You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What can I do!?

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
Right guys..

Past 2 occasions I've been to Luton Gs my pocket pairs have killed my tournament!

Just got in from £30 Triple Chance...

I've got about 8k..

Blinds are 200/400...Under the gun raises too 1200. Folds round to me and I've got 10's. I feel he must be strong but dont think he has bigger pocket pair so Im willing to see a flop and if it's low then get my chips in...

Everyone folds...

Flop comes 5,6,7....Rainbow. 

He checks, I bet out 2,200...He has about 6.5k left...He counts out his stack and then pushes over the top. I think for a while as he is talking too me "What you got AK?"...As soon as he said that I felt he was on AQ/AK....

I call....

He goes what you got JJs? I said "No...lower" and he goes "Good Ive got 2 overcards..." - He has Q 10 off suit!? NOT ONLY HAS HE MADE A TERRIBLE MOVE IN WHICH HE REALLY SHOULDN'T MAKE HE ALSO ONLY HAS 1 OVERCARD...

Turn comes a 7....River comes a DAMN Q!!

That would of easily made me a chip leader of the tourny and definately cemented me a good spot on hitting final table and cashing!

What can I do there guys? Re raise Pre Flop? I just felt If it comes low then I can bet exactly how I did....!?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    As you have said im putting the preassure on him, im re-raising pre-flop (i usually double the bet but thats just standard for me). If he is confident he calls and unfortunetly same outcome.

However other than not re-raising pre-flop it doesnt look like you have done alot wrong, alls i can suggest here is take the beat and make sure you take him next time.
  • edited March 2010

If you had re-raised pre-flop - which is the correct play here - that would have been "hand over", he'd have snap-mucked.

His play on that Flop was not a "terrible move" eiither, it was, again, correct play imo. It was only a "terrible play" if he knew what you had - & of course, he did not. 

If we always blame others when we lose, or take a beat, it might make us feel better, but we are deceiving ourselves, & not improving our game-play.

The problem here was the pre-flop smooth-call you made, had you Re-Raised there, it was "hand over".

Sorry Ads, but that's how it is!

You were unlucky (it happens, it's poker), but my advice would be look at our own play, not at others play - we cannot change the way others play, but if we play correctly, we CAN take advantage of their play.

• edited March 2010
    peel off a sticky, note him.  walk over to him, and stick it right between his eyes ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah completely agree Tikay. I know what your saying...It was similar to the Pocket JJs I flopped last week at Luton but I didn't re raise pre then aswell.....really need to start putting the pressure on Pre and learn from mistakes. Atleast next time I know I won't be flatting!

Haha Hurst, I've noted him if I see it again! ;)
  • edited March 2010

Thanks Ads.

Look at it this way.

You flatted his raise pre,, "hoping for a low flop".

But what if he has J-J+? We do the lot!

By re-Raising pre, & getting a reaction, we can either.....

a) Win it there & then - he folds.

b) Re-assess if he re-pops us, & look at folding. We've lost a bunch of chips, but we don't have to do the lot.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah when you put it like that...I completely see what your saying. 100% raise pre flop.

Thanks for the heads up Tikay....I won't be doing that again! And if you do see me do it down at Gs....GRILL ME! Lol
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to What can I do!?:
    Right guys.. Past 2 occasions I've been to Luton Gs my pocket pairs have killed my tournament! Just got in from £30 Triple Chance... I've got about 8k.. Blinds are 200/400...Under the gun raises too 1200. Folds round to me and I've got 10's. I feel he must be strong but dont think he has bigger pocket pair so Im willing to see a flop and if it's low then get my chips in... Everyone folds... Flop comes 5,6,7....Rainbow.  He checks, I bet out 2,200...He has about 6.5k left...He counts out his stack and then pushes over the top. I think for a while as he is talking too me "What you got AK?"...As soon as he said that I felt he was on AQ/AK.... I call.... He goes what you got JJs? I said "No...lower" and he goes "Good Ive got 2 overcards..." - He has Q 10 off suit!? NOT ONLY HAS HE MADE A TERRIBLE MOVE IN WHICH HE REALLY SHOULDN'T MAKE HE ALSO ONLY HAS 1 OVERCARD... Turn comes a 7....River comes a DAMN Q!! That would of easily made me a chip leader of the tourny and definately cemented me a good spot on hitting final table and cashing! What can I do there guys? Re raise Pre Flop? I just felt If it comes low then I can bet exactly how I did....!?
    Posted by Ads2kuk
    Just in case it makes you feel any better Ads, I lost to the same hand in the SPT on Saturday. Situation was a little different as we were already in the money and I had a huge stack. My J J allin was called by Q 10 by the eventual winner Ross who of course rivered the Q. It does make you wonder a bit ! Having said that he played well throughout and deserved his win.
    Playing JJ or 10 10 is always difficult. I have probably always been too aggressive as it is so tricky to play the streets with them. I think if you are going to see a flop you need to already know how you are going to play if there is an overcard.
    If the flop comes low as yours did it does obviously increase the possibility of straights,he could easily have been playing 89 suited.
    In your situation I would have definitely reraised preflop. At one time I would have shoved which is a weakness I have worked hard to get out of my game. Easy in hindsight but a preflop reraise to 2600/2800 should have done the job, and left you equity to fold to a shove.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah Penguin your right too, definately should of popped in a re-raise Pre.

Unlucky on the hand you had at SPT mate.

I guess it's all a learning curve and I just have to learn from it. I feel Im good enough to make a good cash or final table soon so hopefully it'll come!