game was in the last 10 and due to a silly decision by myself ended up fairly short stacked.  I was dealt a pair of K's and with 4000 chips went all, if someone called me I was in great position and if not, a good steal of the blinds.  Anyhow 1 guy called me with A 10 unsuited and the flop came as 10, 5, A.  end of my tourny and pretty much the story of my bad luck! normally it is the river that stuffs me but ....it seems to happen every time, I also seem to get shuffled to a table with the chip leader on in most tournys I play!  Quite often it seems like the flop, turn and river always seem to come out in the big stacks favour.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Posted by GREGGYBOY
    Have a look in Area 51. You should find the answer there.
  • edited March 2010
    eurgh GROOOOAAAANNNNNN... it never ends does it??!! oh well, loony, trips etc... see you in area51 lol
  • edited March 2010
    Tin foil hats available now in the Area 51 lobby.....
  • edited March 2010
    IF YOU PLAY BOUNTY HUNTERS YOUR GOING TO RUN INTO PLENTY OF BAD BEATS AS THE STLYE OF THESE MEANS TO TURN A PROFIT YOU HAVE TO TAKE MORE RISKS.
    TRY PLAYING SLOWER TOURNYS AND YOU WIIL NEED LESS LUCK AND MORE SKILL TRY THE 7.15 DEEP STACK £2.20 BUY IN 5K CHIPS GIVE YOU MUCH MORE BETTING AND FOLDING OPPORTUNITIES.
    ALSO TRY READING UP ON HAND ODDS BEACAUCE KK GIVES YOU A GOOD START BUT THE % OF HANDS YOU WIN IN A STRAIGHT UP RACE ISNT AS HIGH AS YOU MIGHT THINK
  • edited March 2010
    GUYS PLEASE DONT JUMP ON THESE KIND OF POSTS TO RIDICULE AND SCORE POINTS THE  GUY IS ASKING A PERFECTLY FAIR QUESTION AND BY ANSWERING WITH RESPECT YOU MIGHT HELP THEM
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to just how random are the cards that are dealt?????:
    Quite often it seems like the flop, turn and river always seem to come out in the big stacks favour.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Posted by GREGGYBOY
    Yes ... apart from by making moves, they must have hit cards in order to get a big stack.

However, as for the 'random or not' debate, clearly there's skulduggery afoot. I was playing earlier, and ended up all-in pre-flop with KK against the chip leader. Flop comes ace high, before turning a king, and rivering another. So, at least in this one example you can see it's not always geared towards allowing the big stacks to win.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt?????:
    GUYS PLEASE DONT JUMP ON THESE KIND OF POSTS TO RIDICULE AND SCORE POINTS THE  GUY IS ASKING A PERFECTLY FAIR QUESTION AND BY ANSWERING WITH RESPECT YOU MIGHT HELP THEM
    Posted by BADBOY985
    Nobody has openly ridiculed him in this thread. We have pointed him on the direction of Area 51 where he can read all the ridicule that has been heaped on the misguided souls who preceded him in asking this question. He will also find some replies there concerning pot odds etc.
  • edited March 2010
    Posted by BADBOY985
    i totally agree with you badboy,the guy asked a reasonable question...

The way it works on sky is..the cards are shuffled the dealt,then from there it is like a real pack of cards they are not plucked out of the air like some sites,so the flop is the flop no matter when you call,fold e.t.c
    dave
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? : Nobody has openly ridiculed him in this thread. We have pointed him on the direction of Area 51 where he can read all the ridicule that has been heaped on the misguided souls who preceded him in asking this question. He will also find some replies there concerning pot odds etc.
    Posted by Seagull158
    SEAGULL IF YOU PUT THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE I WOULD HAVE TOTALY AGREED WITH YOU. THE IDEA WITH THE COMUNITY IS TO HELP EACH OTHER AND YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF DOING SO. EVERYONE WANTS THE SITE AND FORUM TO GROW.
    BLACKFISH ITS ONE OF THE GUYS FIRST POSTS AND HE ISNT SAYING THE SITE IS RIGGED OR THE CARDS FIXED HES ASKING WHY HE KEEPS GETTING BADBEATS YOU HAVE SOME GOOD OPINOINS TRY TO USE THEM INSTEAD OF BELITTLING OTHERS
  • edited March 2010
      hi all has anybody played the new game trips yet. only 5 players a 3 get payed ,hav,nt seen one full yet to see what you get payed ,any ideas . doesnt seem that popular as yet .
    Posted by epwb
    DYM would be better i think as the rake is 15% on trips and if you finish third your 'winnings' are less than your entrance lol, even 2nd place is not much better, you really need to come 1st for it to be worth while
  • edited March 2010
      hi all has anybody played the new game trips yet. only 5 players a 3 get payed ,hav,nt seen one full yet to see what you get payed ,any ideas . doesnt seem that popular as yet .
    Posted by epwb
    1ST GETS 50%
    2ND GETS 30%
    3rd gets 20%

