You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cangling the Darrot?

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat

....I lose a fortune through people dangling flippin carrots!!!!! 

Comments

• edited March 2010

Or are you - Dangling the Carrot?

Dangling the Carrot (We've all done it right?)

Lets say you have pocket 6's, Flop comes 3,6,Q, now you check, Villain bets, you call, Turn comes J, Villain now has two pair, Queens & Jacks, you check so villain pot bets, you call, river comes 10, you place small bet so he thinks he's still in the driving seat, he pot bets again, now you can either call or raise (whichever you choose) the result will be the same. The cards turn over and...............WAM!! BAM!!!! THANK YOU MAN!! You take down a nice little pot and leave villain feeling very frustrated. Which I Call "Dangling the Carrot"

If this is common practice on the tables, then other players are using it on you, so there must be an opposite which I can only describe as..............Cangling the Darrot!

How many of you and how many times can you use this weapon in your game during a tournament?
    Can it be done consistently?
    Does it work better in Cash, Sit n Go or MTT games?
    Or do some of you think, "this strategy is far too risky" and shove your money in on the flop?

• edited March 2010
    Lol Dohhhh.
    Yes much to my dismay I have also come a cropper to people dangling the carrot. Just when you think your miles ahead, your chipstack gets damaged beyond repair.

I can still feel the pain now lol.

Its difficult to combat this tactic as it usually happens when you least expect it.
  • edited March 2010

Yehh....normally they dangle it, as Im gonna play back at them whateve my hand, normally its a bonus if I have one, which I like to think is the reason I get full value for hands....

But your right....against aggro players, the carrot trick is definitely a one which will work. In my 2nd HU session v nutter, he used this alot, as HU he knew I was bluffing alot, and his littl half pot bets, got raised alot of the time, then I'd be punished. 

It is also a good way to calm down an agro player, I suspect this would work best in tournaments. Someone playing strong from the button, maybe worth calling the bb, and leading any flop, for 40% of the pot, with a pre-meditated plan to 3 bet no matter what happens. If you do this, and it works, Im sure you will have an easier time of it playing your big blind next time......

Great move though and good post, can be used to bluff as well as get value.

DOHH
  • edited March 2010
    POKERTREV!!! - THIS GUY....WENT DANGLING IN MY FACE!!!!

Seriously though, this hand was around the bubble in that tourny we played last night.....I want some serious hand analysis here. It fits in with the title of the discussion.....I really really was so close to shoving here, as I believe Im ahead. Onthe flop, I put him on TJh, TQh, TKh, KJh or KQh !!!!

The flat call on the flop followed by a weak lead...re-affirmed my suspicions....I had the raise bar dragged to all in, and the  cursor on the button.....but bottled it.

My instincts were screaming at me!!! Bt I ignored them. I sooo wanna know if they were right, and have posted this on the PMH request thing....

Some people will look once and laugh it off saying easy fold, but is it? - I saw DAN make a genius instinctive call on the show last night, and it doesnt really matter how bad your hand is as long as it is better than the other guys, and with 1 crd to come, I know TEN JACK through to QK of hearts is always gonna call, but I'm a favourite....

I went on to come 2nd, so I guess it taught me survival is key (playing sober for the first time in months btw)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Marsman Small blind  400.00 400.00 10350.00
    hazzer Big blind  800.00 1200.00 13905.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

leachrfc Fold     
    POKERTREV Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  2123.00 3323.00 11177.00
    Marsman Fold     
    hazzer Call  1323.00 4646.00 12582.00
    Flop

hazzer Bet  1600.00 6246.00 10982.00
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  4321.00 10567.00 6856.00
    hazzer Call  2721.00 13288.00 8261.00
    Turn

hazzer Bet  2400.00 15688.00 5861.00
    DOHHHHHHH Fold     
    hazzer Muck     
    hazzer Win  15688.00  21549.00
  • edited March 2010
    I don't like anything orange, except oranges.
  • edited March 2010
    It's commonly known as rope-a-dope, Trev.

I tried it on Supernova a couple of nights ago and she drew the straight on the river. Guess which dope was roped that time :(
  • edited March 2010
    Played the right way I think trips is one of the hardest hands to put people on and can be so destructive/profitable to your stack as pointed out in Pokertrev's example. 
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Dohhhh.

Looking at the hand you posted, I personally think villain was dangling his carrot.

You raise £2123.00 pr-flop and villain calls, so at this point I would have put villain on similar hands to those you suggested, however, flop comes down 9,5,3. and I would be happy to say that villain has non of the flop. You then raise £4321.00 and he still calls to the turn? the turn come 2 and he bets £2400.00 - This is where the range of hands I was putting him on change. I have now got to put him on a pocket pair and he either has a monster JJ, QQ, KK, AA and he is just making value bets to maximise his return or, he has a mid to low pair and he's afraid of commiting all his chips because you may have a bigger pair. In either case I think you were right to fold.

I think your decision to fold saved your touny life and from this you went on to finish 2nd - so was it the right decision to fold? I think so.

It was a pleasure to share a table with you even thou I didn't quiet make it into the money thou lol.

Last night I stayed to watch you play the touny to its conclusion and I was very impressed with the way you played and some of your play was very controlled at crusial times in the tourny. I think the TP experience has served you well and given your game a whole new edge. Very well done on Cashing M8ty