You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Am I a massive fish?

edited March 2010 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
I've just started playing 6 max cash games in the last couple of weeks and I'm doing pretty well at $0.05/$0.10 and looking toward moving up through the levels. That said I'm still a bit iffy on a lot of things - Here's a hand that combines reads with odds, I want to know if it's a +EV move:

I get dealt A5o utg. I raise to $0.30. The table is really passive and I've been winning pretty much twice my fair share of pots, mostly preflop or with one c-bet.

The guy to my left reraises to $1, he seems pretty solid and hasn't played many hands. His range is definitely medium to large pairs and big aces down to maybe AT. A few more folds and then a new player calls on the button, I'm thinking his range is probably most pairs up to TT and maybe big suited cards, say JQ KJ KQ and possibly big aces (I'm unsure if he'd reraise AK). Action comes back to me.

I call for the following reasons - I'm the last to act so by putting in a further 0.70 I'll see a flop. I can make one straight, and if I do flop big I have big implied odds as me and the guy to my left both have approximately $22 and the other guy has $11. Bad thing is I'll be out of position so I'm happy to take a look and drop it if not.

Flop comes: A T 3 two hearts (I have the 5 of hearts not that I'm overly excited about it).

I check, guy to my left c-bets $2.20, third guy folds. This is the decision I want opinions on.

The pot is now $5.35. My thought process was this: He's probably got one pair, either he's c-betting KK QQ JJ, or more likely he's got top pair with a big kicker. He's more likely to have the latter as he's c-bet against 2 other players in a raised pot, the chances are one of his opponents have the ace. The reason I called his bet was because I felt if I hit my miracle 5 I could stack off against AK AQ AJ style hands. I made the call, hit the 5 on the turn, bet my way to an all in after a safe river card and got all of his money (he had AQ)

Thinking about it afterwards though, I've got what? 6% of hitting on the turn. He's got a big ace a big proportion of the time as I'd said so not much chance of betting him off it ever, plus what if he has a set of tens, AT or rivers a better 2 pair than me? Or what if we run into the case ace on the turn?

I don't want to be results orientated, so all in all (and I realise I've gone into a lot of detail but I want my thought process to be as clear as possible) is that always just a terrible call on the flop?

Ta,
Majj

Comments

• edited March 2010

Wow - I think you played the hand pretty auwfully mate....

Everything about it makes me cringe....other than maybe opening up for a raise utg with ace 5 - I'm not gonna debate this as like you said, the table is passive and you have been running over it...

But what follows is pretty bad, re raised and call behind, ur OOP.....with a hand that's gonna be dominated.....

I see what you are trying to do by having a look and hoping to hit, but there's much better hands to speculate with than ace rag. The obvious 67 suited comes to mind, or small pairs, hands where you "know where you are"

You flop the ace - and he leads for 20+ bb's. Now, again, your thinking "if i hit i get him" - and pay another bet to try and hit. Very optimistic stuff, and drawing pretty thin. 

It came, and it worked this time - but I wouldn't advise it in the future.

The question you asked is are you a massive fish? Well maybe, maybe not, 1 hand isn't alot to go on - but I think you did play this hand like a massive fish yea! lol

DOHH

• edited March 2010
  • edited March 2010
    You def went on a fishing experdition with this one but you recognised yourself how poor the play was or you wouldn't have posted it. You went fishing but a fish this does not make you lol

I'm sure you'll fold other situations like this one in future as you are well aware that in "The Long Run" your magic card isn't going to arrive and you are going to be callnig a bigger bet on the turn to try and hit on the river.
  • edited March 2010
    preflop open I think is fine given you are with nits who play fit or fold so you can steal a lot but please fold to raise to avoid these spots where you're always dominated.

fold flop as played.

by the way your range on his 3bet range is way off - passive micro players never re raise A10 especially vs utg if they are half aware no matter how active you've been. his range is JJ+ AQs+ and thats being conservative vs nits.

also don't play on passive nitty tables at micros where there is plenty of fish to go around.
  • edited March 2010

LMAO Great thread Majj gave me a good laugh lol. I can't quite beleive know one has figured its just a joke and have actually gave proper answers.

• edited March 2010
    Ur asking a rhetorical question really, you must know calling out of position with a5 off with 2 other players in the pot is a bit fishy and is not +ev(expected value)and ur not really getting implied odds especially if ur not got any reads and especially not with a weak holding like A5 (a good example of implied odds is when u hope to hit a set with ur smll pokket against a tight/aggro player coz then u can be sure if he has a strong hand, top pair with AK or sumthin he will stack off)

To be honest you should have never been in the hand because as u said a tight player did re raise you so give him a little respect and find a better spot later on, this is also why this it is not a +EV situation!!

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Am I a massive fish?:
    LMAO Great thread Majj gave me a good laugh lol. I can't quite beleive know one has figured its just a joke and have actually gave proper answers.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Really was it that funny???.........................................hmmm maybe not just really stupid if it was a joke
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Am I a massive fish? : Really was it that funny???.........................................hmmm maybe not just really stupid if it was a joke
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Yes, it really was THAT funny.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Am I a massive fish? : Yes, it really was THAT funny.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I think Lee Evans is Funny or family guy bloody funny as hell, but i really think writing a huge post as a joke kinda sad M8 i bet ur the only person Laughfin Ur A** Off   
  • edited March 2010
    From your detailed analysis id say you were the one with the AQ and some one else had the A5 and sucked out on you.

It is obvious you are too good to make this play just by reading your thought processes and reasoning.

Im with dudeskin on this 1
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Am I a massive fish? : I think Lee Evans is Funny or family guy bloody funny as hell, but i really think writing a huge post as a joke kinda sad M8 i bet ur the only person Laughfin Ur A** Off   
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Yep, I guess I'm that sad.
  • edited March 2010
    From your detailed analysis id say you were the one with the AQ and some one else had the A5 and sucked out on you. It is obvious you are too good to make this play just by reading your thought processes and reasoning. Im with dudeskin on this 1
    Posted by TP_Dantb
    Halleluya, (spelling) someone with a bit of sense.
  • edited March 2010
    Heard this line on Gavin and Stacey last night.....

"They've made you look a righhhhttttt T-it!"

......Haha nice one! :(
  • edited March 2010
    Heard this line on Gavin and Stacey last night..... "They've made you look a righhhhttttt T-it!" ......Haha nice one! :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    dunno who ur referring to but i only posted after i read the first paragraff as it was way too long. And suggested it wasnt funny if this was a joke jus kinda pointless really ......................................but anyways dont really give a ****  
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Am I a massive fish? : dunno who ur referring to but i only posted after i read the first paragraff as it was way too long. And suggested it wasnt funny if this was a joke jus kinda pointless really ......................................but anyways dont really give a ****  
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    LOL !!
  • edited March 2010
    im referring to me!!!! - look me reply first and go into so much detail!!! sigh :(
  • edited March 2010
    lol ok soz m8 wasnt sure but makes sense now, Dudeskin must admit after reading all posts i guess it is kinda funny in a annoyin way ........anyways im done with this forum!! :o

• edited March 2010
    lol ok soz m8 wasnt sure but makes sense now, Dudeskin must admit after reading all posts i guess it is kinda funny in a annoyin way ........anyways im done with this forum!! :o                                                                                            
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Close the door on ya way out.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Am I a massive fish? : i really think writing a huge post as a joke kinda sad M8   
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Granted