cant see the value when you take out they buy in 3rd your just getting you money back
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? : 1ST GETS 50% 2ND GETS 30% 3rd gets 20% cant see the value when you take out they buy in 3rd your just getting you money back
    Posted by BADBOY985
    £1:15 for a £5 pot @ 20% = £1 = loss 4 3rd?
    £1:15 for a £5 pot @ 30% = £1:50 = 35p profit for 2nd = cr appy return lol
  • edited March 2010
    eurgh GROOOOAAAANNNNNN... it never ends does it??!! oh well, loony, trips etc... see you in area51 lol
    Posted by BlackFish3
    eurgh GROOOOOAAAANNNNN it never ends does it, iits his first post, no need to patronise him, if you dont like these threads dont post simples
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? : eurgh GROOOOOAAAANNNNN it never ends does it, iits his first post, no need to patronise him, if you dont like these threads dont post simples
    Posted by hurst05
    Well said hursty mate and badboy.You know i am starting to think that some of these guys actually dont play poker on here they just wait for something to pounce on in the forum.dav
  • edited March 2010
    The guy asked his question in a reasonable manner. It wasn't a rant, saying the site has it in for him. A reasonable answer was needed to a reasonable question.
  • edited March 2010
    I gave him a reasonable answer, a very reasonable answer. I said "Have a look in Area 51. You should find the answer there." Also, I refrained from jumping down his throat for the comment in his post "Quite often it seems like the flop, turn and river always seem to come out in the big stacks favour", even though people have been torn to pieces on many other threads for making exactly the same observation. In contrast with the people who complain that the shortstack always wins! I do agree, however, that it is not possible that Blackfish actually plays poker here because he must be spending a couple of hours a day doing his studies and at least 22 hours a day making posts or, rather, having arguments with his mates Fallen, Sara36DD, Charlyb and Torryboy.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? : Well said hursty mate and badboy.You know i am starting to think that some of these guys actually dont play poker on here they just wait for something to pounce on in the forum.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    Now now Dav. Dont stir Blackfish up again. You know he stalks your posts!
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? : eurgh GROOOOOAAAANNNNN it never ends does it, iits his first post, no need to patronise him, if you dont like these threads dont post simples
    Posted by hurst05
    if you dont like my posts, dont read on them and comment... simples...
  • edited March 2010
    I gave him a reasonable answer, a very reasonable answer. I said "Have a look in Area 51. You should find the answer there." Also, I refrained from jumping down his throat for the comment in his post "Quite often it seems like the flop, turn and river always seem to come out in the big stacks favour", even though people have been torn to pieces on many other threads for making exactly the same observation. In contrast with the people who complain that the shortstack always wins! I do agree, however, that it is not possible that Blackfish actually plays poker here because he must be spending a couple of hours a day doing his studies and at least 22 hours a day making posts or, rather, having arguments with his mates Fallen, Sara36DD, Charlyb and Torryboy.
    Posted by Seagull158
    yes ok i dont play on here... hmmm... i pretty much only post when i am playing poker... what's wrong with posting a lot anyway? there are people that have posted more than me, why dont people moan at TK for posting so much? you post a fair amount yaself.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? : Well said hursty mate and badboy.You know i am starting to think that some of these guys actually dont play poker on here they just wait for something to pounce on in the forum.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    same as my above post...
    i was a lil harsh on a first time poster... i kinda got the wrong end of it and immediately assumed it was a standard bad beat moaner... i should of cut the OP some slack being as it was his first post, i just think you need to be tough with people who haven't yet gripped bad beats.
  • edited March 2010
    I am currently going through a period of being caught by any call at the table. It effects your game (it certainly effects mine) and so I will take some time away. The reason your seeing a lot of these rivers etc is because it's almost impossible to get the majority of players on here off any hand. When you have multiple callers it happens......a lot.

Tonight I lost to a guy who was calling with every hand he got. He decimated my stack when hitting his runner runner straight, it was a mighty 4 to 8. A little later i went all-in with 88. Another player (a very good player) called with AK and Mr Call-it-all also went in for half his stack. He had Q5os and of course he hit two fives on the board, taking us both out. He was the tournament cl by now having removed at least 5 players from the table with absolute junk. I watched for a while after going out and he did the same to 2 more players.

I decided to take a look at his sharkscope stats and they were quite amazing. He's currently running on Sky at -98% ROI. As I watched another player joined and he was at it as well, calling every hand and winning them. Now we had two of them taking the table to pieces. Someone at the table commented that we now have two big fish. I decided to sharkscope the second ''fish'' and his stats were nearly as impressive as the first fish at -76% ROI.

