You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

BEST & WORST TRANSFERS

edited March 2010 in The Shed

Personally, i think the transfer of Rio Ferdinand from THE MIGHTY LEEDS to manyoooooo was the greatest transfer ever. To buy a player for £12million as a substitute for Jonathan Woodgate, then sell him a year later for £30 million, a 150% profit was an astounding deal.

On the flip side,(and i know many people would view this as the best value transfer ever). Eric Cantona, again to manyooooo, but for £1million, what was that about. Argueably one of the greatest players ever to grace the game in this country, and they sell him for peanuts.

So tell me your clubs, best and worst!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    best ARSENAL transfer getting rid of senderos for nothing, worst transfer NOT getting rid of bentdner.
    edited at half time bentdner must read these pages & its given him the kick up the ARSENAL he needed always knew he was a top striker.
  • edited March 2010
    Worst transfer was selling Mark Lawrenson to Liverpool for £900K (worth at least twice that) and the best was getting Jimmy Case in exchange for £400K (took us to the FA Cup Final and played till he was past 40).
    Those were the days.
  • edited March 2010

Donny signed Justin Jackson when we were in the conference, and he was absolutely useless - I think it was 100k we paid too!!

As for the best transfer deals - Wenger has to be the daddy. Where does he pluck them from??? Anelka? Viera? Henry? Henry has to be the best signing ever.......

Everyone has gone downhill when they leave Arsenal - I could list loads, Upson being the exception.

• edited March 2010

BEST
    DIARRA FOR £5M GUY WAS ABSOLUTE CLASS SOLD HIM A YEAR LATER FOR £20M WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT DEAL HAD WE NOT STILL OWED ARSENAL MOST OF IT IN FEES AND SELL ONS LOL
    ALSO GETTING PAUL MERSON ON A FREE THEY GUY WAS SUPERB GOT US UP TO PREM

WORSE
    YOSHI KAWAGUCHI WE PAYED £2M FOR A 5ft 2 KEEPER AND WONDERED WHY HE KEPT GETTING LOBBED AND MISSING CROSSES SOME WIDE BOY AGENT SOLD HIM TO US CONVINCING MANDRIC THAT HE WAS JAPANS ANSWER TO DAVID BECKHAM AND WE WOULD MAKE THE MONEY PLUS SOME ON MERCHANDISING.
    HAVING SAID THAT HE WAS A LOVELY GUY AND THE FANS LOVED HIM (AS LONG AS HE WASNT PLAYING).

BEST DEAL FOR US

WE SOLD MAN CITY LEE BRADBURY FOR 3.5M STILL MAKES ME SMILE THINKING ABOUT IT.

• edited March 2010
    Best.. Kolo Toure to Arsenal.

Worst ... Diouf to Liverpool.

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: BEST & WORST TRANSFERS:
    Best.. Kolo Toure to Arsenal. Worst ... Diouf to Liverpool.
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi[/QUOTE

best mark stien 100k from oxford 20+ goals a season got promotion from third tier,then we sold him to chelsea
    for 2 million

worst,well thrers too many to mention dave bamber always sticks in my mind,think we paid something like 200k in the late eighties which was alot for us in them days,absolute dross scored on his debut tho lol

sorry mr_miyagi thought you would of posted about stoke or vale then realised you were talking generally
    thats why i,ve got you quoted
  • edited March 2010
    Wasnt mark overmarrs sold for loads but cost peanuts, as for worst look no further than Kieran dyer from Newcastle to West Ham - What value they got lool
  • edited March 2010
    the best has 2 be mc allister 2 liverpool 5 trophies in first season and the worst lucas waste of space
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: BEST & WORST TRANSFERS : best mark stien 100k from oxford 20+ goals a season got promotion from third tier,then we sold him to chelsea for 2 million worst,well thrers too many to mention dave bamber always sticks in my mind,think we paid something like 200k in the late eighties which was alot for us in them days,absolute dross scored on his debut tho lol sorry mr_miyagi thought you would of posted about stoke or vale then realised you were talking generally thats why i,ve got you quoted
    Posted by stokefc
    Nah I don't like Stoke or Vale. I live right by Vale park but only watched them when I was with a guy who supported them.

My family are all Liverpool/crewe supporters.
  • edited March 2010
    best ARSENAL transfer getting rid of senderos for nothing, worst transfer NOT getting rid of bentdner.
    Posted by lucy4
    lol scored 4 em
  • edited March 2010
    Wasnt mark overmarrs sold for loads but cost peanuts, as for worst look no further than Kieran dyer from Newcastle to West Ham - What value they got lool
    Posted by loonytoons
    To be fair to Dyer though, he had suffered a worse leg break than Ramsey did. Not many people realise he had 4 operations on it & it was all from a clumsy nothing tackle.

Best signing fort West Ham has probably got to be Paulo Di Canio. Think we only paid about 1.2mil for him which was a fraction of his true value.

Worst signing? Hmmmmmm............. Far too many to mention but among others are Marco Boogers (sent off in only his 2nd game then went running back to Holland to found holed up in a caravan somewhere!), Joey Beauchamp, Alan McKnight, & Titi Camara.

