You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Genius or Donk? need advice tk,nutter,dan,glitter,et,al

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
so im in a live £20 double chance game and sat about 10th of 19 and 9 get paid,but 9 to 5 is quite low money,1st prize is £750 and usually it ends in a 3 way chop for about £400,anyways...

i raise 1 off the button with 98 off 2 1/2 times blind which are at 200/400

two folds then bb reraises to 3k and i call

flop is q 9 4 he checks i put in  2500 he calls

turn is 6 he checks i bet 5k he calls

river is 8 i hit two pair he bets 6k and i have 10k left so go all in

and he shows qq and im out

was this absolutely donk play?
would you of put him on a set?(something i always struggle with)
how would you of played each street differently

cheers,dave

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Unlucky there mate.

I think Im folding to the re-raise pre flop to be honest. He's sat in big blind and obviously knows he'll be under the gun so a re-raise to 3k shows huge strength to me. Especially with you sitting at around 10th at that time.

The flat call on the flop shows to me he has AA/KK/QQ...

The check to flat call again shows me he has once again given us the knowledge that he has hit something big.

When the 8 comes on river it's hard to get away from it to but I don't think you needed to be that far in the hand in first place?

Thats just me though mate...others may say different.

Unlucky again mate.
  • edited March 2010

a genius would never play an hand as bad as that davey.

i assume your raising with 98 to try and take the pot down pre flop, after you get re raised you just chuck them away, simple as that. he calls your bet of 2500 after flop so that for me would send out big fat red warning signals!! he checks the turn and you again decide to bet, he flat calls you and at this point i am slightly worried that i am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind, when he bets on the river you probably know you have lost but dont believe the bloke so chuck your last chips away anyway.

defo a donk play

better luck next time

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Genius or Donk? need advice tk,nutter,dan,glitter,et,al:
    a genius would never play an hand as bad as that davey. i assume your raising with 98 to try and take the pot down pre flop, after you get re raised you just chuck them away, simple as that. he calls your bet of 2500 after flop so that for me would send out big fat red warning signals!! he checks the turn and you again decide to bet, he flat calls you and at this point i am slightly worried that i am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind, when he bets on the river you probably know you have lost but dont believe the bloke so chuck your last chips away anyway. defo a donk play better luck next time
    Posted by webby234
    OK i and you know we dont agree too often but you are 100% correct mate.dav
  • edited March 2010

Why are you raising 98 off in the cut off 2 1/2 times the big blind?

I'm hoping that your answer here is because you want to take the blinds and you only need a 2 1/2xbb raise to steel but this will save you some chips if you have to fold. If so...... great play you've not commited, you've made a raise big enough to take the blinds unchallanged and small enough to walk away from, when this guy then comes over the top of you for 3x YOUR bet then you should let go as your pretty sure your behind.

If you don't let go here then why put 2500 into 6200? - your below half the pot there. If your going to bet that flop then you need to be over half the pot to ask the question. The guy now has to call 2500, but he stands to win 8700 on top of it. If you bet bigger here and the guy calls or raises you can be happier that your behind and let this go

• edited March 2010

Hmm - pretty much what Webby says. Villain might - might - play it the same even if he misses his Set, & you get paid off, but unlikely.

It's one of those weird ones we see so often. A little mistake right at the start of the hand leads us into deeper & deeper trouble as we try to get out of it. 

Sometimes, when it goes Pete Tong, it's best to dave your chips & find a better spot later. The re-pop from the OOP BB stinks of "monsta", too.

If you let go when he re-pops, you have enough chips to regroup & rinse-repeat a couple more times later, but we got wedded to it, & that was that.

I've spewed so many stacks, so many times, (in Live poker) in that sort of spot.
  • edited March 2010
    As bad as it is, you still had the option to just call his river bet and at least left yourself with 10 bb which aint great but its better than out, and double upable to bring you back to ur stack b4 this hand.  Saying that I have got carried away a few times and made far worse plays than that.
  • edited March 2010
    a genius would never play an hand as bad as that davey. i assume your raising with 98 to try and take the pot down pre flop, after you get re raised you just chuck them away, simple as that. he calls your bet of 2500 after flop so that for me would send out big fat red warning signals!! he checks the turn and you again decide to bet, he flat calls you and at this point i am slightly worried that i am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind, when he bets on the river you probably know you have lost but dont believe the bloke so chuck your last chips away anyway. defo a donk play better luck next time
    Posted by webby234
    never seen durrrr play?
  • edited March 2010
    Don't mind the raise pre-flop but muck to the 3bet as I suspect you weren't looking to get involved with these cards, just add some blinds to your stack! However once called, you bet on the flop and get pretty firm answer - call in that spot says made hand or draw so come the turn, I'm happy to get some pot control and check behind! The river gives you two pair but it completes straight draws as well so I'd be treading extremely carefully - if you slowed down on the turn, the pot would only be about 10k and you'd have 15k behind? His river value bet wouldn't do you massive damage considering the pot size so there was still chance to get away quite cheap despite the "optimistic" call pre-flop...as played, moving in on the river gave you no "get out of jail" card when your hand was vulnerable to say the least!
  • edited March 2010
    Take it from a donk, thats a donk play, you tried stealing the pot, and you shoulda been worried after the continuation bet call from him, sometimes the worst thing that can happen is hitting 2 pair on the river, its like a poison chalice and hard to get away from by this stage.
  • edited March 2010
    I think you should have folded to the re-raise pre-flop and I think you should have check/folded the turn.