These players never make the cash. They will never make money at poker as long they play. What they will do is cause mayhem prior to their demise. So in answer to your question Greggy, yes it's random as are the thoughts of such players.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? : same as my above post... i was a lil harsh on a first time poster... i kinda got the wrong end of it and immediately assumed it was a standard bad beat moaner... i should of cut the OP some slack being as it was his first post, i just think you need to be tough with people who haven't yet gripped bad beats.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Yes i do see ure point with the bad beat people but as you also say it was his 1st post.gl matey dav
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? : yes ok i dont play on here... hmmm... i pretty much only post when i am playing poker... what's wrong with posting a lot anyway? there are people that have posted more than me, why dont people moan at TK for posting so much? you post a fair amount yaself.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Yes I do post a fair bit and I LOVE winding people up when I know they will bite. You always bite. Tikay works for Sky Poker. He is paid to work on the site (at least I would assume so). If you had a thread called "Ask Blackfish" you would feel mandated to post a lot too.
  • edited March 2010
    I am currently going through a period of being caught by any call at the table. It effects your game (it certainly effects mine) and so I will take some time away. The reason your seeing a lot of these rivers etc is because it's almost impossible to get the majority of players on here off any hand. When you have multiple callers it happens......a lot. Tonight I lost to a guy who was calling with every hand he got. He decimated my stack when hitting his runner runner straight, it was a mighty 4 to 8. A little later i went all-in with 88. Another player (a very good player) called with AK and Mr Call-it-all also went in for half his stack. He had Q5os and of course he hit two fives on the board, taking us both out. He was the tournament cl by now having removed at least 5 players from the table with absolute junk. I watched for a while after going out and he did the same to 2 more players. I decided to take a look at his sharkscope stats and they were quite amazing. He's currently running on Sky at -98% ROI. As I watched another player joined and he was at it as well, calling every hand and winning them. Now we had two of them taking the table to pieces. Someone at the table commented that we now have two big fish. I decided to sharkscope the second ''fish'' and his stats were nearly as impressive as the first fish at -76% ROI. These players never make the cash. They will never make money at poker as long they play. What they will do is cause mayhem prior to their demise. So in answer to your question Greggy, yes it's random as are the thoughts of such players.
    Posted by elsadog
    Elsa, You're overstating it a bit saying its almost impossible to get the majority of players n here off any hand. Its difficult to get some players off any hand and it some donkfest tourneys its almost impossible but not with the majority of players (IMO). You sound a bit jaundiced so I hope you come back happier and ready to play.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? : Yes I do post a fair bit and I LOVE winding people up when I know they will bite. You always bite. Tikay works for Sky Poker. He is paid to work on the site (at least I would assume so). If you had a thread called "Ask Blackfish" you would feel mandated to post a lot too.
    Posted by Seagull158
    so you are just a troll then that aims to wind people up? lol... whateva makes ya happy i guess! he dont get paid to write on the forums, he does that in his own time...
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? : so you are just a troll then that aims to wind people up? lol... whateva makes ya happy i guess! he dont get paid to write on the forums, he does that in his own time...
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Not JUST a troll. Sometimes do a bit of light-hearted trolling but most of the time I make serious posts.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? : Not JUST a troll. Sometimes do a bit of light-hearted trolling but most of the time I make serious posts.
    Posted by Seagull158
    ah good to know you are just a part-time troll... got worried you was a full timer for a minute.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: just how random are the cards that are dealt????? :     LOL,I see your still trying your hardest to make friends again,Be carefull you might make more than you need.It seems to me,its alright for you to riddicule every one thats posts on this forum,but as soon as someone says anything to you,you have a habit of spitting your dummy out.Then again,i'm sorry i forgot,your always right.Would be nice for you to give some contructive criticism for a change instead of pulling people to pieces all the time.Are you like this on the tables as well.Would be nice for you to think before you say half the things you do,maybe you would'nt get into so much trouble with folks. Now that is constructive criticism.                 Enjoy your hard earnt friends,both on the forum and the tables.           
    Posted by charlyb8
    stalking my posts as usual... most the time yes i am right :D... i offer plenty of constructive criticism... have a read on the poker strategy section and find some of my posts... if you want any constructive criticism or want to talk poker strategy then i will be happy to do so, just let me know.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi guys,

just a quick note to say i have remove a few posts from this thread as the broke the community house rules.

please read this as a friendly reminder to keep things cool.

please don't react to comments. instead, use the report abuse feature, take a deep breath, count to 10 and move on and enjoy another thread/ area of the forum.

(all warnings will be done in private.)

thank you
  • edited March 2010
    Hi guys,

just a quick note to say i have remove a few posts from this thread as the broke the community house rules.

please read this as a friendly reminder to keep things cool.

please don't react to comments. instead, use the report abuse feature, take a deep breath, count to 10 and move on and enjoy another thread/ area of the forum.

(all warnings will be done in private.)

thank you