Oh man, we've had more than our fair share of c rap players at U.P.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: BEST & WORST TRANSFERS : To be fair to Dyer though, he had suffered a worse leg break than Ramsey did. Not many people realise he had 4 operations on it & it was all from a clumsy nothing tackle. Best signing fort West Ham has probably got to be Paulo Di Canio. Think we only paid about 1.2mil for him which was a fraction of his true value. Worst signing? Hmmmmmm............. Far too many to mention but among others are Marco Boogers (sent off in only his 2nd game then went running back to Holland to found holed up in a caravan somewhere!), Joey Beauchamp, Alan McKnight, & Titi Camara. Oh man, we've had more than our fair share of c rap players at U.P.
    Posted by silentbob
    i think marco boogers is now running his own hotel somewhere in south america or have i got that completely wrong i know some ex player is & his name sprung to mind.
  • edited March 2010

Man u bought..............

Peter Schmeicel     £530'000

Eric Cantona   £1m

Andrei Kanchelskis   £650,000

Dennis Irwin   £625,000

Paul Ince   £1m

Cristiano Ronaldo   £12.24m

Wayne Rooney   £25.6m

Arsenal bought.............

Dennis Bergkamp   £7.5m

Thierry Henry   £10.5m

David Seaman   £1.3m

JUAN SEBASTIAN VERON BOUGHT BY MAN U FOR   £28.1m lolololololol

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: BEST & WORST TRANSFERS : i think marco boogers is now running his own hotel somewhere in south america or have i got that completely wrong i know some ex player is & his name sprung to mind.
    Posted by lucy4
    Couldn't find anything about him owning a hotel but I did find this little gem from his Wikipedia page about Harry Redknapp. Just about sums the guy up really.

"Redknapp berated Boogers in an interview as a poor player and claimed he never saw Boogers play and that he contracted him on a whim based on a videotape where he appeared to be a world class player."

I mean seriously, W T F?!?!? 
  • edited March 2010
    Cant believe nobody has mentioned Ole Gunnar Solskjær, he has to be one of the best premiership buys ever!!!!!!
  • edited March 2010

Spurs a few years ago lent Bradford City Mathew Etherington and he was truly fantastic and far far too good for the league he was playing in. Then they reallised how good he was and how brilliant he was at skinning full backs,shooting and whipping in crosses and called him back only to hardly use him the swines.

Then a few years later they let him go again and now look at him flyinging down the wing yet again only for Stoke this time. Nice one Spurs lol.

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: BEST & WORST TRANSFERS : Couldn't find anything about him owning a hotel but I did find this little gem from his Wikipedia page about Harry Redknapp. Just about sums the guy up really. " Redknapp berated Boogers in an interview as a poor player and claimed he never saw Boogers play and that he contracted him on a whim based on a videotape where he appeared to be a world class player." I mean seriously, W T F?!?!? 
    Posted by silentbob
    totaly agree with you,he treats football like he is a barrow boy down rathbone street market,ducking & diving doing deals he shouldnt be doing,i cant believe all the y i d i s are behind him but then again they are easily pleased.
  • edited March 2010
    Cant believe nobody has mentioned Ole Gunnar Solskjær, he has to be one of the best premiership buys ever!!!!!!
    Posted by 35suited
    +1........£1.5m
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: BEST & WORST TRANSFERS : totaly agree with you,he treats football like he is a barrow boy down rathbone street market,ducking & diving doing deals he shouldnt be doing,i cant believe all the y i d i s are behind him but then again they are easily pleased.
    Posted by lucy4
    LOL So true. I have met him and he is a very freindly top bloke.........but would i buy a car off him hmmm lol
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: BEST & WORST TRANSFERS : LOL So true. I have met him and he is a very freindly top bloke.........but would i buy a car off him hmmm lol
    Posted by AIRWALKER
    Yeah I agree with this. I've met him a few times and he's always friendly and that but I do wonder about a lot of transfer dealings. When he was with us for every Di Canio we got 2 Marco Boogers!
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: BEST & WORST TRANSFERS :
    Best.. Kolo Toure to Arsenal. Worst ... Diouf to Liverpool. Posted by Mr_Miyagi[/QUOTE best mark stien 100k from oxford 20+ goals a season got promotion from third tier,then we sold him to chelsea for 2 million worst,well thrers too many to mention dave bamber always sticks in my mind,think we paid something like 200k in the late eighties which was alot for us in them days,absolute dross scored on his debut tho lol sorry mr_miyagi thought you would of posted about stoke or vale then realised you were talking generally thats why i,ve got you quoted
    Posted by stokefc
    Hey Stokey. I was at University with Dave Bamber. He signed for Blackpool while he was still "studying" for his degree. He was known as Dave "pool cue" Bamber because of an altercation in the games room one evening. Do you remember the horse Troy that won the Derby? Bamber put 150 quid on it weeks before the race at about 10 to 1. Then 2 weeks after he collected he lost about a thousand playing 3 card brag on the team bus.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: BEST & WORST TRANSFERS : totaly agree with you,he treats football like he is a barrow boy down rathbone street market,ducking & diving doing deals he shouldnt be doing,i cant believe all the y i d i s are behind him but then again they are easily pleased.
    Posted by lucy4
    He gets results.
  • edited March 2010
    all i can say seagull i wished he play poker on sky
  • edited March 2010
    best Cantona,

worst I can think of loads to list a few
    Francis Jeffers to Arsenal
    Chris Sutton to Chelsea
    Veron to Utd
    Seth Johnson (18m) to Leeds