That said the situation on the river is a call 100% of the time given your stack, odds etc.

Sometimes when  you raise with fashionable hands like 9/8 we have to accept were not always onto a good thing.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Genius or Donk? need advice tk,nutter,dan,glitter,et,al : never seen durrrr play?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    yay! i'm just like durrr!

a few answers to some points.
    yes i was just after the blinds,the guy is a tight player,which makes it so much worse(just ten mins before i told my mate"if mark calls a raise he usually has something") i dont mind my call to the reraise but after that i should of check/folded to the river,i put him on aq/kqsbut when that pesky 2pr came on the river it was goodnight vienna!
    all in all i played it bad and blew my tourny.
    im in the same tourny tonight so hopefully i can use my donk image in my favour

cheers all gl at the tables
  • edited March 2010
    I agree with the majority of the posts above. if you make the 2 and a half times raise, its a good raise to steal the blinds, and also knowing that you have position on the blinds if they decide to peel. It is also cheap enough as if you get reraised out of the blinds you can lay it down quite easily in this spot, and move onto the next hand.

On the flop, alarm bells would start ringing when he checks to me. It either means he's flopeed huge, has an over pair to the board, or has missed with AK. Previous info on the villians continuation betting patterns would be an advantage in this spot.

I think i would check behind in this spot and see what he does on the turn, because it just screams of a trap. The bet you made, and the call should have auto shut you down as you know you are behind at this stage.

You should have put no more money in the pot after the flop the way you played it and when he bets 6k into you on the river you know he is huge. what you have to then decide is has he done this with a set or does he still think his AA KK are good on this board?

It is only ever a call on the river for me, it was the worse card you could have seen to be fair,  although you didnt have to get into that spot in the first place if you lay the hand down pre flop.

JUst my thoughts mate, see u at the next spt!
  • edited March 2010
    If the guy is tight as you say - then Im an instant folding pre flop - why? Because as you said - he is tight, you have only lost 1K so no problems - wait an orbit and just take the blinds this time instead.

Now that your in the hand - this is tricky - his check is hard to diagnose therefore your c bet is standard but his call will definatley set alarm bells going!! I would definatley check the turn and just call his bet on the river - remember by re raising - your only going to be called by a better hand mostly - fair enough - it is likely that the villain has AQ - but also it is just as likely for him to have AA KK QQ JJ - therefore with any tight players - there is always a possibility of sets. 

Just my tupance m8!! 
  • edited March 2010
    I agree with the majority of the posts above. if you make the 2 and a half times raise, its a good raise to steal the blinds, and also knowing that you have position on the blinds if they decide to peel. It is also cheap enough as if you get reraised out of the blinds you can lay it down quite easily in this spot, and move onto the next hand. On the flop, alarm bells would start ringing when he checks to me. It either means he's flopeed huge, has an over pair to the board, or has missed with AK. Previous info on the villians continuation betting patterns would be an advantage in this spot. I think i would check behind in this spot and see what he does on the turn, because it just screams of a trap. The bet you made, and the call should have auto shut you down as you know you are behind at this stage. You should have put no more money in the pot after the flop the way you played it and when he bets 6k into you on the river you know he is huge. what you have to then decide is has he done this with a set or does he still think his AA KK are good on this board? It is only ever a call on the river for me, it was the worse card you could have seen to be fair,  although you didnt have to get into that spot in the first place if you lay the hand down pre flop. JUst my thoughts mate, see u at the next spt!
    Posted by TP_Dantb
    soooo right thanks for input.....so obvious why you are in last 3 of tp and good luck..see you at glasgow(i think,wifes uni work permitting)
  • edited March 2010
    If the guy is tight as you say - then Im an instant folding pre flop - why? Because as you said - he is tight, you have only lost 1K so no problems - wait an orbit and just take the blinds this time instead. Now that your in the hand - this is tricky - his check is hard to diagnose therefore your c bet is standard but his call will definatley set alarm bells going!! I would definatley check the turn and just call his bet on the river - remember by re raising - your only going to be called by a better hand mostly - fair enough - it is likely that the villain has AQ - but also it is just as likely for him to have AA KK QQ JJ - therefore with any tight players - there is always a possibility of sets.  Just my tupance m8!! 
    Posted by dylan12
    thanks mate,i should of just given it up but i get so stubborn sometimes and tell myself he cant have the goods,i need to slow down a bit when deep into tourny's and pick better spots....cheers,dave
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Genius or Donk? need advice tk,nutter,dan,glitter,et,al : thanks mate,i should of just given it up but i get so stubborn sometimes and tell myself he cant have the goods,i need to slow down a bit when deep into tourny's and pick better spots....cheers,dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    M8 - you don't need me to tell you that your a class player, I think this hand will make you even better now - nothing better than learning from your mistakes :)